How do you stay motivated?

Options
Well Im not trying to lose weight but I am trying to get in shape and get fit. I do good for a few days with exercising and making sure to eat healthy but then I get lazy and quit for a few days, then I start up again. I dont know anyone in the area so I dont have anyone to go to the gym with. Im wondering what you guys do to stay motivated on those days when you get lazy?

Replies

• koolcatkaren
    Options
    I remind myself how good I will feel once my workout is over. Even if I'm super tired I always force myself to do at least 20 minutes of cardio....once you are at the gym or outside walking/running, you tend to do more than you planned. And you always feel better when it's over! I also bring my gym clothes with me to work on the days I can't go in the morning, and don't even allow myself the option to go home first. I just leave work and mindlessly drive to the gym. If you can change into your gym gear at work, do it! It makes a huge difference b/c you are dressed and have no excuse!!! Good luck staying motivated!
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    The answer lies in the first sentence...
  • Xandi
    Xandi Posts: 319
    Options
    I enjoy my workout,
    It is easy to get motivated when you feel so good after you workout.
    I also like to relax in the sauna.
    So that is a treat for me.
  • ubabe1
    ubabe1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    ...the mirror, warm summer days, women older than myself that are in better shape, my husband...and all the cute clothes I'm going to buy!!! LOL!!! Your motivation should be yourself first...be healthy, live healthy!!!!
  • TatysTurn
    TatysTurn Posts: 15
    Options
    Plan the trip of your life...you wil have to buy new clothe and walk a lot,so will need to be in shape.
    My goal is Italy this year....
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    This is a copy of something I wrote on another thread.

"Just for Today:I will focus on ideas vs reality, or what I like to call "The Rear View Mirror Principle".

During the day a lot of thoughts and ideas come to me: "I want to have a fuzzy sock day. I want to lay in bed all day and read a book. I want to eat junk food. I want to watch movies that I haven't watched in a while. Exercise is too hard. Eating right sucks. A nap would be more fun the a stroll on the dreadmill." Last night, post workout, I read someone's status that they were trying to get up the enthusiam for a workout, but a nap sounded better. It struck me how often (Most minutes of every day) I have the same thoughts. But having already completed my workout for the day, I was able to honestly say, that although the idea of the nap is better going forward, the reality of the workout is way better in the rear view mirror. What do you want to see in your rear view mirror at the end of the day?"