Protein Shake

Options
Could you please share with me what you use and why and what brand?

Is it important for me to get some?

Replies

• mmachampionbjj
    Options
    Hey there i use BSC Hydroxy Burn Pro (Chocolate) twice a day very low carb and low fat high protein has lots of vitamins and minerals (I mix with water instead of milk, but milks ok if you use it as a meal replacement)

i train in martial arts really does help and has helped me drop weight

i think this stuff is important as with exercise and this stuff will help you build muscle which helps too lose weight, (Plus its got extra fat metablisors in it too help you!)

Hope this helps! good luck friend!
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Could you please share with me what you use and why and what brand?

Is it important for me to get some?

I use UNJURY Medical Whey Protein which was recommened to me by my physician and dietitian. It is delicous and so easy to use. You must order it from their website www.unjury.com and you are able to order a starter pack if you are unsure of the taste. This makes it very easy for me to get my 50-60 gms of protein in every day. I especially look forward to my nightly smoothie that I make with the powder.
  • msowens
    msowens Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I use BSN Syntha-6, strawberry milkshake flavor, mainly because I like the taste. If you're a carb watcher, it's got 14g of carbs to 22g of protein per scoop. It has definitely seemed to make a difference for me in the last couple of months.

It's primarily whey protein. Some people swear by soy protein, but I really don't like the taste and for some reason I don't digest soy as well as whey.

Whether you need it or not depends on what you are doing. For muscle building, I'd say yes, especially if you are trying to build bulk. But if you are just trying to get in shape or lose weight, it's less important.

One thing you can do to determine your nutritional needs is listen to your cravings. If you are craving candy, you probably have a carb deficiency. If you are craving meat or dairy, it's probably protein and/or fat deficiency. YMMV, of course, but that's what works for me.
  • gailygail99
    gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I use Isopure Low Carb Dutch Chocolate. It is a whey protein isolate which means that it is absorbed into the body faster. It is sugar free and very low carb. It says that a serving is 2 scoops, 220 cals and 50g of protein in about 12oz of water. I usually use 1 scoop in 6oz of water. I use a blender bottle and it disolves great to you dont need an actual blender. It only came in the 3lb container and I got it from the Vitamin Shoppee for $45. I love it!
  • Walt75
    Walt75 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey. Good stuff!! Chocolate Malt!! mmmmmmmmmm:)
  • kumarprabhat
    Options
    Hi,
    I too have started working out daily and manitoring my intake very closely.

As I am doing cardios as well as strength trainings, I was thinking of supplementing my intake with low-carb, low fat Protien shake/drink/bar. My aim is to help build my muscle mass and get other nutients which I might be missing otherwise.

It would be great if someone can suggest a good drink/shake/bar easily available in India / Bangalore?
  • theaimster
    Options
    Great question! I have been thinking about getting the Trader Joe's Whey Protein Shake Mix. Anyone tried it? I've heard it's great and works great to replace a meal...
  • gailygail99
    gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I too have started working out daily and manitoring my intake very closely.

As I am doing cardios as well as strength trainings, I was thinking of supplementing my intake with low-carb, low fat Protien shake/drink/bar. My aim is to help build my muscle mass and get other nutients which I might be missing otherwise.

It would be great if someone can suggest a good drink/shake/bar easily available in India / Bangalore?

Did you try look up Isopure on the internet? It is sugar free and VERY low carb!!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Vanilla Ice Cream and Double Chocolate. I think they both taste better than other protein powders I have used. They have 23 grams of protein and only 3 grams of carbs, so it's really a good protein source.

With that said, I don't think you have to get any protein powder. I like them because they are easy to take along and are filling.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Jay Robb's Whey Protein. It's a bit pricier but the animals that help produce it aren't all jacked up on hormones (which can't be said, for sure, about probably 90%+ of the proteins out there) and it's sweetened with Stevia. I've used Optimum Nutrition also and it's a good product.

A good protein shake is NOT a necessity if you can get it through the preferred method, whole food.
  • north35
    north35 Posts: 70
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!