Feeling Defeated because I am not Mastering the Push Up :(

Options
HI guys, I have a quick question.
I cannot do a push up or the modified girly version. My upper body is very weak. I just want to know from people that have been where I am at, did you use other exercises to build the upper body before doing the push up or what. I don't know if I am doing something wrong but it is very sad to me and I want to be able to do one badly. Thanks.

Replies

• BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat. I now can do two regular pushups and 12 modified push ups. I used two weight and did chest press to build up my chest. I did bicep curls and and tricep exstensions (overhead & behind my back). Planks work for me also because it help me work on my push up form while working my abs.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I do weights as well as pushups and have seen progress. I do taekwondo and we have to do 20 pushups on our knuckles. I couldn't do them very deeply at first and definitely not on my knuckles! But I kept pushing myself to go a little lower each time and eventually I worked my way up to doing all of them. Then I started adding one more on my knuckles each week.

Set a goal for how many you're going to complete that day and it what form then do everything you can to just get there. Then build on it and you'll see results!
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    A couple of things you can do. Reverse pushups, lifting weights more, planks, plank up downs, and YOGA!!
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    You can start by doing a modified pushup against a wall or a counter top or a chair or bench, etc. Once you can do those for awhile, you can drop down to the floor and start doing some on your knees. Once you go on your knees for awhile, then try and get 1 real pushup and do the rest on your knees. Then progress to doing 2 real ones, then on your knees, etc. The best way to be able to do pushups is to keep trying to do them.
  • cptino
    cptino Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You need to start slowly and build the strength in your upper body. Start by doing pushups on the wall. If you can do that easily, move to the stairs. The lower the stair you use, the harder it will be. Once you have mastered the stairs, move to modified on the floor, then unmodified on the floor. It takes time, diligence and patience.

It has taken me a long time to be able to do what I can do now, which is 100 modified (I only know this because I had to do it for a martial arts class), but I can now successfully do about 10-12 real, on the floor, on my toes pushups.

Keep working!!!! YOU CAN DO IT!
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    MFP'er Guardup has a blog that walks you through building up to a push up - check it out:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/guardup
  • gooberr4
    gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    don't get discouraged!! you'll get there! just keep at it. :)
  • eantowne
    eantowne Posts: 5
    Options
    Something else to throw in there....lower back exercises. Being able to keep your back straight while either in the plank, or modified push-up position is considerably easier with good strong core muscles. This will also make the entire process of the push-up a little bit easier (focusing only on chest/Shoulder/triceps) instead of core also........

Ean
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Try doing Stand up push ups........ ie stand against the wall and do a "push up" pushing off the wall.
    If that seems easy, then take a step back and do the same thing.
    Keep repeating while stepping back until you find that spot.

Another possibility is to do a "push up" off a chair, or the back of a sofa/couch.

Stairs are another possibility.

All these will get your chest muscles ready for a push up on your knees
  • bigcurt61
    bigcurt61 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Start out doing them on the wall and once you master that pretty good move to the steps, then to modified then to regulars, then to feet on steps, then to hands on medicine ball, then to what ever your heart desires :happy: . Also the pectorals (chest) are not the only muscles you need to strength. You also need to work on triceps (1st secondary muscle) and anterior deltoid (or shoulders). If you want more info just inbox me and we can set something up for you.

Curt
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Elastic exercise bands are another alternative to help you gradually build strength. Just keep working at it and in no time you will be cranking out the pushups!
  • KristynStephens15
    KristynStephens15 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Wall pushups, i built up to doing 50 at a time, then switched to modified, then regular. do them daily, youll get there.
  • eantowne
    eantowne Posts: 5
    Options
    Balcony Railings are also a ver good intermediate build-up.....
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    My arms are SO weak. i do mini push ups.....I dont go down all the way, or even half way...probably half of half....its helping to build that strength
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone that said wall pushups. Also overall strength training in general will help build the muscles needed to complete a pushup. Once you can master a modified pushup, there is a great site, hundredpushups.com, that gives you a program based on your current level of fitness to help increase your pushups. It's terrific and really works! Good luck!