Confused about Insanity???

Options
Ok, my friend and I have started Insanity. We are now questioning if we should do it now or after a drastic weight loss. A little background about ourselves...we are close to 300lbs (290lbs and 287lbs) in which we have lost a few pounds since the beginning of the year by trying to eat right and going to the gym for cardio and strength training. We decided to start Insanity because a few people on MFP expressed how great it is. This is our second week in and for the most part we are able to keep up with Shaun T, (of course with modifications). The question is, should we conitnue Insanity or wait until some more of the weight comes off? Our primary goal is weight lost (our biggest fear is getting muscle behind fat). Anyone with answers...Please Help. Thanks in advance for any advice that is given.

Replies

• BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    if you are keeping up, stick with it!!! Your body will do whatever you tell it to.

You wont build muscle behind fat. It just doesn't work like that. Your body will "eat" the fat before it bulks up the muscle....women aren't designed to bulk up liek men anyways. No worries!! And congrats I'm on day 2!
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Insanity will help you to shed inches. your results will be great. I am hoping to start in myself. And if you truly want to look fit when you are done your journey, you will need to build some muscle. If you can keep up that is amazing and you definately should keep doing it. Also you can do it again when you are closer to your goal weight!
  • jmmtaylor
    jmmtaylor Posts: 225
    Options
    Don't be afraid of muscle! You will not look like a dude with big bulky muscles. The more muscle you have the more fat you will burn (muscle burns fat). I don't go by the scale much (yes it's great to see the numbers go down) I measure myself every 2 weeks. As long as I'm losing inches I'm happy! That means my fat is disappearing. You can get smaller and not lose weight because your muscle is denser than fat and will take up less space than the fat.

I say keep doing it!! If you can keep up the keep up. By the end you will be able to do less modified versions of the workouts. My DH wants to do Insanity with me when he gets home from deployment. I'm scared because I seen the commercials and think that I will die LOL. Good luck!!
  • road2peachtree
    road2peachtree Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Hey, keep up the great work. I still have to modify things because my belly and thighs end up in a battle for space or because my boobs find a way to hit me in the chin w/all that friggin jumping, but this is my 3rd week and I'm so glad I did not let the number on the scale stop me.

I can do more, longer, and some of the moves I positively had to modify the first week I don't have to any more. I feel stronger and the weight is coming off (6lbs thus far). I realize that I'll have to do this a few times because I'm not as small as the other people in the commercial and here on MFP, but I'm looking forward to it. That just means I can do more.

Stick with it ya'll. It's so worth it and keep modifying what you need to so you can be safe. There's nothing wrong with that :)
  • ryansmom09
    ryansmom09 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments....just wasn't sure if we were doing the right thing. We have a date with Shaun T today @ 4pm. Thanks Ladies!
  • fredaro2002
    fredaro2002 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If you can keep p with him then keep doing it! You will definately see a huge difference in inched dropping, if not the weight!