What do YOU do when you have no appetite?!

Options
It is SOOO hot here in the mornings. I have to go out mon-fri to take my daughter to school. When I get back, like today, I don't want to eat. I know I have to so my metabolism will not slow but its hard. I also take diabetic medicine. I am about to force a piece of toast and some t-bacon. With the combination of the humidity, medicine and being busy so early in the morning there is no desire left sometimes. Does anyone else have this problem sometimes? What do you do?

Replies

• Natalie0506
    Natalie0506 Posts: 163
    Options
    I would get up a little earlier in the morning and eat before you leave. In all reality, you should be eating within 30 minutes of waking up. You may also want to eat some cold cereal with milk instead of eating warm food. That's probably not helping either!
  • Kathy11174
    Options
    In the mornings when its really hot try making a smoothie. Use skim milk, nonfat yogurt, protein powder and some frozen fruit. It is delicious and refreshing and will add to your calorie intake.
  • chantihayes
    Options
    I live in Central Florida, so I feel ya on the uncomfortable mornings! I usually dont eat until I get to work, about 2 hours after I wake up in the morning.. and I look forward to eat because I always have fresh sliced fruit (today is blackberries, orange, and strawberries) and yogurt (strawberry today). Its healthy and light, and the fruit juices make it refreshing :)
  • bgeer34
    bgeer34 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have never been a breakfast person. So I do just force myself to eat anyway. Since I rarely want to eat breakfast, I don't really care what I have so I vary what I have everyday to make my nutrition and calories come out right based on whatever we are having for lunch and dinner.

I do try to eat within 40 min of getting up but once in a while I am forcing down a bagel while I am driving to work because I just have to talk myself into it. Once it becomes a habit it's much easier to keep doing it .... so hang in there.
  • Genie30
    Genie30 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I'd make a smoothie (blend a banana, milk or low fat yougurt, ice, any fresh fruit you want to put in it and if you have some, a scoop of whey powder). I find a drink easier to stomach when it's too hot to eat.

EDIT- HA! I see Kathy11174 beat me to it! Great minds think alike huh? :-D
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    Handful of nuts is a good dose of protein (and calories) not alot of 'eating' involved...

Smoothie (I don't drink them but I hear they can subsitute for a meal (and be cooling))

Pure Protein bars

Apple slices dipped in melted peanut butter

Good Luck...
  • SwissMaedel
    Options
    Breakfast!! My favorite food - and not the American-junk-types of breakfast, but my Swiss amazing yummy kind.

So growing up in Switzerland this is what we often had for breakfast and I make it all the time now for breakfast for my kids and also for dinner on really hot summer days. It's really refreshing.
    It's called "Birchermuesli", Americans call it "Muesli".

I never measure ingredients...this is going to be like a cereal/yogurt mush type food, so make it to the consistency that you like. Mine is the consistency of pudding.

Take raw, rolled oats. You can use the quick kind or the traditional kind. I like traditional.
    Put oats in a big bowl, (start with 1 cup or so)
    add yogurt (make it healthy, use non-fat, plain)
    add grated apple (commonly known as applesauce, in Switzerland we grate the apple so you also get some of the skin for fiber, but applesauce works well if you're in a rush, which I always am with 3 kids =)

Fun part:
    add your fav ingredients (these are just ideas, I just add what I have on hand):

-berries (we buy frozen, then thaw)
    -non-salty nuts, almond slivers, walnuts, whatever - they're so good for you
    -raisins
    -flax seed (ground or whole - for fiber - watch out though, some people are allergic to it)
    -sliced banana
    -any fresh fruit - peaches, grapes
    -fancy granola to make it super yum & fibery
    then add your secret ingredients:
    -LEMON JUICE (I use at least 1/2 lemon.it's soooo goood)
    -little bit of honey

Mix it all up. If it's too thick, add a bit of milk.

You can make this one day, then store it in the fridge and in the morning, add a bit more milk or water to make it not so thick. It's good for a few days in the fridge, but ours never lasts that long.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    No appetite is a great time to drink your calories. A smoothie or protein shake or a protein smoothie can work well.