"I eat what I want"

Options
Why is it, that some people can eat anything they want and consume over 3000 calories on average, and never gain weight? My husband is this way, so is my sister. They eat fast food, ice cream, drink tons of pop, eat candy...etc. They can eat anything and they stay the same weight. Maybe they aren't "healthy" but they sure aren't over weight. I don't get it? Then you have people who have to watch their every meal in order to maintain a certain weight. WHY?

Replies

• cdez80421
    cdez80421 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I don't know but it really makes me mad, I can have one slip up and eat a dam table spoon of peanut butter over the weekend and wake up a pund heavier, makes no freaking sense to me. My daughter (18 years old) can eat nothing but crap and is barely over 100 lbs and a size 1?
  • fluffykitsune
    fluffykitsune Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Faster metabolism. But it'll burn out fast. Then when they do have to start counting calories it will be a very hard change to a healthier lifestyle.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    It's all about your metabolism. The "good" thing (in an evil sort of way) is that it will eventually catch up with them, if they aren't careful.

My husband was like that when we were younger (we've been married for almost 23 years). He is 6' 3" and weighed about 150-160 pounds. He drank Coke all day long, ate junk and had to run around in the shower to get wet. I know at one point when he got sick, I weighed a few more pounds than he did and I'm a foot shorter!

Fast forward to the present day and he's fighting to lose weight along with the rest of us. Metabolisms slow as we age and they are usually the ones most surprised when they hit 40 and realize they are 50 pounds overweight because they used to be able to eat anything they wanted.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    My husband used to be like that. Then he started a job where he sits most of the day (driving) and his weight is slowly creeping up and he's starting to realize that he may need to start paying attention to what he eats. Problem is, his idea of dieting is starving himself and then eating one huge meal for dinner... Not healthy!! I'm trying to teach him though.

(edited - starving, not starting)
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    If you learn the answer to this I would like to know as well! I have a couple of skinny friends that eat chocolate, drink wine, don't work out and they are just genetically predisposed to be thin! Nothing affects their weight. BUT with that said, I know they also don't think about food as much as I do. Sometimes they "forget" to eat! Now how can that happen!!!!
  • BreakingUpWithObesity2013
    Options
    My sister is like that also. It really ticks me off bc i really have to watch everything I eat. If i go 100 calories over my limit i'll end up gaining weight. My sister gorges on anything she wants and never gains a pound....
  • agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    See, this is why I'm not completely sold on the whole "diet 80%, exercise 20%" maxim. Yes, a large part of it is metabolism, and probably more of it is genetics, but I do know many girls my age or older that work out a lot but eat pretty much whatever they want (NOT cutting out dairy, red meat, all processed foods, etc.), and they are very, very thin. I think the degree to which diet vs. exercise plays into losing weight determines on the individual. You can't apply such a black and white rule to every single person.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    It's all in the way the body breaks down the food. For example some peoples bodies break down carbs alot faster and burns them off. But for someone else who has a harder time with their insulin to break them down it becomes stored as fat. That's why if they are thin know they may have a much higher chance of developing diabeties @ sometime in their life. It'll catch up to them and their health will show it one way or another. I've know alot of skinner eat anything in site ppl who are now tryin to lose weight and having a much harder time at it.
  • FitPhysique
    FitPhysique Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Well I know what you mean. My family members are the same way. I used to be that way but then as you get older it catches up with you. Now my dad in his sixties had to start working out and watching what he eats. Aw, they may be "skinny obese"
  • UpToTheChallenge
    Options
    I am not sure why it happens but I can tell you this...

My boyfriends sister is 20 and is tiny. Probably a size 2. My cousin is 22 and the same size. Both tiny, both eat whatever they want.

They both recently found out that they have high cholesterol!!! 20 and 22 and have high cholesterol. Is that not crazy?! It just goes to show that they may be skinny, but they are NOT healthy.
  • curleesam
    curleesam Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Yes I hate those people but then I remember that I can't see their insides!!!!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I used to be like that too. From my teenage years until my early 20s, I ate and drank whatever junk I wanted and was very skinny (120 pounds and 5'7"). However, I graduated college, started a desk job, got older, and then BAM! Here I am at age 34, starting MFP 30 pounds overweight. I could blame it on my metabolism but it is more likely that I used to move a lot more than I currently do.

My husband is a perfect weight for his height and many people ask him "How do you stay so thin?" He does eat healthy, but large portions. I think they key with him is movement. His job has him moving around all day long, not sitting at a desk like a sloth (like me!).
  • TheReluctantDragon
    Options
    Just think of it like this:

If the apocalypse happens and food is scarce, we people who can survive on fewer calories will LIVE! YIPPEEEE!!! Survival of the fittest: that's US!

Just Kidding. I thought you might need a laugh. =D
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I have 5 older brothers that are all that way! They are all skinny, I am the big one in the family. ALL of them have HBP and cholesterol issues and have been on medication for years. Even at 150 pounds over a healthy weight for me my blood pressure and cholesterol levels are perfect.
  • elg1982
    elg1982 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Weight is just one indicator of overall health. A lot of my thin friends never exercise and I could definitely lift more weight than them, or run for a longer period of time.
  • tmaksparkie
    tmaksparkie Posts: 279
    Options
    I agree that even if you are skinny you may not be healthy, even when I was 262lbs my blood work was great no high blood pressure or high cholesterol or any of that. I just stayed the same weight didn't gain didn't lose. But I am happy with my weight loss, it's all about what makes you happy and yes it is not fair that others can eat what they want my husband is also one of those and cannot for the life of him get over 135lbs but he has a ton of muscle. I used to get so mad at the people who could eat what they wanted but have come to terms that that is just not me and I need to watch what I eat or suffer the weight gain.
  • disneyval
    disneyval Posts: 18
    Options
    I used to be like that - in my 20s and early 30s. It all came to a screeching halt when I hit 40! What happened?! Well, I wasn't out walking with babies/toddlers and I was eating the same way. When you start counting calories, you realize how much you are consuming. (That's what's so great about Fitnesspal - it keeps you from guessing - and cheating!) Maybe people who seem to "eat all they want" really don't? They may eat fast food or ice cream for a meal but don't eat much the rest of the day. I think there is some definite genetic/metabolic stuff going on for some people but for most of us poor slobs, it's calories in/calories out! As one great quote goes, "Eat less, exercise more, and do it forever!":frown:
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I used to have a high metabolism, ate whatever I wanted, and was always very skinny. Eventually, that metabolism WILL slow down a bit, and there will be some weight gain. Relatively speaking, I wasn't as unhealthy as I could have been, but there was still a lot of junk to cut out.