tummy help?

Options
Marla64
Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
Okay-- here's the problem-- after nine babies, nearly two years sedentary (believe it or not) with a home typing job, the middle aged spread has hit. My tummy muscles are so weak I can't even get off the floor when I do crunches. I barely feel them when I'm working them, and NEVER have the burn and pain the next day like most people. I'm losing weight, but NOT in the lower belly and the crunches have barely made a dent. I weigh what I did two years ago, but it has all been reproportioned, and I look like hell.

Anyone know of any good lower belly tips?

Replies

• Marla64
    Options
    Okay-- here's the problem-- after nine babies, nearly two years sedentary (believe it or not) with a home typing job, the middle aged spread has hit. My tummy muscles are so weak I can't even get off the floor when I do crunches. I barely feel them when I'm working them, and NEVER have the burn and pain the next day like most people. I'm losing weight, but NOT in the lower belly and the crunches have barely made a dent. I weigh what I did two years ago, but it has all been reproportioned, and I look like hell.

Anyone know of any good lower belly tips?
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I would suggest pushing yourself harder.

Instead of just doing crunches, try lifting your knees to meet your elbows while you're doing them.

Lay on your back, put your feet up straight above you, hands palm-down at your sides, and lift your hips off the ground.

Maybe invest in some ab-work DVDs....

From what I understand, you can never completely undo what babies (especially 9!!!) do to your stomach, but you should be able to build some muscle and tone the area.

Good luck!
  • Marla64
    Options
    Well, since there have been 34 views to this post and only one reply, I figured my answer was going to be what I figured, which is what you said. Keep trying, and push harder.

I'm familiar with the exercise you mentioned and try that one, too, but without a crane from the local construction site, these hips barely get off the floor. :wink:

I was hoping someone may know some "NEW" floor exercise that someone just discovered--

Thanks for the encouragement--
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I'm a certified personal trainer, pre- and post-partum specialization. Here's the thing. As the PP said, there's nothing shy of surgery you can do to completely eliminate what the expansion and contraction of 9 pregnancies does to you skin and also your abdominal muscles (thanks to genes, some people have an easier time with the muscle part, but it's reasonable to see less tone after multiple pregnancies). Doing crunches focuses dominantly on your rectus abdominis (the "six pack" muscles) which is fine, but especially where you're feeling a lack of strength and after bringing your nine beautiful babies into the world, you need to focus at least as much on your core. I would suggest finding a mat pilates series you enjoy (I love Windsor Pilates because they are concise) and doing that several times a week to augment your core strength. And don't forget cardio!! You cannot unearth muscle with muscle work (aside from the indirect fact that gaining muscle means you burn more base calories) so you have to do cardio to shed the fat.

It's challenging to adjust to the phenomenon that begins at 30 for most people, where ever ydecade marks a notable decrease in metabolism and an increase in the speed at which muscles will atrophy (shrink and lose power and tone). But you can make positive changes that will help your strength and your sense of fitness.

Best! :flowerforyou:
  • Marla64
    Options
    Pedalhound-- yep, age has been not too fun-- 44 years old now, and the skin is heading for the floor!

I do have Windsor Pilates, what I lack is the time-- must find a way to do at least the 20 minute DVD.

I've been trying to run 3 times a week, but time for that is in short supply, too.
  • mydogmesa2
    mydogmesa2 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I definetly recommend you get a weighted hoop. (like a hula hoop) This is the best exercise for my abs that I have ever done. Id start with a 2-3 lbs hoop. It will be sore for the first few days but it gets so easy after that. I have worked up to a 6 lb hoop and my stomach is almost as flat as when I was in high school and I have two kids. I got mine on craigslist. I have an Acu-hoop. The site is
    www.sports-hoop.com but there are all different sites where you can get customized oned for less. I like the Au-hoop because it is padded and actually "massages" as you use it. They are guaranteed to take of two inches a month if you use it just 5 minutes a day three times a week!!! Good Luck:tongue:
  • Marla64
    Options
    Oh my, if I buy one more piece of exercise equipment, I'm gonna be kicked to the curb! LOL. I have everything from the ab-roller to the thighmaster. Every new commercial that comes on, before I say anything my husband turns to me and says, 'No." :laugh:

