p90x?????

Options
hay all im looking to loose max weight and inches in min time frame (10 weeks)
and ive been told p90x is good but looking at the dvds im a bit :huh: confused.
what im basicly wanting to know is how it works? what work outs you do on what days?
are there instructions in the box?
what equipment is NECESSARY for this work out for example i can not put up the pull up bar in my house anywhere!!! like the house is just been decorated and theres no way my dad will entertain the idea of anything like that.
and any hints and tips on it
oh and im asthmatic so i dont know how these workouts work but if its high impact i might suffer :(

any advice will be welcome and thanx in advance :D

Rachael :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    hay all im looking to loose max weight and inches in min time frame (10 weeks)
    and ive been told p90x is good but looking at the dvds im a bit :huh: confused.
    what im basicly wanting to know is how it works? what work outs you do on what days?
    are there instructions in the box?
    what equipment is NECESSARY for this work out for example i can not put up the pull up bar in my house anywhere!!! like the house is just been decorated and theres no way my dad will entertain the idea of anything like that.
    oh and im asthmatic so i dont know how these workouts work but if its high impact i might suffer :(

any advice will be welcome and thanx in advance :D

Hey Rachel,

Did you already purchase P90X? If so, it is suppose to come with a nutritional guide as well as a work out guide. These guides will explain everything. If it did not come with that, then I am sorry, but you have been dupped.

With that said, pull-ups are a pretty big part of P90X, but there are work arounds. You can attach resistance bands to a door and simulate pull-ups. You will also need weights.

Unfortunately I am leaning towards this program not being for you. You may be better off starting with and easier program.

Hope this helps,
    Stu
  • kimj5
    kimj5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    P90x is a good weigh to tone muscle. I incorporate it with my Turbofire cardio workout. I never use the pullup bar, instead I use the bands that come with it and hang them from a door. I havent lost a lot of weight doing P90x, but I do think it is a great way to tone and lean your muscles. Cardio is easy on it.
  • wsheaf82
    wsheaf82 Posts: 248 Member
    Options

Edit: Everyone pretty much beat me to it. Resistance bands are the answer to not being able to use a pull up bar.
  • Eboncat
    Eboncat Posts: 3
    Options
    You can get the workout sheets and programs (what to do on which day) at Beachbody.com. If you can't put in a pull-up bar, they show you how to use bands to get the resistance. You will need some kind of yoga mat and weights also. I did the Lean program last fall. It is awesome. Stick with it and you'll get great results.
  • Frylok81
    Frylok81 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    As far as equipment goes...you need either free weights OR resistance bands. A door pull up bar would be needed too and it shouldn't mess with any decorations in the house unless every doorway has some sort of wall attachment or shelf on it.. all in all you need about $40 of equipment if you go to your local sporting goods store or wal-mart....the P90X dvds themselves come with a workout schedule depending on what program you do. (most do either the classic or lean) so it will tell you exactly what days to do which DVD. It also comes with a nutrition plan that is a good starting point help people diet with the program.

A heart rate monitor would be good to get too for the cardio style workouts but not a MUST. Sweat is usually a good indicator you are working hard. Any health issues you have certainly take that into consideration and go at your own pace. Push yourself but not to the point where you feel you need to keep up with Tony and the gang. As long as you are pushing yourself to your limit you will see really good progress. Hope that helps.
  • FitPhysique
    FitPhysique Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Well if you are just starting out. I would recommend you get another beachbody program instead of P90X. I'd say to get Chalean Extreme or Slim in 6. With Chalean extreme is very similar to P90x with no pull ups so you don't need the pull up bar. Then you can move up to P90X. Regardless of what program you choose, your nutrition will determine your success. Weight Loss is 80% nutrition and 20% exercise. Good Luck.
  • LeAnn_Mae
    LeAnn_Mae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I currently weigh 201 pounds and found that p90 wasn't challenging me enough so I bought p90X (so don't let anyone tell you you can't do it). Did day 1 today and it was TOUGH and I couldn't do all of the moves and definitely not the pull-ups (used bands) but I know that over time I will build muscle, lose weight and it will get easier. Just do what you can and don't give up!
  • JustMichelleB
    Options
    We have a pullup bar that does not "install", b ut hangs on top of door frame. It's called the Iron Gym. That b eing said, I still use resistance bands, although hoping to move onto a couple actual pullups at some point.
  • guidnca
    guidnca Posts: 64
    Options
    I have p90x. The program does not work for me, because I want to train for marathons. I could not do both.
    The nutrition guide is just as important if not more than the workouts.
    Tony is a great motivator, but he is a vegeterian and working towards Veganism, so it is part of the nutrition guide.
    Cutting carbs, eating leaner food, etc. is the way the program works. It shreds the fat and the workouts firm up the muscle.
  • MsP90X
    MsP90X Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I started round two this morning!! I love P90x and after the first round I lost 24 pounds and felt like there was no mountain that I couldn't climb!! I fell off the fitness wagon after that but I am back on... started this morning and loving it.

good luck
  • betterthanmama
    betterthanmama Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If you are doing p90x to lose weight, its going to be a hard ride... I am on week 2 with calorie cutting, but I have been in shape most of my life and used to training (NCAA volleyball will do that for you) It's pretty hard, I wouldn't recommend it if you are a beginner to working out. I have 2 friends doing it and one has gained 8lbs in 2 weeks (she doesn't calorie count, and also stopped running because it was too much) The other is doing it with running, and she has missed days because it's too hard to do both.

Also regarding the iron gym, my house had only 1 door frame that can hold it. All the other doors are next to a wall and one almost ripped off the frame when we put weight on it. You also will need weights or fitness bands.