seriously! what is going on?

Options

Replies

• denisec26
    denisec26 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I think big part of this is what you are eating, having had a look at your diary. You are living primarily on processed foods. Not only does this put you over your sodium on many days, it also means that you are getting hidden sugars and excesssive carbs while skimping on protein. And boy, do you love carbs!

Here's what I would suggest:

-Try to cut out at least half of the processed/frozen food and pancake mix.
    -Aim to get at least half your body weight (in pounds) in protein grams each day. For someone who is regularly exercising, that is the minimum amount of protein needed.
    -When you use the 'quick add' calories, jot down what those were in the "Food Notes" section of your log. On many days, these 'quick add' calories are 25% of your day, which means you aren't actually tracking a very significant part of your eating plan right now.
    -Watch that sodium (this becomes much easier when you eat fewer processsed foods) and make sure you get all your water in.

i know everyones looking to help but u cant just go off like 2 days on my diary, the pancakes i had either sat or sun morning was the first time i made pancakes or ate pancakes in MONTHS. ive noticed i had too much sodium because i just added it to my diary a week ago to keep an eye on it. so i already cut out more prcosseced stuff and keep an eye on my sodium- the total is what MFp gave me. like i said, ive been making it a point to get 8 glasses a day which i have been, which is amazing for me. i dont drink..anything..ever..im good with like 2 glasses of liquid a day..so the fact that im forcing myself to get 8 is a small miracle.haha

I'm not 'going off 2 days in your diary'. I tried going back a month, but there was no logging until late March (interesting as you say you've been using MFP for a year). And I don't really see dramatic differences between the last week and late March. There's still a ton of sugar, carbs and processed food, although you do sometimes do better on protein.

You asked for suggestions. We offered some. Whether you choose to use them is completely up to you. But I will not be offering any more suggestions.

wow. first off, i always like MFP and that people talk and help eachother out, and i didnt give you an attitude or say you were wrong. u mentioned pancakes- i said i ate them a day ago for the 1st time in months, you also have to be rude and suggest i'm lying when i said ive been on this site for more then a year yet you didnt see a diary for 2 weeks or so..thats because i tried th eeating more cals for a while, and not worrying about this site to see if it helped, i watched what i ate and ate more and that didnt help either..and whatever my reason was for being gone for a few weeks doesnt mean you have to suggest im a liar (interesting as you say you've been using MFP for a year).you also dont have to say something like " But I will not be offering any more suggestions"
    just because i answered you back like i did to everyone else in this post..because its a conversation. someone suggests something, and if i have done it then i say thanks but i tried that. doesnt mean im being rude or ungrateful,i use this site for talking, info, friends and support an di dont need to have someone be rude or start drama, its stupid. so thanks for the advice that i eat **** food, and apparently havent noticed and havent been making an effort to change things an deat more fresh stuff. its not like u know any of my personal problems and why i cant eat all fresh fruit an dveggies and home cooked meals every single day without thinking about time or MONEY.
  • iambayd
    iambayd Posts: 235
    Options
    I think you're being inconsistent with your logging habits and exercise both. As others have pointed out, you don't finish some of your entries for some days and others with the quick add calories. I believe the quick add is good only if you are really pressed for time and cannot sit down and enter all the nutrition facts into the database. You have no real idea of how much sodium, protein, etc..you are really taking in. You say you started the shred and didn't finish it because it seems that you got discouraged because you weren't seeing any changes. Then you got your tattoo so you weren't working out until it healed. You have got to want this for yourself. Take the dvds you have and make a workout schedule and then stick to it. I have to do this every week and it seems to work fairly well. I also used to have trouble with water intake..in fact, I used to hate water. You could add some fresh fruit to it or even crystal light if it helps. Water intake is a huge factor in this. You have to change your mindset if you want change.
  • denisec26
    Options
    Ugh I know how you feel...but it's not just how much you're eating, it's WHAT you're eating. No judgement whatsoever (my diary shows my love for cakes and cookies - having a hard time with that!), but without being very consistent with healthy eating, you won't see results.

Where I can't stay away from cakes and cookies, I'd venture to say you LOVE pizza...lots of it in your diary. And cookies, too. If you want to lose, you've got to be strict. What are you doing for exercise?

yah im usually better with the sweets but idk, this past week or so its been hard..pms i think, craving something sweet. iam a new yoker and do love pizza..hahaha, i actually just went shopping a few days ago and bought all fresh stuff so im def aking an effort to switch up the food. thanks!
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt eat more, i think youre eating a good amount from what i can see, unless youre really tall. Youre not gonna lose weight by eating more, unless you were on a starvation diet to begin with, which you werent.

