Just a lil fact about Splenda:

Options

Replies

• helthymom6
    Options
    for those who want to stay away from artificial sweeteners beware. They asre starting to put them in a lot of non diet food. I avoid all artifial sugar as I think it is bad for you as well as the fact that it gives me nasty migraines. Any way things like cereal, popscicles, and you name it have both sugar and sucralose. so read the labels and be careful! I had to find out the hard way. oh Cheap Jello too.
  • elcyclista
    elcyclista Posts: 393
    Options
    Yes, us as humans won't live off of splenda. XD
  • mm3898
    mm3898 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if there are any studies to back this up? If there are then perhaps you should post the links, giving random info that doesn't necessarily have back-up isn't the best idea. Opinions are respected, but if you're claiming this as fact, please let us know how you know this.

Not to be a Negative Nancy, I just think it is important to have facts before people start sending out blanket statements like "splenda is injuring your liver and kidneys."
  • timlover38
    timlover38 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    this was a good thread. Things to note.

1.) Chlorine is different than Chloride. If you are going to repeat something you read, its best to get the compound right

2.) Guess what else has chloride ions in it? Almost every piece of food on the planet. It's called salt.

Sodium Chloride NaCl

They don't say...watch out for all that Chloride in your diet either. It's the sodium that causes the problems.

3.) If you are concerned about the chlorine levels in Splenda

a) Do not , I repeat do NOT, prepare your morning coffee in a swimming pool

b) Under no circumstances are you to subsitute 1 tablespoon of Clorox in lieu of your CoffeeMate

4.) If you injest Splenda while your child gets an immunization shot, your hot tub repairman will develop autism.

Sodium
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I love you songbyrd

AWWWWWWE hehe :smooched:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

1.) Chlorine is different than Chloride. If you are going to repeat something you read, its best to get the compound right

2.) Guess what else has chloride ions in it? Almost every piece of food on the planet. It's called salt.

Sodium Chloride NaCl

They don't say...watch out for all that Chloride in your diet either. It's the sodium that causes the problems.

b) Under no circumstances are you to subsitute 1 tablespoon of Clorox in lieu of your CoffeeMate

4.) If you injest Splenda while your child gets an immunization shot, your hot tub repairman will develop autism.

Sodium

LOLOL :laugh:
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options

Sodium Chloride NaCl

Sodium

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    Do you have *ANY* idea how many people bake with this stuff by the CUPFULS? Baking stuff for their kids nonetheless. So, we're talking small people ingesting the stuff regularly. If kids were dropping like flies I doubt that there's ANY way you'd be able to keep that many parents quiet. And, no, a handful of parents is *not* conclusive (although undoubtedly sad and a horrible thing). Out of the number of people that buy and use the stuff...

Seriously, guys, quit going for shock value and starting conspiracy theories about how everything is poisonous.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i use splenda daily and i'm still alive! 1/2 to one packet gives me all the sweetness i need in tea or coffee.
  • monkeybelle83
    monkeybelle83 Posts: 141 Member
    Options

Sodium Chloride NaCl

Sodium

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

ROFLMAO
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I dont care youll find me dead with a cargo pocket full of splenda!
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I don't use splenda but I've heard of alot of people who do. I prefer to use real cane sugar, but I figure post this so it gets the word out for those who are unaware of the facts behind splenda.

Splenda is a natural sugar because its made from sugar, right? Wrong! Splenda, also known as sucralose is indeed made from sugar. But, the sugar is replaced with chlorine molecules making it taste sweeter than sugar. Your body doesnt recognize chlorine so it doesnt metabolize it, hence the no calorie claim! Studies done on animals show a 40% reduction of the thymus gland as well as swelling of the liver and kidneys!

Actually this isn't accurate.

Splenda is made from sugar. The three hydroxyl groups (oxygen and hydrogen) on the sucrose compound are replaced with chloride ions, which are electrolytes found naturally in the body.

Dosing for these experiments are generally not physiologically relevant and thus far there are too few conclusive studies to show this sweetener as being harmful at levels that are able to be consumed on a daily basis.

Exactly. Go back and check out the Splenda thread from a few days ago. I listed four different scientific studies with working links showing the various research on sucralose including a massive review of other studies that concluded that Splenda has no proven harmful physical or metabolic effects. If you're going to claim something will kill people provide a link to the relevant scientific study. If it's not one health scare it'ss another. And remember the old pharmacist's adage - the only difference between food, medicine and poison is dosage levels. Even arsenic can be healthy if taken in small enough doses and water will kill you if consumed in excess.
  • tsimehc2000
    tsimehc2000 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I used to work for a company that was involved in the pioneering work on sucralose. I'm a bachelor degreed chemist by education. Most artificial sweeteners (exception being aspartame) are based of the sucrose molecule. I know for a fact that the synthesization of sucralose was based on designing a better non-caloric sweetener by a company that is involved in food science - the company I previously worked for.

All that being said, I prefer natural non-caloric sweeteners like stevia over synthetic sweeteners.
  • Gabriella34
    Options
    Oh! Thats really new to me! Glad I read your post~ I use splenda all the time, so this came as a little bit of a shock to me. Ive learned that diet sugars are not good for you, and may result in cancer. Knowing that they may cause inflammation of the kidneys would explain the random pains I feel at times. It may be a result of using splenda and by working out.
  • yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I love you songbyrd

i dont use splenda, but i think i love you too
  • jazzybean1
    jazzybean1 Posts: 113
    Options
    stevia or truvia as well, both natural. Honey occasionally as it has many health benefits...
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I used to be a Splenda-holic until I discovered Stevia (Truvia)...it really is superior and doesn't taste "fake".
  • clw_888
    clw_888 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Aaaahhh...the great artificial sweeteners debate. Good or bad for you? I choose not to eat any form of artificial sweeteners since everytime I do I end up with a migraine. I stick with honey or plain old sugar and make sure to work it into my calories if I need a bit of sweet.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Jut thought I would mention that municipal drinking water supplies are also clorinated.
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    if all I ate was a brick of splenda every day, exclusively, I'd probably get an enlarged liver too.

Lucky I only put a packet in my tea once a week or so....:noway:

ROFl. .. agreed, everything is bad in extreme measurements. .. I use splenda, Truvia ick, stevia ick, tried them in my cookies recently, I didn't make choclate chip cookies, i made chocolate chip biscuits, such a waste of money. . . next time, i will use Splenda.