Keeping up calorie intake - with toothache??!!

Options
Hi

Have killer toothache (developed over weekend). :frown: Eating is v. painful. :sad:

What's the best way to make sure I keep up my calorie intake? Am struggling through a banana and even that is hurting a lot and you can't get much squidgier!!!! :frown:

Replies

• togden
    togden Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I felt your pain for a few days last week but now Im doped up on maximum strength ibuprofen until I can afford to get the tooth pulled then a bridge put in .... Can you chew on the opposite side of your mouth (thats what i was doing with soft foods to avoid having to hit my top and bottom teeth together, you also can puree some foods like vegetables and potatoes, eat soups but kinda high in sodium if they are canned, or maybe you can drink the protein smoothies and shakes .... Just some ideas!
  • tau_sigma
    Options
    Milkshake, if you like it? Not exactly the most balanced of diets, but I pretty much lived on it when I had a chest infection and couldn't stomach real food. Otherwise, perhaps soup, although I guess you'd have to make sure it was smooth rather than anything with chunks in.

Hope your toothache gets better soon :)
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    chocolate milk (milo / nesquick)

yoghurt (if you need extra calories, full fat yoghurt)

puree apple tubs (the ones for kids)
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Get some clove oil! Go to your local pharmacy and they should have some. It is supposed to relieve tooth aches. Hopefully it will do the job so you can eat without being in pain.
  • Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    Thanks lovely people!

The pain is from one front tooth on the bottom jaw, right at the front - so pretty much where you bite. I have managed to get an appointment for tomorrow - luckily I'm registered with an NHS dentist - but I suspect maybe just antibiotics or something. I have been to the hygenist lately and I suspect where she's cleaned in between the teeth, that there's a gap and something has gotten down there. Yuck.

Ibuprofen tabs are going down very well but I've run out now so will have to go to pharmacy at lunch time, so hopefully can get some clove oil at the same time.
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Nurishment milkshakes are great! They're full of everything you need and each one is 420 calories! Drink them through a straw and it shouldn't affect your tooth!

I just had dental surgery two weeks ago where they left me with a massive whole near my sinus cavity... eating was tough! But I just drank slim fast shakes and ate a lot of soup through a straw!
  • Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    Fleh. Been to dentist, and I have an abscess so have antibiotics but not supposed to start them until tomorrow. :frown:

More paracetamol and ibuprofen it is!