If youre eating that though and logging everything accurately and exercising and arent losing weight, id consider seeing the doctor and getting your hormones checked.
  • denisec26
    Options
    I think you're being inconsistent with your logging habits and exercise both. As others have pointed out, you don't finish some of your entries for some days and others with the quick add calories. I believe the quick add is good only if you are really pressed for time and cannot sit down and enter all the nutrition facts into the database. You have no real idea of how much sodium, protein, etc..you are really taking in. You say you started the shred and didn't finish it because it seems that you got discouraged because you weren't seeing any changes. Then you got your tattoo so you weren't working out until it healed. You have got to want this for yourself. Take the dvds you have and make a workout schedule and then stick to it. I have to do this every week and it seems to work fairly well. I also used to have trouble with water intake..in fact, I used to hate water. You could add some fresh fruit to it or even crystal light if it helps. Water intake is a huge factor in this. You have to change your mindset if you want change.
    hey, i actually drink all crystal light lemoande but cut the packet in half so its like 2 cals a glass.. lol, iam really pressed for time with having to watch a one year old all day everday hence the quick added. plus i'm on the go doing errands for most of the day. I work out everyday. i didnt so much get discouraged with a dvd, what happened is that i was doing jillian micahels banish fat one for months- maybe 7 or 8? and wasnt seeing much of a change, granted i did other dvds too but that was my main one. i started the 30 day shred, did all of L 1- no change, got my tattoo, and actually did the treadmill the few days i couldnt work out my arm while it healed, then went back to the 30 day shred and started with level 2. its day 5 today and i also do zumba with it everyday.
  • AFitasticYou
    Options
    Jillian Michaels said this:
    Smart Tip: If you're looking to shed those last 10-20lbs, you need to increase the intensity of your workouts. I don’t want to see you carrying a conversation on with some good looking guy or girl next to you on the elliptical. I want you breathless, heart pumping, working around 85% of your MHR. Then cut the booze, processed foods, reduce sodium to 1500mg a day & up your water intake to 80oz. Voila - skinny jeans.
  • denisec26
    Options
    Jillian Michaels said this:
    Smart Tip: If you're looking to shed those last 10-20lbs, you need to increase the intensity of your workouts. I don’t want to see you carrying a conversation on with some good looking guy or girl next to you on the elliptical. I want you breathless, heart pumping, working around 85% of your MHR. Then cut the booze, processed foods, reduce sodium to 1500mg a day & up your water intake to 80oz. Voila - skinny jeans.
    ahah yah her dvds KILL me. im pretty sure im gonna have a heart attack one of these days..haha, sure feels like it. i workout at home so no cute guys around..haha, no booze for me either although i think it was a lil more then a week ago that i realized i can add sodium to my diary, so now that i have that, i can keep an eye on it, i cant really go from MFP's sodium goal to 1500 overnight so im trying to do less and less over time.and get down to 1500
  • iambayd
    iambayd Posts: 235
    Options
    hey, i actually drink all crystal light lemoande but cut the packet in half so its like 2 cals a glass.. lol, iam really pressed for time with having to watch a one year old all day everday hence the quick added. plus i'm on the go doing errands for most of the day. I work out everyday. i didnt so much get discouraged with a dvd, what happened is that i was doing jillian micahels banish fat one for months- maybe 7 or 8? and wasnt seeing much of a change, granted i did other dvds too but that was my main one. i started the 30 day shred, did all of L 1- no change, got my tattoo, and actually did the treadmill the few days i couldnt work out my arm while it healed, then went back to the 30 day shred and started with level 2. its day 5 today and i also do zumba with it everyday.

