How fast a swim is vigorous

Options
Please can someone help me, I have tried to research but not got anywhere must be looking in the wrong place...
I weigh 156.8 lb and am 5 ft 5 , I have just swam 1250 metres in 45 mins without stopping, does this class as moderate / light effort or vigorous effort . I don't feel I could actually swim any faster and yes I do feel like I have been exercise , yet I don't feel I'm as fast as those swimmers that compete.
Thanks for your time
Sonia :heart:

Replies

• crystal10584
    Options
    moderate/light is a relaxing pace. enough to barely elevate your heart rate. if you were panting when you got finished and you elevated your heart rate like you would on a quick sprint... i'd say that's vigorous.
  • karizmah78
    Options
    I agree with Crystal! It is all about how it makes your body feel!
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    on this noter (and sorry to butt in on your question) Does this mean summertime lake swims,would count under the light/moderate? I think I would only log half the time I actually spent in the water since half of it is just treading water.
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    on this noter (and sorry to butt in on your question) Does this mean summertime lake swims,would count under the light/moderate? I think I would only log half the time I actually spent in the water since half of it is just treading water.
    I'd log it all. Treading water is definitely exercise. The SEALs do it for hours for strength & endurance.
  • iowagirl09
    Options
    To fully answer this question it depends on what stroke you were doing (freestyle is much faster than breaststroke) and are you usually a swimmer or was this the first time in the pool swimming laps for you? I wouldn't judge it too much based on time, until you've been swimming for a while, and you can start comparing your times and see how they change. For now I would say look at your body and see how the pace is affecting your heart rate.

As a comparison for you I usually swim a 1500 in ~30 minutes, breaststroke, however I am a swimmer. Haven't swam competitively in years, but for me the pool feels like home.

I know this really didn't answer your question but I hope it helps.
  • fumblerdog
    Options
    I think you need to either use a HRM (not sure what kinds of waterproof versions there are) or just judge by how you feel. In a race, I swim 1600 meters or so in about 31-32 minutes (freestyle), but that also depends on resistence (are you swimming with/against any current, for example) and other factors.

I will say, though, if you are interested in improving your swimming, you need to incorporate upper body strength training. So little of swimming is about kicking, as I learned the hard way! :-)
  • soniajc
    soniajc Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys
    I'm doing front crawl, only been going swimming for about 4 weeks , once or twice a week if possible. I haven't been swimming before that in over 20 years. I Have improved first week I was doing 1000 metres in 40 mins.
    I think it might be best to log it as light / moderate to be on the safe side.
    I will try and see if I can improve on my times .
    :love: