Food in sky...

Options
canaussie
canaussie Posts: 168 Member
I am flying to Germany next week and need to come up with a game plan for the flight. I know you can pre-order a low fat diet, but the problem is, I am flying standby so they don't let us do that. Was thinking about packing my own food for the trip... any ideas?

On a side note, I am super excited about this trip. I am going to see my boyfriend who has been deployed since the start of the year. I am down about 30lbs since he last saw me and can't wait to show off my progress!

Replies

• Crys1209
    Crys1209 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I bet he's going to be super proud of you, that sounds like a fun trip.
    If anything pack some nuts since they are full of protein and will also help you feel full longer.
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Skip the aeroplane food and just pack your own meal, that way you'll know for sure how many calories you'll be having. It's not as if you'd be missing out on anything as aeroplane food is yucky anyway :noway:

p.s - well done on losing 30lbs, what a wonderful accomplishment :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    id take your own food if youre worried, and make a plan for the times you will eat it and spread it over the flight.
  • canaussie
    Options
    yeah, I think its the best idea to take my own food. at least then I know what I am getting!
  • canaussie
    Options
    any other ideas on food to take on the plane??
  • mwilson57
    mwilson57 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    How about some tuna packets (not the cans) and crackers or bread to serve them on. Granola or protein bars are another good option.
  • liveyourlifex
    liveyourlifex Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    granola bars for snacks, crackers, nuts, cereal in a baggie
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! Have fun in Germany. And I hear you about flying - it always messes up my attempts to eat healthy.

Trail mix or mixed nuts - Trader Joe's has awesome ones
    Cuties - the little clementine oranges. Very easy to peel and eat. If they get beaten up in your bag they'll still be eatable.
    Special K bars or other granola type bars.
    Fruit leather
    individually wrapped cheese sticks
    Tuna salad cans and crackers - might offend your seatmate if they hate tuna though.

What airline are you flying? Some of them actually have fairly reasonable food choices, especially if you don't eat the snack parts.

Don't forget an empty water bottle you can fill up at the water fountains in the departure lounge. I always get ridiculously thirsty on planes and in airports.
  • canaussie
    Options
    Thanks everyone... I am so excited about my trip next week... counting down the days and hours now! Less than 5 days and I will be on the plane! Whoooooo
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    How exciting, I hope you have a great trip!
    I'd suggest get the meal (if it is included!) you don't have to eat everything on the tray. When I flew recently I aye the main course (chicken curry and rice) and the cheese and crackers but left the bread, butter and mini chocolate bar.
    I also usually pack trail bars and apples, or you could take a peanut butter sandwich.
    Whatever you do, PLEASE don't take tuna! It is so strong smelling and would be very mean to your fellow passengers :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    How exciting, I hope you have a great trip!
    I'd suggest get the meal (if it is included!) you don't have to eat everything on the tray. When I flew recently I aye the main course (chicken curry and rice) and the cheese and crackers but left the bread, butter and mini chocolate bar.
    I also usually pack trail bars and apples, or you could take a peanut butter sandwich.
    Whatever you do, PLEASE don't take tuna! It is so strong smelling and would be very mean to your fellow passengers :)
  • GypsyWagon
    GypsyWagon Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Definitely pack food, and not just snack type items. Whenever my husband or I fly, I always pack us a bento. You can pack a lot into a small box and you can do a disposable container or one that you can fill for the return flight. There's nothing like having a good meal on a flight that can be stressful. And, it makes me cranky to pay airport prices for food...food that isn't even tasty. I like to do wraps (hummus/veggies), cheese, strawberries, blueberries, apple slices/almond butter, edamame, veggie sticks, salad. Just remember to adher to TSA policies in regards to liquids and sharps. And, as the above poster mentioned nothing too "stinky" or messy. I like to stick a wet wipe and a mint for after in there, too. Flickr has lots of bento threads.
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options

Good point - some people get really airsick and a strong tuna smell would most likely not help. I withdraw that suggestion. :) Save the tuna for road trips.
  • canaussie
    Options
    Yeah, would never do the tuna out of respect for my fellow passengers.... thanks! :)
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Definitely pack food, and not just snack type items. Whenever my husband or I fly, I always pack us a bento. You can pack a lot into a small box and you can do a disposable container or one that you can fill for the return flight. There's nothing like having a good meal on a flight that can be stressful. And, it makes me cranky to pay airport prices for food...food that isn't even tasty. I like to do wraps (hummus/veggies), cheese, strawberries, blueberries, apple slices/almond butter, edamame, veggie sticks, salad. Just remember to adher to TSA policies in regards to liquids and sharps. And, as the above poster mentioned nothing too "stinky" or messy. I like to stick a wet wipe and a mint for after in there, too. Flickr has lots of bento threads.

These are GREAT suggestions!