Maybe your body is has gotten used to the exercises you are doing then. It is important to change things up to add a shock to your system so your body will respond. I have a ten month old and work so I know how time gets stretched and there is rarely any to spare, but sometimes we have to do things for ourselves if it is necessary to get to a goal we have set.
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! My weight is gradually going up. I thought maybe it was from strength training which I started doing 2 times a week but I'm not sure. No inches lost here either. I think it might have to do with my carb intake as I've been adding a lot more fruits to my diet which I thought was a good thing but it's often putting me over on carbs. Props to all the skinny girls- it's harder when you only have just a few pounds to lose! I feel like the rest of the weight I've lost previously came off with a lot more ease. I'm not sure if I'm eating too much.. 1300-1400 /day. I've read when you are smaller you burn less at rest so you should eat less but I've been restricting for so long I just want to eat! When I was heavier and losing I was eating 1200. Thanks for asking... lots of helpful responses here!
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! My weight is gradually going up. I thought maybe it was from strength training which I started doing 2 times a week but I'm not sure. No inches lost here either. I think it might have to do with my carb intake as I've been adding a lot more fruits to my diet which I thought was a good thing but it's often putting me over on carbs. Props to all the skinny girls- it's harder when you only have just a few pounds to lose! I feel like the rest of the weight I've lost previously came off with a lot more ease. I'm not sure if I'm eating too much.. 1300-1400 /day. I've read when you are smaller you burn less at rest so you should eat less but I've been restricting for so long I just want to eat! When I was heavier and losing I was eating 1200. Thanks for asking... lots of helpful responses here!

Just wanted to add that as you get closer to your goal weight you will want to eat more not less. You want to build up to your maintenance calories. I have 8lbs to lose and am eating 1560 calories a day and eating back most if not all of my exercise calories.
  • sam23030
    sam23030 Posts: 76
    Options
    One other thing with the water intake, I've always had the same problem with not drinking enough. I often don't fancy a drink, especially water. What I have started doing is having a small water bottle, holds either 75ml or 1 litre of water, I drink this sat at my desk at work or you could carry it around with you and I've found that by just having it there, I tend to drink more and now get through most of allowance just at work. Also its easier to calculate how much you've had and for some strange reason I do prefer to drink from the bottle!
  • Natalie0506
    Natalie0506 Posts: 163
    Options

I don't want to be rude, but you really do seem to have a lot of excuses. I have 3 kids at home with me all the time, and yet I have the time to add my foods correctly, eat properly, work out, and lose weight. My kids are 16 months, 3 1/2, and 5. I don't understand what's so hard with taking 5 minutes and adding your calories and other nutrients correctly. You don't seem to like what everyone here is saying, so it makes me think that you just want people to feel sorry for you and tell you that you're doing everything you can, when in fact, you're not. You're eating crap food, not enought fruits or veggies, way too much salt and sugar, and you're not working out enough. That's why you're gaining. If you want to continue to lose weight, you're going to have to change what you're doing. Everyone here is VERY supportive when you're working to help yourself. But excuses won't get you anywhere.
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Ok...I have read all of the replys to your question, and taken a look at your diary...and here is what I see.

You are in fact eating alot of processed foods...which have a tremendous amount of sodium. And you dont really drink alot of water. Yes, I understand that you are drinking MORE water, but you need to drink MORE than MORE...Also, you are eating a good amount of bread.

I was in a similar situation not long ago. I though just because I ate under my alloted calories, that it didnt matter WHAT made those calories up. I only ate ONE hotdog,...so that was good,..right? WRONG.

This go round, I have cut almost all processed foods....drank more water than I ever thought possible. cut out my salt completely.....and have had great success. I do still eat something here or there, but honestly, try not to ....and just the other day...I ate a whole bag of steam fresh brocolli...and thought nothing of it...after all...its brocolli..and the calories were low for the entire bag....what i didnt realize was my god..the sodium was out of this world....and guess what?? Weigh in was the next day....and It showed that I had GAINED.

I am not gonna bash your consumption of cakes, or cookies, because I AM one to have to have something sweet....but I choose them wisely, if possible.

I wont comment on whether you are eating enough, or not, because without you really logging everything, that is kind of hard to say. I think that you just honestly need to get a bit more committed, be honest with yourself, cut those processed foods....drink more water....and stick with it....knowing that yes, the less weight you have to lose, the harder it will be to come off...but you should in no way be gaining weight if you do all the above.

Good luck, and hang in there.
    Also, you need to log everything...every day!! It helps, really....even though you are busy with your baby girl...who by the way is adorable......you have to make the time. Make the time for YOU...if you really want this!!
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I've skimmed the comments and replies...

Here are my thoughts...change it up. If you've been consistent with eating 1200 cals - try to eat a little more. If you've been eating 1500, eat 1400. Maybe change up what you eat. I know you've said you are picky - I am too. But, maybe focus more on one thing than another. Its hard to stay away from processed and sodium - I eat them all the time - maybe just add an apple to your lunch or something. I really don't know but change might do you good. I know if I've been stagnant for some time and just eat craziness one day and don't work out it seems to throw a wrench into my body and I might even lose.

