Losing weight too quickly?

Options
Hi folks,

I started my weightloss journey at the beginning of February this year. I started off weighing 308 lbs. Thanks to MFP along with some good, supportive friends. I've been able to shed 28 lbs so far, bringing me to weigh 280.

But I'm a little concerned maybe I'm going too fast here. over the past 2 weeks I've averaged a 5lb/week loss when I only planned to lose 1-2 lbs a week. I try to make sure I eat at least 1500 net cals/day to try and avoid starvation mode but I'm rarely able to eat all of my target calories that MFP prescribes.

I try to exercise 3 times a week for 30 minutes but truth be told I haven't ventured much into strength training yet (just push-ups & sit-ups), so I'm afraid I may be losing lean mass rather than fat.

Any comments or suggestions?

Replies

• michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Hi folks,

I started my weightloss journey at the beginning of February this year. I started off weighing 308 lbs. Thanks to MFP along with some good, supportive friends. I've been able to shed 28 lbs so far, bringing me to weigh 280.

But I'm a little concerned maybe I'm going too fast here. over the past 2 weeks I've averaged a 5lb/week loss when I only planned to lose 1-2 lbs a week. I try to make sure I eat at least 1500 net cals/day to try and avoid starvation mode but I'm rarely able to eat all of my target calories that MFP prescribes.

I try to exercise 3 times a week for 30 minutes but truth be told I haven't ventured much into strength training yet (just push-ups & sit-ups), so I'm afraid I may be losing lean mass rather than fat.

Any comments or suggestions?

I would think you're ok!! 1500 net calories a day is perfect! Please wait for other's opinions though! I'm no expert.
  • crystal10584
    Options
    the bigger you are, the faster you lose.... don't stress out over it right now. You're feeding yourself more than the minimum so you're not starving yourself.... which is great.

Once you get down into the lower numbers, it'll slow down.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    the bigger you are, the faster you lose.... don't stress out over it right now. You're feeding yourself more than the minimum so you're not starving yourself.... which is great.

Once you get down into the lower numbers, it'll slow down.

Absolutely! It would be worrisome if you were dropping 5 pounds/week and you only had 20 pounds to lose to begin with. The heavier you are and the more you have to lose, the faster it comes off in the beginning. Enjoy the fast losses while it lasts, lol.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about losing muscle, you're probably just losing fat. If you want you can try and incorporate some toning work outs because if you gain muscle you will burn fat faster and burn more fat overall. I think you are losing weight fast because you have more to lose. Once you get at lower weights you'll wish you saw those 5lbs weight losses a week at the scale