lost on where to start - strength training

Options
Hiya,

I was wondering if someone could help me a little, I've never done weight lifting before, and don't really like those weight lifting dvds(BORING!!!) plus I'm from the UK so god knows if we can even get all the ones everyone is raving on about on here.

I just want a simple all body routine, I have dumbells at home but not much else. I want to incorporate strength training into two sessions a week, as I already do zumba 3 times a week, and a hike/mtv dance exercise dvd over the weekend.

I'm trying to tone up, and lose weight(if its even possible)

Anyone got any ideas/routines for beginners??

XXX

Replies

• Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    bump
  • soriondee5
    soriondee5 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey!

Do you plan on doing your strength training at the gym or only at home? I haven't used any dvds, but when I was learning about strength training I found this book invaluable:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Body-Sculpting-Bible-Women/dp/1578262399/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1302529396&sr=8-4

It's a great resource and offers training routines in the back of the book that slowly ease you into the weight lifting world, from a complete beginner's program up to a hardcore cutting program. You can substitute exercises using the equipment you have available, too.

I base my workouts off of the book's routines and use this site to clarify any confusion over how to properly execute an exercise because it offers videos:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/

I started with nothing but a pair of dumbbells and a medicine ball, but now I'm totally hooked on strength training and I've become a gym rat =P

Hopefully others on here will have some advice to share, and you'll find something that works for you!
  • Raw07
    Raw07 Posts: 206
    Options
    bump
  • Raw07
    Raw07 Posts: 206
    Options
    bump
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Will you be able to go to a gym, or are you looking to do something at home?

When I started strength training, I knew that I wanted to focus on my arms / chest / back / abs. I chose machines that worked those groups.
  • gailosborne
    gailosborne Posts: 435
    Options
    There is a great read - 'The New Rules of Lifting for Women which is excellent, it has programmes for you to follow, photos of the moves and full explanations - it will take you through ten weeks, I got it off Amazon. Its writtenby very reputable people!

You could also check out youtube and do a search on 'arm workouts' for example and look at what the trainers on there suggest - I've searched specific moves to look at the correct posture etc but it will give you an idea of the things you can do!

Lots of people swear by 'Body Rock TV' but I have not tried it, all I will say is my mfp friends who do it look amazing!

Good Luck
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    On a whim I bought the Look Better Naked book from Women's Health and the workouts in there are actually very good. They mix things up and they're not the boring "stand here and do 100 bicep curls". They work your body in a short period of time. If you go on their website I think you can get a copy of one of the workouts to give you an idea of what it is.
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    gailosborne, I had to chuckle when I read the posts again that two Gail's commented in a row. It's not a common name for people our age and you actually spell it the same way I do :)
  • tinareet
    tinareet Posts: 126
    Options
    I was looking to do it at home, as i cant really afford to go to the gym unfortuantely.
    Xx
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    There is a great read - 'The New Rules of Lifting for Women which is excellent, it has programmes for you to follow, photos of the moves and full explanations - it will take you through ten weeks, I got it off Amazon. Its writtenby very reputable people!

You could also check out youtube and do a search on 'arm workouts' for example and look at what the trainers on there suggest - I've searched specific moves to look at the correct posture etc but it will give you an idea of the things you can do!

Lots of people swear by 'Body Rock TV' but I have not tried it, all I will say is my mfp friends who do it look amazing!

Good Luck

i have heard so many good reviews about 'the new rules of lifting for women'!! i want that book!
  • DaniiDean
    DaniiDean Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    My dad used to do body building so has all of the weights at home.
    He says you should wait till you have lost all of your weight first otherwise you will be turning the fat into muscle and you want to lose it :)

I was doing strength training but he told me not to because of the reason above :)