IBS and water additives

MrsFarrow
MrsFarrow Posts: 326 Member
My goal for this month is to consistently drink the daily recommended intake of water. I'm ok with drinking "plain" water, but at this point I'm also trying to eliminate all sodas. I'm allowing myself one diet, caffeine free Coke a day for a week, to ween myself off. After that, I can see myself wanting to get creative with my water!

My one issue is I have IBS, and even the no calorie no anything single powders give me issues. Has anyone else with the same issues found anything that helps? Or am I bound to just adding lemon juice to my water to make it festive?

Replies

• rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Try adding cucumber and mint! And orange slices! Or lime juice! Yummmmm

As far as the mixes, I don't have any problems, I just don't really like them.

Hope this helps
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    I can not drink ANYTHING with Splenda in it. Or Malodextrin......holy uproar in the belly....it does not like it...AT ALL. I can, however drink the Propel powder in my water...nothing in that seems to bother me at all.....and I use it to get my water intake in, too. :)
  • CKMama81
    CKMama81 Posts: 50
    I drink a lot of the Powerade Zero Strawberry or Berry when I'm craving something with a taste to it. I've got IBS as well and it truly makes things hard...I'm surprised you can drink pop! Brown colored pop really does me in so I haven't had any in months and months!
  • loriannmartin
    loriannmartin Posts: 209 Member
    have you tried the new MIO ? i love it.... no calories... i have IBS and this doesnt bother me... now if i take a motrin , ibup. or any NSAIDS forget it ibs KICKS IN AND I HAVE TO TAKE MY MEDS. they sell it at target and walmart in the drink isle
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Tried that, also and I liked it, too!! :)
  • shellbell1993
    shellbell1993 Posts: 315 Member
    I also have IBS and I limit myself to one crystal light added to a 250 ml water bottle a day and then just regular water the rest of the day. I am not a soda drinker (typically) once and a bluemoon. So this seems to work for me, so far. The only time my stomach acts up lately if stress gets to be too great. And I stick to a "normal" amount of fiber and water ratio.
    I use to have a rough time of it but I think trial and error of what works best for me has come into play when it comes to IBS.
    Good Luck (water gets very boring)
  • GinjaNinja1
    GinjaNinja1 Posts: 19 Member
    just wheen yourself onto water slowly, youll find it quite amazing. Use natural things like lemons, limes, oranges etc... A lot of the additives have either sugar, sucralose, or aspertame. These things don't help with weight lose, not to mention the other health issues that go along with them.
  • MrsFarrow
    MrsFarrow Posts: 326 Member
    I've heard Mio is pretty good, I'll have to try it along with the cucumber and mint! Sounds refreshing!

As far as soda (or pop, haven't heard that in years!!!) it does give me issues sometimes. Mountain Dew and the suuuper sugary ones give me the most grief, but diet caffeine free coke doesn't so much. In moderation. If I drink like, 5 bottles of it, oh heck yes!