I need help! Don't let me down MFPers.

Here's the issue. I just bought a Polar F6 yesterday and am anxious to use it. The instructions are pretty vague and don't give up much info. I need to know a few things from experienced Polar people.
1. For the first time use, do you wear it a few minutes or for 24 hours?
2. Do you wear the watch only or the chest strap too?
3. If yes on the 24 hours, then do you just push the button to start tracking the calories and whatever the rest of the stuff is that it tracks and just let it run for 24 hours???

This should get me started.

Thank you!!!!

Replies

• PhotographerOfNature
    PhotographerOfNature Posts: 452 Member
    Here's the issue. I just bought a Polar F6 yesterday and am anxious to use it. The instructions are pretty vague and don't give up much info. I need to know a few things from experienced Polar people.
    1. For the first time use, do you wear it a few minutes or for 24 hours?
    2. Do you wear the watch only or the chest strap too?
    3. If yes on the 24 hours, then do you just push the button to start tracking the calories and whatever the rest of the stuff is that it tracks and just let it run for 24 hours???

This should get me started.

Thank you!!!!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    You have to wear the chest strap, otherwise it's just a watch.

Make sure that you set your "settings". . .I'm not sure exactly how to do this on an F6. . .but that's really an important step.

as to the all day or not question, that's your choice. It's handy to wear it on a non-exercise day to get a good indication of what you burn in an average day.

Otherwise, strap it on for your workout, and turn it off afterwards if what you want is calories burned during exercise. :flowerforyou:
  • PhotographerOfNature
    PhotographerOfNature Posts: 452 Member
    So if I want to concentrate on burning fat, I would stay in the 60-70% zone which from what the book says it is "Light" on the OwnZone setting.

Do you use OwnZone or Automatic?
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    I use the "own zone", but I also go by how I'm feeling in a workout. Currently, I'm doing interval training, so in short bursts I'll allow myself to go up to a very high heart rate. I only do this if I don't feel gross during the training session. (for example, out of breath is OK, dizzy and nauseous is not. . .)

I use the HRM as a tool, but don't follow its orders absolutely.

I love mine, though. . .it's made my workouts so much better.:flowerforyou:
  • natalie1
    natalie1 Posts: 180 Member
    Go on Polar website. Click on F6 model- go into help with setting your watch- they will visually take you step by step through all the buttons and functions. You'll be able to choose all the settings that you might want