Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What to do with compliments...

I do love getting compliments on my weight loss, but when the same people say the same thing week after week it gets repetitive. Plus, the more someone says something, the more I think I looked so bad before.

I am not complaining, but what do I say when people, and often the same people, give me compliments? I don't want to keep saying the same thing, but they are all saying the same thing week after week.

This is not high on my list of problems, but just wanted to see if this happened to other people as well.

Replies

• modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Yes! As happy as I am that I am so fit and firm I get tired of the same people commenting on how much weight I have lost and asking what I am doing. I do know I looked bad before though and I am all good with that!
  • TiffanyDawn79
    TiffanyDawn79 Posts: 201 Member
    Just say "Thank you so much" and move on with the convo. :)
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    I would take it in the spirit in which it's meant: they're noticing your efforts and trying to support you. I've had people say the same thing repeatedly too. I flash them a big smile and genuinely thank them. Lots of people don't notice, or don't bother saying anything, or say something much worse.
  • fullofhope
    fullofhope Posts: 78 Member
    You say "Thank you, I'm happy you noticed!" And you leave it at that.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    I don't hate it at all and I genuinely say thank you, because dang it I am working hard and I like that people notice. My bosses wife says it to me every time she sees me. It is nice because sometimes I go a week or two without seeing her and she does notice. I like it!!
  • keepsiejess
    keepsiejess Posts: 51 Member
    Maybe they keep hoping the answer will be something besides hard work and mindful eating. :wink:
  • lukimakamai
    lukimakamai Posts: 498 Member
    I just say, "Aw, thanks," smile and move on...I love the compliments and it helps me stay motivated! I don't mind that it is the same co-workers week after week and the same thing, "Hey, skinny minny." I'll take it!!!!!!!!!!! :happy:
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Maybe they keep hoping the answer will be something besides hard work and mindful eating. :wink:

LOL.....that it definately it with some of them!
  • mfpchris
    mfpchris Posts: 279 Member
    I always add "yeah, I'm trying" ..... "Thank you. Yeah, I've been trying"

Just in case folks wonder if I'm sick or something, let's 'em know it is
    me and my doctors plan and I am right on it.
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    When I lost a lot of weight 2 yrs ago I kept on getting "your bum is so much smaller" over and over again (because the people I see most frequently are my cycling mates and they see me mostly from behind). It did get a bit old after a while but a quiet thank you is all that is needed, and maybe we need to be better at accepting compliments in general, and this gives you a bit of practice.

GG