Is it fair to count the calories I burn at work?

Options
I work in food service as a cashier. I do standing non-stop for hours: walking around making drinks, grabbing food for people, lifting and stocking, lots of talking. I do it for 5 to 8 hours with maybe one 20 minute break on there somewhere.

So is it okay to count the calories I burned from standing at work?

Replies

• kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I hope the answer is yes!!! :)
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    if you have your activity level set to sedentary, absolutely count those calories. if you are working at a higher level than what you have set as your default, you won't get enough calories.

For example, I am a stay at home mom. I have my activity set as sedentary, but I am on my feet for most of the day and cooking, cleaning, chasing children. I tend to mark down the activity rather than up my activity incase I have a day where I sit on my butt al day! lol
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You are better off changing your activity level to reflect this. It automatically adds the calories from standing all day, etc. into your daily count.

I personally only count as exercise as things that I do above and beyond my daily activities.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    You are better off changing your activity level to reflect this. It automatically adds the calories from standing all day, etc. into your daily count.

I personally only count as exercise as things that I do above and beyond my daily activities.

same here.
  • AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    I'm a bartender/waitress when not in classes. I wore a pedometer to work for a month and averaged 4 miles a day. You bet I log it!
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    no no no no unless your stationary like me than it all counts
  • amber_hanners
    amber_hanners Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    i put my activity level at sedentary and count pretty much everything if i know im gonna be doin some big housecleaning i will put my hrm on and track that to or grocery shoppin. i dont count everything like 10 mins of dishes or whatever but anything i will be doing for more then 30 mins straight i count
  • Pande
    Pande Posts: 33
    Options
    Im pretty stationary. All I do is lay around all day UNLESS I have work. Though this will change as soon as I begin a workout routine.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Well. I work in retail and am on my feet for 8 hours a day. I wore a pedometer to work and you can bet that I count my calories into my workout. However, I do log them as "walking at a slow pace" vs my regular cardio. I basically track all calories I burn just to see how I'm doing in a day. Perhaps it isn't "fair" to count them, but I definitely do it. :)
  • tinalina81
    Options
    if you have your activity level set to sedentary, absolutely count those calories. if you are working at a higher level than what you have set as your default, you won't get enough calories.

For example, I am a stay at home mom. I have my activity set as sedentary, but I am on my feet for most of the day and cooking, cleaning, chasing children. I tend to mark down the activity rather than up my activity incase I have a day where I sit on my butt al day! lol

I did the same thing. To me it is like better safe than sorry