Outside of things mentioned and what you've tried or not tried I would suggest talking with your dr. If you've tried higher and lower calories, different workouts, drinking more water, changing everything up - maybe its a hormone thing. Maybe your body can't process the foods you are giving it correctly because of an internal issue. Getting tested through your dr might give you some insight that you can't get anywhere else.

Good luck and I hope you figure out the magic combo soon.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I think big part of this is what you are eating, having had a look at your diary. You are living primarily on processed foods. Not only does this put you over your sodium on many days, it also means that you are getting hidden sugars and excesssive carbs while skimping on protein. And boy, do you love carbs!

Here's what I would suggest:

-Try to cut out at least half of the processed/frozen food and pancake mix.
    -Aim to get at least half your body weight (in pounds) in protein grams each day. For someone who is regularly exercising, that is the minimum amount of protein needed.
    -When you use the 'quick add' calories, jot down what those were in the "Food Notes" section of your log. On many days, these 'quick add' calories are 25% of your day, which means you aren't actually tracking a very significant part of your eating plan right now.
    -Watch that sodium (this becomes much easier when you eat fewer processsed foods) and make sure you get all your water in.

i know everyones looking to help but u cant just go off like 2 days on my diary, the pancakes i had either sat or sun morning was the first time i made pancakes or ate pancakes in MONTHS. ive noticed i had too much sodium because i just added it to my diary a week ago to keep an eye on it. so i already cut out more prcosseced stuff and keep an eye on my sodium- the total is what MFp gave me. like i said, ive been making it a point to get 8 glasses a day which i have been, which is amazing for me. i dont drink..anything..ever..im good with like 2 glasses of liquid a day..so the fact that im forcing myself to get 8 is a small miracle.haha

I'm not 'going off 2 days in your diary'. I tried going back a month, but there was no logging until late March (interesting as you say you've been using MFP for a year). And I don't really see dramatic differences between the last week and late March. There's still a ton of sugar, carbs and processed food, although you do sometimes do better on protein.

You asked for suggestions. We offered some. Whether you choose to use them is completely up to you. But I will not be offering any more suggestions.

wow. first off, i always like MFP and that people talk and help eachother out, and i didnt give you an attitude or say you were wrong. u mentioned pancakes- i said i ate them a day ago for the 1st time in months, you also have to be rude and suggest i'm lying when i said ive been on this site for more then a year yet you didnt see a diary for 2 weeks or so..thats because i tried th eeating more cals for a while, and not worrying about this site to see if it helped, i watched what i ate and ate more and that didnt help either..and whatever my reason was for being gone for a few weeks doesnt mean you have to suggest im a liar (interesting as you say you've been using MFP for a year).you also dont have to say something like " But I will not be offering any more suggestions"
    just because i answered you back like i did to everyone else in this post..because its a conversation. someone suggests something, and if i have done it then i say thanks but i tried that. doesnt mean im being rude or ungrateful,i use this site for talking, info, friends and support an di dont need to have someone be rude or start drama, its stupid. so thanks for the advice that i eat **** food, and apparently havent noticed and havent been making an effort to change things an deat more fresh stuff. its not like u know any of my personal problems and why i cant eat all fresh fruit an dveggies and home cooked meals every single day without thinking about time or MONEY.

Oh my.

What you did was to assume that I had only looked at 2 days of your diary. That was an inaccurate perception on your part, so I told you I had looked at many days of your diary and made suggestions based upon what I saw. You asked for suggestions and so I took a fair amount of time and looked at your diary and then made suggestions.

Then you cherry-picked one thing that I happened to mention as a processed food and denied that it was part of your regular eating plan while pretty much denying that any of my other advice was possibly useful--you say you've incorporated all of it while your diary says something else entirely. I fully accept that pancake mix is a rare treat in your eating plan. However, your eating plan diary still consists of a majority of processed foods, high sodium, high sugars, haphazard logging and insufficient water. ( I mentioned the pancake mix because many people think that 'food prepared at home' is automatically not 'processed food', and it can lead them to frustrating results in their weight-loss journey.)

