Greek yogurt?

robinsonmama
robinsonmama Posts: 6 Member
edited September 26 in Food and Nutrition
Okay I have a question. My friends keep telling me about Greek Yogurt so before I go and buy some, I have a few questions. Is it clumpy or is it smooth? I have a big issue with this. I do not eat the fruit on the bottom stuff, I will not eat stuff that looks like cottage cheese. It has to be extremely smooth. I eat Dannon Light and Fit and Yoplait. I cannot eat the stuff that looks like old , sour milk. Sorry for the complaints, I want to try it but was not sure.

Replies

• e1lindsay
    e1lindsay Posts: 230
    it's pretty smooth, BUT if you get the fruity or vanilla flavored ones they are SUPER high in sugar, so make sure you check labels. i buy non-fat plain greek yogurt, and flavor it myself with vanilla, honey and some kind of fruit. if you don't flavor the plain, it's tastes like sour cream...not advised!
    Greek yogurt is FILLED with protein and better for you then regular yogurt with is too sugary!
  • Xandi
    Xandi Posts: 319
    You shouldn't have any problems.
    it isn't clumpy or lumpy... just like dannon or yoplait!
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    I eat the Chobani Greek Yogurt and it is smooth. I like the Vanilla and Honey.
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Greek yogurt is really good, and better for you than regular yogurt, which I'm sure your friend has told you.
    It is very smooth, like a sour cream consistency; not cottage cheese or anything else with lumps.

The taste of the plain kind though, isn't very pleasing (kinda tastes like sour cream, actually), so you might want to add your own fruit; I like slicing fresh strawberries, or other berries. I also hate the "fruit at the bottom" yogurt, but it's definitely better when I add it fresh. But, if you still can't do that, squeeze some honey and mix it up, and it will be amazing!
  • gagaboo
    gagaboo Posts: 8 Member
    Greek yogurt has the same consistancy as sour cream. And you can use plain GY for a sour cream substitute! I like the plain, non fat, because it's thick and creamy. I add splenda, vanilla, and toasted almonds. Very tasty and no sugar!
  • aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Find some Fage brand, it's the best and doesn't come with the fruit already mixed in (which gets gross and watery) - it's in a separate compartment and you mix it in yourself, so you can add as much or little as you want. It's very smooth and creamy texture, thicker than American yogurt. I think getting the 2% over the fat free is totally worth it.
  • slp2112
    slp2112 Posts: 107
    Just like the second person to post, I buy plain greek yogurt (Fage, both 0% and 2% - don't be afraid of fat!) and add my own things to it (fruit, cereal, etc.). It's so smooth, and really thick and delicious. It's part of my breakfast every morning!
  • bethany41h
    bethany41h Posts: 218
    I'm really weird about texture as well. But I really like greek yogurt. It is smooth. The Chobani pomegranate has seeds in it which really bothers me. If you don't want your yogurt to crunch, steer clear of that one! But I actually think Chobani is one of the ones that is higher in sugar so you may want to compare a couple.
  • chasing_130
    chasing_130 Posts: 43 Member
    I had the Yoplait 2x Protein Greek yogurt (peach) and hated it. It was wayyy too thick for my liking and made me want to gag. The vanilla honey one wasn't as bad though.
  • JMJohnson1005
    JMJohnson1005 Posts: 209 Member
    I was funny about it too, bur I like the Oikos brand Caramel flavor. It is smooth. The caramel is on the bottome to mix in, but it is still good. I also bought the chocolate one and only had one bite of the one my son was eating and I don't know if I like that one or not. I guess I will find out this week. I also like the Dannon Light and Fit like you. My favorite flavor of those are the Key Lime.
  • buffalogal1979
    buffalogal1979 Posts: 236 Member
    And since we are asking questions about Greek yogurt I have one too - why is it so much better than the Yoplait or Dannon? Reading the labels it seems basically the same with some more protein and yes, slightly less sugar. But it is REALLY expensive! I can get a large container or Yoplait for $1.99 and the Chobani is $5.69 for fewer ounces - what's the deal??
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    I get Chobani Greek yogurt with the fruit in it and just mix it well. it is very very creamy and smooth. if you don't want fruit in it then you can buy the vanilla or plain. I would suggest mixing the yogurt before you eat it because there can be some natural setteling that occurs. It's quite yummy though!
  • cptino
    cptino Posts: 46 Member
    I have recently started eating Greek yogurt. I find that it is very smooth, however, I think it is very thick. It was hard for me to get used to that. The consistency reminded me of sour cream. Very good though!
  • doramouse
    doramouse Posts: 160
    Greek Yogurt is so good!
    I used to eat yoplait but then I noticed it has high fructose corn syrup -now I won't buy it.
    Try a couple different brands of the greek yogurt - I"ve tried 4 and they are all a little different but all good.
    It's thicker than yoplait but i like that
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    I too like Chobani. It has fruit on the bottom but if you stir stir stir, it gets all mixed up and kinda disappears. It's delicious.

I stay away from Yoplait - it uses Aspartame as a sweetner. I've read too many VERY BAD things about what aspartame can do to a body. I avoid it like the plague!
  • hmazurkiewicz360
    hmazurkiewicz360 Posts: 9 Member
    I have to agree with e1lindsey...very smooth but unfortunately the best one for you is the the plain and (well i hate sour cream) it definitely tastes like it. I found chopping up strawberries then putting in a baggie and kinda squishing them around to get some juice then pouring it in helps A LOT!! but e1lindsey i like the hoey and other ideas...ill try that next : )
  • ubabe1
    ubabe1 Posts: 144 Member
    I tried Greek yogurt but didn't care for the texture or taste. I choose a local brand (Sunnyside Farms) that is fat-free and only 5 to 6 grams of sugar.
  • I love Siggi's or Oikos - i love vanilla flavor and just mix in my own fresh fruit
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    I'm the pickiest eater in the world, don't like lumps either and I eat Chobani vanilla yogurt all the time. Just make sure that you store the container upright and eat pretty soon after buying or it starts to separate and you end up with liquid on top or on the side. If this happens, I just pour it off before eating.
  • I love the Chobani and I would get the Vanilla (but mix it up first, there is sometimes, like someone said before, natural settling and it looks slightly clumpy but nothing a spoon can't fix fast).

I personally love the Peach because it only have a little fruit at the bottom, just enough to give it that yummy, sweet peach flavor.
This discussion has been closed.