I'm going to try again and will need support.

I gave up for a couple weeks and gained three pounds, but am going to try it again. I have been having a bad time sticking to good eating habits because my husband of forty years has been diagnosed with colon cancer and it has been really hard to eat what I am suppose while we run around to see different doctors and eat out often. He will be having surgery on Thursday to remove part of his colon. Also my son and daughter-in-law that I love dearly have decided to divorce so have been pretty stressed. I decided it's better to try to stick to my calories on the days that I can than to give up entirely. Any ideas on sticking to an eating plan eating out and not having much time for exercise? I will be working during the daytime and at the hospital in the evenings :cry:

Replies

• LindaLou1397
    LindaLou1397 Posts: 69 Member
    I gave up for a couple weeks and gained three pounds, but am going to try it again. I have been having a bad time sticking to good eating habits because my husband of forty years has been diagnosed with colon cancer and it has been really hard to eat what I am suppose while we run around to see different doctors and eat out often. He will be having surgery on Thursday to remove part of his colon. Also my son and daughter-in-law that I love dearly have decided to divorce so have been pretty stressed. I decided it's better to try to stick to my calories on the days that I can than to give up entirely. Any ideas on sticking to an eating plan eating out and not having much time for exercise? I will be working during the daytime and at the hospital in the evenings :cry:
  • Manda86
    Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
    I'm so sorry to hear about everything that's going on. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

To answer your question, my suggestion would be to pack lunches/dinners if possible when you know you won't be at home so that you can still control your caloric intake- Variety is the spice of life, they say, and sometimes it helps to mix things up a bit if you're like I am and get bored easily with food. Best of luck to you, please keep us updated!

*hugs*

:heart: Manda
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Big hugs to you and your family:flowerforyou:

If you are going to be eating out eat only half of the meal and choose wisely. Get grilled chicken, salads(light dressing on the side) you know things like that. Make eating out work for you.
    Also if you can on your breaks take a walk. Walking does wonders for your mind and body.

I hope things start looking up soon.:heart:

-Adrienne:heart:
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Hey girlie!!!

My husband was diagnosed with cancer the day my daughter was born. We have been together since high school 19 years ago, and now married for almost 16 years. BUT ANYWAY!!! I think what helped the most is that I didn't use this time to "stress eat."

We had to travel 6 hours round trip to my hubby's treatments. I decided to just make eating as easy as possible. I simplified meals, and did what I could to "survive." I would go through the drive through at McDonald's during our drive and pick up a chicken sandwich, I became addicted to Burger King's Mandarin Orange Salad, Publix for Sushi, picked up lunch meat and rolls with bags of carrots to munch along the way.

Nobody really talks about the toll this stress can take on the caregiver of someone who has cancer. My heart goes out to you girlie! Stay strong and keep moving forward no matter what is thrown your way. You can do it!!!! :flowerforyou: Feel free to send me a note if you need to vent/chat/yammer!
  • Your husband is in my prayers.

Pack as many filling snacks as you can. Relax and take a walk, I admire your concern for your family but you have to look after yourself as well, as arduous as it probably is lately.