relax, people...!

Options
i've seen a *ton* of posts up today about not losing weight for a week or two. i've also seen a bunch regarding losing a set amount of weight in a set amount of time. while it's wonderful that so many people are so concerned for the welfare of their bodies, i really think a lot of you should relax!

there are many people that can say, "i'm going to lose 1.5 pounds every week for 20 weeks, thus, i will weigh 30 pounds less by such and such date." sure. some people can do that, and that's great. but for everyone person that can do that, there are probably 4 or 5 whose bodies just don't operate that way. and just because you don't operate that way doesn't mean you're a failure in any sense of the word!

i really hope that people will start to focus more on the health benefits they are reaping rather than the number on their scale. the scale is a fickle friend - it is a mechanical tool. it does not factor strength, endurance, stamina, size, or self-confidence. and bodies are not mechanical! don't expect to plug in some numbers and have your body spit out the expected data like a computer! it might happen, but it might not, and that shouldn't make or break your commitment to your own well-being.

so everyone, take a deep breath.

go ahead.

aaaaaah. lovely. doesn't that feel better?

you are doing the right thing for your health, your confidence, your mentality and your overall well-being - this should be a celebration, not a stress-pot! now, relax, and keep on rockin' it!

Replies

• forkeeps
    forkeeps Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Love it!! Now off to live it!
  • mlh612
    mlh612 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Agree, if I stress out about losing weight too much - I end up overeating and binging.. So I let it go and see what happens! :flowerforyou:
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Great post!

Those of us who have been around a while know there are weeks you gain and weeks you lose. Its totally normal. You have to look at the bigger picture.
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    Good post! I think people are a bit unrealistic and it's sets them up to fail. Sometimes I find myself getting tripped up by the numbers, but this isn't a sprint to the finish. We need to just focus on the present because it's all we can control. Do, right now, the things that are good for you and your body will get where you want it to be eventually.
  • bethany41h
    bethany41h Posts: 218
    Options
    Well said! :) It's hard to maintain that mentality sometimes, that is for sure.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Great post!! This is a human experience, after all....
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    *like*
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I totally agree.

Unreasonable expectations only bring about disappoinment. Disappointment makes a person's commitment falter. Lack of commitment is a big reason for failure of many weight loss programs.

Pick a reasonable level of weight loss and it is much easier to stick with.. There are many examples of success here at MFP. Figure out a realistic goal before anything else.

It will work.
  • butterfly_lvr
    Options
    I totally agree; I do my weight and measurements once a week and while this past week I only lost 0.2 pounds - I did lose an inch off my waist and another 1/2 inch off my hips so I am happy with that. This weight certainly did not appear overnight and it will take much longer to take it off but at least I know I am doing it as healthy and safely as I can and in the end- the weight will stay off :-)
  • scmcgee
    scmcgee Posts: 165
    Options
    Good Post! Thank you for reiminding us it is not all about the scales. We have to not let the scales control our overall health goalss.
  • Myslissa
    Myslissa Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • calmmomw3minimeez
    calmmomw3minimeez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I soooo agree with this! Absolutely nothing wrong with taking it one day at a time, relaxing and resting when you need to, and not having fits when things are not PERFECT...that's life, live it to the fullest, and enjoy the ride!:smokin:
  • maygans
    maygans Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I read something on here awhile ago that I really liked and helps keep things in perspective for me. Say you "only" lose 1lb a month. That's 12 lbs a year! That's still 12 lbs that are gone from your life never to return (hopefully)! 12lbs is progress, no matter any way you look at it! People on here seem to be losing much quicker than that, 1-20 lbs a month depending on the person! I almost got bogged down with the scale when I started, but thankfully I figured out that I'm exercising more now than I ever have, I'm making very good food choices and I'm NOT letting the number on the scale get to me. I feel great and empowered!

Always best to look at the big picture!
  • myvenus
    myvenus Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Great post!! We need to keep reminding ourselves we are doing a great thing for our body for the rest of our lives, that is what is important!!
  • AFitasticYou
    Options
    Some people need the encouragement. If it makes them feel better to post that they didn't loose weight this week & have people respond saying that it's ok, giving advice or motivation then that's fine, that is what the site is for.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    Absolutely nothing wrong with taking it one day at a time, relaxing and resting when you need to, and not having fits when things are not PERFECT...that's life, live it to the fullest, and enjoy the ride!:smokin:

well said! here's to living it! :drinker:
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    the scale is a fickle friend - it is a mechanical tool. it does not factor strength, endurance, stamina, size, or self-confidence. and bodies are not mechanical! don't expect to plug in some numbers and have your body spit out the expected data like a computer! it might happen, but it might not, and that shouldn't make or break your commitment to your own well-being.

Yes. Yes. Aaaaaannndddd YES!

It makes me infinitely sad to see people who have transformed their bodies, who are moving for perhaps the first time ever, and who are feeding their bodies healthy foods—people who have had changed their lives—get sad about not receiving the encouragement they want from the scale. The scale honestly and truly blinds you to the rest of your accomplishments. It takes up all the air in the room, and for many people, takes over this entire process.

I want to be physically strong. I want to have a heart that can keep up when I want to run and sprint. I want to have muscles that I can feel under my skin. Seeing them is nice, but not required. I want to hold backbends and hand stands and to teach my daughter to cartwheel. This is what I want at the end of this process. If I can do that, it is a success—regardless of what size I wear or what the scale says.
  • ccaym
    ccaym Posts: 86
    Options
    Thank you all. I needed to read this.
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Exactly. I know what my goal date is at 1.5# per week, but I also know that I tend to lose 5-6 pounds, hold steady for a few weeks, then lose another 5-6 really fast. So it might even out that way, it might not, but as long as you're TRENDING down, you're fine.