MFP for a week!

corinarg
corinarg Posts: 43 Member
edited September 26 in Introduce Yourself
Hello to all in MFP land! I have read some of your blogs and your stories have been inspirational and eye-opening. Thank you for sharing.
This is my first complete week on MFP and so far, so good! I lost 4 pounds - without exercising! (Granted, I have a ways to go, but anything in the negative direction is in the right direction towards my goal.)
I am seeing a nutritionist and we have set my calorie goals for now, but can anyone give me their opinion on weight loss goals/timeline for someone like me who wants to lose 100 pounds? I want to be healthy and realistic.
Thanks!

Replies

• MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Hello to all in MFP land! I have read some of your blogs and your stories have been inspirational and eye-opening. Thank you for sharing.
    This is my first complete week on MFP and so far, so good! I lost 4 pounds - without exercising! (Granted, I have a ways to go, but anything in the negative direction is in the right direction towards my goal.)
    I am seeing a nutritionist and we have set my calorie goals for now, but can anyone give me their opinion on weight loss goals/timeline for someone like me who wants to lose 100 pounds? I want to be healthy and realistic.
    Thanks!

A realistic goal for 100 lbs is a year to 18 months. You may see progress faster, but that should be the goal. I started with a 130 lbs to lose. I have 86 left to go now, I dropped 44 lbs in about 10 weeks. That is a crazy pace if you ask me, but those of us with more to lose can have a higher safe weekly drop rate. I expect as I get closer to my goal weight that I will need to modify down to a 1 lb a week loss schedule. Good luck, counting calories and evaluating the quality of those calories has really been an eye opener for me.
  • TennisLoveGirl
    TennisLoveGirl Posts: 30 Member
    I don't have advice at the moment but just wanted to say welcome and congrats on an amazing first week on MFP! Keep it up!
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Hi,
    I'm not an expert.....and you have consulted a nutritionist, so that is good. Just going to give you my 2 cents worth. I don't think it matters how much weight you have to lose, if you do it slowly and steadily, you will be much more likely to keep the weight off in the future. It is hard not to get discouraged if you lose slowly (or even don't see a loss from time to time). You are watching what you eat (so you can eat healthily, not DIEt), and this is a change in your LIFEstyle if you want it to be permanent. It took me 15 months to lose the weight I lost (72 pounds). I gained back 22, have lost 10 of that, and would like to range between 130-135.....but truth be told, I am happy any time the scale reads under 140 (and this is a new development). At 125, my lowest weight, I was probably too thin, so I am in a good place. :happy:
    Good luck!
    Kaye
  • corinarg
    corinarg Posts: 43 Member
    Thanks for your input. I agree that calorie counting has been an eye opener. Congratulations on your success to date and best of luck to you!
  • FJcntdwn2sknyluv
    FJcntdwn2sknyluv Posts: 651 Member
    It's taken me 4 years to lose 77lbs (net) I hit my 100 lbs mark then meet the man of my dreams and well 'fat and happy' is so NOT funny.. gained 30 back *sigh* ...
    So I've re-started and am trying to get back on track.. This damn losing weight thing isn't going to happen overnight as it didn't come on overnight.. I would say at least 2 years... Don't get your hopes up it's going to take time, energy and dedication, motivation. But it WILL happen just stick with it.
This discussion has been closed.