what have you substituted?

Options
If you're an emotional eater, what have you substituted for food, when you're having a rough one?

Replies

• Coco_Belle
    Options
    Great question! I've still to find out as haven't ever managed to do it!
    I know you are meant to go for treats like bubble baths, doing your nails etc. So I would love some tried and tested methods.

Good luck with it!
  • DaniiDean
    DaniiDean Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I watch lots of films and write in my diary :)
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Working out, doing laundry, cleaning like a mad woman? LOL Just moving to keep myself busy.

Another thing that helps is looking up the calorie count for that food you want and see how it would play out in your day= burger = lots of fat= not something I want to deal with!
  • emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    fat free coolwhip with a sugar free hotchocolate mixed in. its creamy, chocolatey... not the most healthy thing to eat.. but most definitely fewer calories than the chocolate mouse i really want..
  • amyelizabethrn75
    Options
    Not substitution- just avoidance! I either go to the basement or go to my room.... any place away from the kitchen. I get involved in something else (TV, a good book, a phone conversation).... and I cross my fingers that the need for eating will pass..... or I grab a Skinny Cow ice cream bar!:smile::smile:
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Get out of the house and go for a walk. While you are walking take some time to analyze whatever emotion you are feeling that is causing you to want to eat. Why are you feeling that way? What about the emotion makes you want to eat? I find that attacking the emotion often helps. Then think about how hard you have worked to lose weight and ask yourself if you really want to ruin that over something as transitory as the way you are feeling right then. Try and change your outlook with positive affirmations (sounds cheesy I know but science and psychology proves it works). Say something along these lines: I am stronger than the food I am craving, I am stronger than the emotion I am feeling. I am stronger than I was before. I am strong because I am changing my life.

I know this may seem like bull, but I am also an emotional eater and this has worked for me many times. Also, even if you don't want to, once you get back to your house. Think about if you are truly hungry. be silent and listen to your body and see if it is telling you you are hungry. If you are; eat a salad or veggies until you are full. Keep healthy snacks in your arsenal and turn to those. If you are really craving junk food after all this make sure you have healthy junk food choices. I like snackwell's brownie bites, animal crackers and you can always make some fat free deserts.

Here is my blog about dealing with emotional eating. I hope it helps you.

http://phatgirlsguidetoquitting.blogspot.com/2011/04/eat-to-live.html

Good luck to you on your journey. Don't give in and always get back up!