working out while sick

Options
hi guys! my spring break starts this thursday, so I promised myself I would work out every day this week in order to be ready. But, I've all of a sudden got really bad allergies. I'm dizzy and incredibly stuffy. I know some people say that working out helps allergies, but what do you guys think? I'm basically addicted to running and would love to go on a nice, long run today because it's finally warm out, but I don't want to push it. any thoughts? thanks for the help in advance!

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I've gone running before when I've been like that and spent the rest of the day coughing and exhausted. My advice would be to take an easy run and see how you feel. If you don't feel well afterward, it's probably not a good idea to keep it up. Walking might be a better alternative.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Generally if it is in your chest and higher, it is okay to work out, if it is in your stomach or lower, then you should take it easy!

I suggest buying some Japanese white flower oil (sold in the pharmacy) and sniff some, it will clear your sinuses right up. you should be good to go after that. be careful tho its strong!
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I continue to work out when I am sick if it's a cold or sinus issue but I wouldn't go for a long run if I were dizzy.
  • HelenTheKitchen
    Options
    If I were you I'd take it easy. Sometimes exercise can make it worse because it raises your body heat. If it were me I'd do some really easy yoga, it might make you feel better.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I'll do a low intensity cardio session when sick.
    But i don't do strength training.
  • sammybey
    sammybey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've had a slightly sore throat, stuffy nose, and cough since Friday. I worked out Sat/Sun and actually felt better afterwards (which is not what I was expecting). I say--- try to go slow and see how you feel!
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    If I'm truly sick (with a fever) I don't work out. My body needs to rest.

If I'm slightly under the weather with allergies or whatever, I still try to exercise.

If I'm just feeling emotionally crappy, I will either work out (and usually feel better afterwards) or just give in and promise myself that tomorrow is a new day.

I'm also a believer in "rest days" between working out... but that's just me!
  • cdalt24
    cdalt24 Posts: 55
    Options
    thanks guys!