Awright weightlifters... give me some advice!

Options
So I'm new to the weightlifting thing. I've always done cardio but weightlifting was intimidating (the weights part of the gym always seems so male-dominated; I always felt like I was breaking some kind of code by getting on a bench with some little weights).

But I started on a whim and now I love it!

So... (no pressure)... I want to know how much you lift and how many reps, how many circuits and how often, what results you've seen in your body, and recommendations from folks that have been there.

Do you prefer free weights or machines? do you do the same thing over and over or change it up?

Let this be a conversational, advice-giving weightlifting thread.

Thanks!

Replies

• believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    There are thousands of different weight-lifting exercises.. it'd be impossible to tell you specifically how much I lift for each, but I can answer your other questions.

I do anywhere from 10-15 reps, depending on the body part/weight/intensity. My session lasts about 45 mins - 60 mins. I don't do circuits. I've seen a TON of muscle mass gain, and fat is disappearing slowly. Simple daily things like carrying groceries are easier! I prefer free weights - it's more of a challenge and works more muscles. But on days where I just want to "zone out" or I'm not in the mood - machines. There's less chance of improper form on machines. I change it up. I have 4 routines made for me by my trainer, and I vary them throughout the week. It's important to do that!

My suggestion - get a personal trainer just for a session or two. They're expensive, but it will be SO worth it. He/she can show you the PROPER form, because without it, you may be hurting yourself (or worse, not working ANY muscles or making any progress!). You don't want to waste your time! I've learned so much from mine, and I only see him once a month or so, for an hour.

Edit for a typo, of course, lol. (it's late!).
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    My workouts vary according to what I feel like doing. I do recommend doing at least 2 exercises per body part, and splitting your workouts into either upper body/lower body days, or push/pull days. There are a lot of sites that will give you good workout routines, or you can stick with something like 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps. Some days I feel like supersetting, some I will rest 45 seconds between sets. The benefit of supersetting, or circuits is it does get your heartrate up to help burn fat while you are lifting. If I want to increase strength I will rest between sets though to give me more energy to make the lift.

Last week I did one full body circuit, one upper body circuit, then one leg workout. On my off days I did Hiit cardio.

Free weights will give you a lot better workout than the machines. The more compound your lifts the better your results will be. Free weights will help develop your stabalizer muscles, and they incorporate your core better than the machines. For the most part though, machines can be a little safer if you are unsure about your form. I don't use a spotter, so I when I bench I have to be careful, and can't go to complete failure, unless I am working with dumbbells.
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    1-2 bodyparts per workout
    3-6 exercises per bodypart
    2-4 sets per exersice
    5-8 reps per set (although sometimes i'll go as low as 3 reps or as high as 12 if i'm warming up)
    i'll usually go to failure on my last set if it's a compound lift
    usually takes between 60-90 minutes
  • Shawnalee0703
    Shawnalee0703 Posts: 1,093
    Options
    you are going to get an overwhelming amount of feedback here... it may even be hard to follow... and everyone will think they are right lol

I do 5 circuits usually (each one 3x)
    my reps vary, definitely from 6reps to 25 reps.... depending on whether it's a heavy weight or lighter to failure.
    I sometimes split my days... pushing one day, pulling another.
    I do cardio mixed in with my circuits, like 2 min jog or 1 min jumping jacks, mountain climbers or burpees to keeo my heart rate up.

I have lost a lot of body fat in circuit training and it is far from boring, or at least I think so. :-D
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 program.
    Bench plus dips and bent rows
    overhead press plus push press and chinups

when not injured :(
    deadlifts plus stiff leg dead lifts and good mornings
    squats plus front squat and bulgarian split squat

All assistance exercises are 10x5 and attempt to increase weight 2lbs per workout.

