Food Dehydrator?

Options
diegelman
diegelman Posts: 55 Member
Sitting down to my nightly cup of tea, and our brand new food dehydrator is buzzing away with fruit in it! Does anyone have any good recipies to use? Thanks!

Replies

• MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I used to do beef jerky in one. Making your own you can control the sodium.
  • diegelman
    Options
    bump
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I make fruit leathers (just pureed fruit, a little lemon juice for color control, smeared on parchment paper cut to fit the tray), dehydrate bananas, strawberries, apples, pears for snacks.

I've dehydrated bell peppers, mushrooms, hot chiles and tomatoes to season pots of beans
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I have one but my first attempt turned my bananas way too hard. I assume I dried them too long. How long do different types of fruit take?
  • tjandjmkahrs
    tjandjmkahrs Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I love to do the fruit leather, but I cheat a bit. Just pour unsweetened applesauce on the paper and dry!!
  • diegelman
    Options
    awesome i didn't know that parchment paper would work since it has no holes lol. I think I will get some berries to try this tomorrow!
  • VeganMinx
    VeganMinx Posts: 11
    Options
    I have acquired TONS of dehydrator recipes over the last three years but rarely every use mine -

Blueberry Flax Pancakes

1/2 C flax seeds (ground)
    1 C flax seeds (not ground)
    3 T coconut oil melted
    /4 C agave
    1/2 C water
    1 C blueberries
    1/4 C coconut (unsweetened, dried)
    Mix all ingredients. Dehydrate at 145 for one hour, flip and then dehydrate for 30 minutes at 114. Makes 5, 5″ pancakes. These are very filling!!

Broccoli Bites
    2 cups broccoli florets
    1 cup sunflower seeds
    1/4 cup pine nuts
    1/4 cup onions, chopped
    1 large clove garlic
    3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    1 tablespoon fresh parsley
    1/2 teaspoon sea salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    ¼ teaspoon fresh nutmeg

In a coffee grinder, grind sunflower seeds to a breadcrumb like consistency. Add ground sunflower seeds and the rest of the ingredients to a food processor. Process until the mixture turns into a paste. Transfer mixture to a bowl and refrigerate at least a half. Scoop out a teaspoon of mixture, roll into a ball with the palms of your hands. Place on a dehydrator tray then place in the dehydrator. Remember to turn midway through dehydrating. Dehydrate about 4-5 hours.

Cheez-Its

1 cup sunflower seeds (soaked 4 hrs and dehydrated)
    1 cup Brazil nuts (soaked and dehydrated)
    1 cup almonds (soaked and dehydrated)
    1 big tomato
    1 cup red pepper, diced
    1 tsp cumin
    2 tsp salt
    1 Tbsp taco seasoning
    1 tsp onion powder
    1 tsp garlic powder

Process all ingredients and spread on teflex or parchment paper. They can be as thin as you like. After a few hours score with a knife or pizza cutter and leave until dry on top. Flip over and leave until crispy. Approximately 8 - 12 hours depending on thickness.

Kale Chips

1 bunch of kale
    1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    1 tsp salt

Remove ribs from kale and place in bowl. Add olive oil and salt to bowl and massage the ingredients into the kale. Lay on lined dehydrator trays. Dehydrate at 115 degrees F for about 4-6 hours or until crisp.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    My mom bought one about 10 years ago and never touched it. I think I'll "borrow" it the next time I'm home :bigsmile: .