cardio with leg injury?

Options
Anybody have any tips for getting in the necessary cardio work out with a leg injury?

Background: I broke my leg a year ago in 2 places. Broke my tibia about 5 inches above my ankle, and fibula right under my knee. It's healed now, and I can walk with no problems. But, after being in a cast for 3 months from my mid-thigh to my toes, and then having some other health issues, I have gained about 30 pounds.

I now want to work on losing it. All winter I was scared to walk outside on the ice that caused my accident in the first place. So I was pretty much dormant all winter... but finally convinced my husband to buy me a treadmill last month. And I love it! I am very diligent about stretching before and after.

When I walk only, getting up to 3 miles per hour, I am fine. Last week, I started the C25K Week 1. Each day my leg has been VERY sore. Not where my bones had been broken, but mostly the inside of my ankle and up. The last time I went on the treadmill was Friday, and it's now Monday and still hurts to put any weight on it. I am scared that I am going to damage my leg by continuing, but I don't want to stop exercising either.

Anyone know of any effective low impact exercises or workouts I can do?

tia :flowerforyou:

Replies

• anna_b1
    anna_b1 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    How about "Leslie Sansone's" walking DVDs. You can do them inside and they offer a solid cardio workout. If you live in the States or have access to "Exercise TV", you can even get them On Demand for free.

I recommend her workouts. They're good and they'd likely offer less impact and lead to less soreness than running.
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Water aerobics : ) shop around for an instructor you like though. Early morning classes tend to have an older crowd and therefore a little easier class... my afternoon classes are a younger group and you can kick up the intesity a bit. Even if you don't take a class you can run in the water and do some intervals of harder faster movement.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I spoke to a trainer about C25K as I have advanced ostioarthritis in one knee myself but I absolutely LOVE to run and hike. He suggested a different approach . . . warm up on a treadmill for 5 minutes, progressively getting a bit faster until you are at a very brisk walk . . . then increase the incline all the way and just keep walking at that brisk pace for 20 minutes . . . decrease the incline completely and walk for the last 5 mintues for your cool down . . . total of 30 minutes.
    He said that this is the PERFECT fat burning zone that i should be working in and it does not put as much impact on my knee. it is still a great workout if my sweating is any indication though!
  • Suebepinkydoo
    Suebepinkydoo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    sounds like you need to strengthen the surrounding muscles.... gentle walking should do the trick & gradually build up the pace.

It can take a couple of years for an injury like yours to heal properly. I ruptured my achilles tendon on 2009 & still get grief from the ankle. Am just starting to get back into proper running now & I have over 30lbs to lose that I put on while I was out of action

It could be worth you speaking to a doctor too - it may be that some physio will help.

:)
  • singbelle
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I live in Canada, and as far as I know we don't have an "Exercise TV" station. That would be awesome if we did though! I get so overwhelmed looking at all the workout DVDs because there are just so many of them, but will check that one out.

I have looked into water aerobics, but with my work schedule and kids and their activities, it's hard to make it to a class. I do hope to try this once the new Y in my area opens :)

Thank you for the suggestion lutzsher - I will try that today!

Suebedoo1 - You're probably right about the muscles. I guess I am just getting ahead of myself, wanting to lose it all, right now.
  • Suebepinkydoo
    Suebepinkydoo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    you just need to give it time & be patient! I am just about to start c25k & am wary of doing so as I still get grief with my leg - when i over do it it effect my knees to & its all because I still need to strengthen my calf back up again - my hamstrings really suffered.

I feel where you are coming from - I am there myself!

The weight WILL come off again but you need to look after that leg as you dont want any other injuries because you have rushed.

Sue :)