Heaps of info here
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/how_to_build_pure_strength

and occasionally I chuck in a strength training circuit as discussed here :)

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/lose_fat_stay_strong
    This is killer!
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    lifting is awesome.

remember women and men have the same muscles and we grow muscle at the same rate.
    i suggest getting the book 'the new rules of lifting for women'. join bodybuilding.com as they have tons of articles and the forums are informative.

i only lift now, and i use HST, hypertrophy specific training. it is complicated for beginners. but on it my strength has increased 50-60%. to gain muscle you need to eat, so have a calorie surplus. i use both machines and free weights. machines usually are only isolation exercises, meaning they work just one muscle. the best bang for your buck is to do compound lifts. meaning you engage lots of muscles doing one type of exercise. the big ones are squats, dead lifts, rows, pull ups/dips, bench press. they also engage the abdominals, and the only extra ab workout i'd suggest is the plank.

you cant build muscle and lose fat the same time. i dont split. i do all body 3 times a week. i rest a day or two in between. remember that form is important, if you are doing it wrong, you could injure yourself and the workout wont be as effective.

good luck.
  • believetoachieve
    Options
    remember women and men have the same muscles and we grow muscle at the same rate.

you cant build muscle and lose fat the same time. i dont split.

Males and females have a VERY different physiology! Males/females definitely don't grow muscle at the same rate, not a chance. It's much slower in females. It's not fair, but it's true. If males/females were the same, you'd see a lot more bulky women! We have to work out MUCH harder, and still don't see the same gains males do. Just ask any female body builder!

You can build muscle and lose fat at the same time. I'm doing it now - in combination with my personal trainer, doctor, and those nifty body composition tests, I'm being successful at it too :smile:
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options

You can build muscle and lose fat at the same time. I'm doing it now - in combination with my personal trainer, doctor, and those nifty body composition tests, I'm being successful at it too :smile:
    ditto! me too! Except the DR part haha I don't have one of those right now. But I am most definitely building muscle and losing fat at the same time. Although, I know a few guys who wish they can build muscle as quickly as me. Everyone is designed differently, that's for sure. :-D
  • believetoachieve
    Options

ditto! me too! Except the DR part haha I don't have one of those right now. But I am most definitely building muscle and losing fat at the same time. Although, I know a few guys who wish they can build muscle as quickly as me. Everyone is designed differently, that's for sure. :-D

I know - I've been watching your progress. You're a champ! I'm envious (in a good way!) of your awesome muscle-building ability. But you also put a lot of hard work into it, so you deserve it! :heart:
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options

I know - I've been watching your progress. You're a champ! I'm envious (in a good way!) of your awesome muscle-building ability. But you also put a lot of hard work into it, so you deserve it! :heart:
    You too!! Your run especially!! I so can't run! Lol I am considering c25k along with chalean ext....but I am undecided. :)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    same muscles maybe, different hormones definitely. Ask any guy with low testosterone how easy it is to gain muscle :)
  • BarBelle76
    Options
    Having just done my first powerlifting comp, I can at least tell you my max for 5 reps (current training programme is based on sets of 5) and 1 rep max for my main lifts. Girlie weights, but hey, I am a girl :-D

Main lifts are based on a 5x5 programme, 3 days a week with ascending weights for each of the sets. On heaviest squats and deadlifts I chuck my belt on, and wraps for squats (not cos I need them as such, but need to get used to the frankly horrible feeling!).

Squats:
    75kg 1RM
    65kg for 5 reps

Bench:
    45kg 1RM
    37.5kg for 5 reps

Deadlift:
    85kg 1RM
    75kg for 5 reps

Accessory training free weights:
    Standing shoulder press 20kg 3 x 8
    Bent over / upright rows 30kg 3 x 8
    Good mornings: 30kg 3 x 10
    Rackpulls 100kg for a single

Machines vary, and only use them for legs now:
    Legpress 140kg x 3 x 8
    Curls / extensions / abduction / adduction 45kg x 3 x 8-10

Haven't included everything, but you get the gist. Main lifts based on sets of 5, accessory exercises based on sets of 8-10.

My programme is very orientated towards powerlifting, but after a 12 week schedule, I may change to a different programme. If gains slow / stop, then it is time to re-evaluate.

Changes? Squats are amaaaazing for legs and *kitten* . . . :-p After losing 70lbs a few years ago, it's nice to see some definition happening in my upper arms which I thought were a lost cause at one point too!