I never suggested, implied, or stated that you 'were lying', 'were a liar', etc. Try looking at this from the shoes of the people you asked for help: you said you have been using MFP for a year and are not seeing the results you anticipated. So we looked at your diary and curiously found it blank or incomplete on many days. To us, 'using MFP' would mean that you are tracking calories and nutrients. So yes, it is interesting that you weren't. Interesting is a neutral word--it says it's curious without offering a judgment. You chose to intepret that as a condemnation of your general character, and I do not understand why you did.

What I see over and over again in this thread is that you are not open to advice at this point. You ask for advice, yet you defend yourself against having to actually consider any that has been offered, instead preferring to take the advice that you requested as personal affronts to your character. That's OK--we all spend a lot of time figuring out what we are and aren't willing to do to reach our goals and many of us change our views over time. It's a process for all of us. We learn a great deal about ourselves along the way. I'm learning that my fuse is a little shorter than I thought it was, which leads me to....

I FULLY cop to your accurate assessment that I did NOT need to say that I wouldn't be offering any more suggestions. That was a bit much on my part, and I thought so myself a few seconds after hitting the "submit' button. I had edited my response to remove that sentence while you were composing yours. I'm sorry that you saw it, as I meant to remove it so you wouldn't and would not be hurt. I shouldn't have written that and I'm am sorry you saw it. I was over the line there and I knew it, but unfortunately realized it too late to keep from hurting your feelings unneccessarily. Totally my bad there.
  • skypie23
    skypie23 Posts: 38
    Options
    I don't really agree with everyone else but I'm no expert. I know everyone will disagree but I think you should stick at no more than 1200 cals. I think the exercise estimates on here are a tad generous, I've used pedometers in the past, and cal trackers on exercise bikes, did tonnes more work and was told I was burning far fewer calories. Your averaging 1400 cals on the days you'v e logged (and there are huge gaps, if I don't log I eat crap, I need to log to keep on track, you may be different) Also different people hae different metabolisms. If what mfp says you should eat isn't working, I think you should try lowering the amount rather than eating more as others hae said. Try 1100 for a week and see what happens.
  • skypie23
    skypie23 Posts: 38
    Options
    just looked at your pictures, you look pretty hot tbf. You don't look like you need to lose any more weight.
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I don't really agree with everyone else but I'm no expert. I know everyone will disagree but I think you should stick at no more than 1200 cals. I think the exercise estimates on here are a tad generous, I've used pedometers in the past, and cal trackers on exercise bikes, did tonnes more work and was told I was burning far fewer calories. Your averaging 1400 cals on the days you'v e logged (and there are huge gaps, if I don't log I eat crap, I need to log to keep on track, you may be different) Also different people hae different metabolisms. If what mfp says you should eat isn't working, I think you should try lowering the amount rather than eating more as others hae said. Try 1100 for a week and see what happens.

No more then 1200? It should be no less then 1200. Your body NEEDS to function plain and simple.

ETA: You say you are no expert which neither am I but the experts agree 1200 is a bare minimum also factor in that in that 1200 calories MFP already has created a deficit so if you are adding exercise you are just not giving your body enough to function on.
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Just from a quick peek into your diary, my first suggestion would be to start being really consistent with your logging... then you'll be able to detect patterns across time, which will be helpful.

Right away, it seems like you're eating very few calories. I'd suggest getting up to at least 1200 net every day for 2 weeks, drinking a TON of water, lowering your sodium, and seeing if that helps at all.

Good luck.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Hmm...I bet you are super annoyed that everyone keeps saying you're not eating enough. I can't stand it when people say that, lol, because you're probably like me, where you eat a pretty healthy diet and eat whenever you're hungry but you never stuff yourself. Anyways, I googled this and maybe you've already found it, but sounds like a good article.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/5-surprising-reasons-you-are-gaining-weight

The birth-control pill has made lots of my friends gain weight. I use natural family planning (NFP) as taught by the Couple to Couple League http://ccli.org/ for spacing my babies. They teach the sypmto-thermal method and if you and your hubby do it, it's 99.9% effective and the best thing about it, it's completely natural. No annoying pills that mess up your hormones. Anyways, maybe you don't even take the pill which would be great, but I'm just throwing this out there for other readers, because I'm always surprised to hear that women have no idea about NFP, when it's pretty easy to use (and I hate science) and body-friendly.

Great comment!! And so true! I was on BC and it did make me gain weight! I have been using NFP for about a decade and have never looked back!! It's been WONDERFUL!! Thanks for bringing this up because it's one of those variables that women dont even consider re weight loss. I think that the pharmaceutical companies that push this junk dont want women to know this either!!