I'll have to work with what I have.
  • rosenbss
    rosenbss Posts: 54
    Options
    i love my video i got from ****s sporting goods its anna vcabanna pila. video with these rubber bands helped my belly alot..
  • aprildpettitt
    Options
    Oh my, if I buy one more piece of exercise equipment, I'm gonna be kicked to the curb! LOL. I have everything from the ab-roller to the thighmaster. Every new commercial that comes on, before I say anything my husband turns to me and says, 'No." :laugh:

I'll have to work with what I have.

don't know if i'm right or not - but aren't those huge exercise balls supposed to be good for strengthening muscles?? you could justify it that it is a BALL not EQUIPMENT :wink:
  • mydogmesa2
    mydogmesa2 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    lol Im the same way. There are also instructions online as to how to make your own hoop. You use soft tubing and fill it with sand. Google it and Im sure youll find it.:happy:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I definetly recommend you get a weighted hoop. (like a hula hoop) This is the best exercise for my abs that I have ever done. Id start with a 2-3 lbs hoop. It will be sore for the first few days but it gets so easy after that. I have worked up to a 6 lb hoop and my stomach is almost as flat as when I was in high school and I have two kids. I got mine on craigslist. I have an Acu-hoop. The site is
    www.sports-hoop.com but there are all different sites where you can get customized oned for less. I like the Au-hoop because it is padded and actually "massages" as you use it. They are guaranteed to take of two inches a month if you use it just 5 minutes a day three times a week!!! Good Luck:tongue:

that sounds really cool, i'd never thought of a weighted hoop before
  • Marla64
    Options
    [[/quote]

don't know if i'm right or not - but aren't those huge exercise balls supposed to be good for strengthening muscles?? you could justify it that it is a BALL not EQUIPMENT :wink:
    [/quote]

Already have one.:bigsmile:
  • StrawberryMargarita
    Options
    I had never heard of that, but it sounds great. Do you use it just like a hula hoop? I was never able to do those, UnCordinated!!!:cry: I am willing to try it though. MMM tubing here I come.

As for the tummy thing, As a person who has gained and lost weight a lot, I know the stomach pouch is the very last thing to leave on me. I am at the part where I am actually starting to see it go down, almost like a balloon. The more crunches I do and core workout and running, the more I see the indent under the bottom rib, but I still have a stomach. It is a lot of working out. I don't know about having nine babies though. I would think at 44 your skin should be able to come back. I know I got so huge with my one baby I looked like I was going to have two huge babies and my stretch marks were so bad (they went from the netherlands clear up to under my breasts) they bleed. It was horible & painful:noway: . I know I will never have beautiful skin, but it does go down when I work at it and the marks don't show that much when I get them tan. I don't know if this will help, but I would keep trying those stomach workout. It can't hurt!:flowerforyou:
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Greetings Ladies! That hula hoop sounds fun! I agree with the advice to incorporate the knees into your crunches.

Bellydance tones the muscles and the skin...when I 1st started dancing I had a saggy lower ab but not anymore...the results come pretty quickly as well.

Here's one of the exercises we do to warm up for bellyrolls:

Stand with feet shoulder width apart...bend at waist - back paralel to the floor gazing forward a bit or with back and neck in alignment (it gives you a nice stretch in your hamstrings as well)...pull your belly in tight as you can for at least 10 seconds...release for a couple of seconds and repeat...it is especially beneficial in you break up your abs into 3 sections, upper, middle and lower...concentrate the pull on one area at a time for at least 10 seconds and release for a couple of seconds...repeat.

I like to work reps: upper, release, middle, release, lower, release...repeat for as many sets as you like...when I first started doing these I had to help my lower right ab to contract...when I squeezed in I had to use my hand to push the loose skin to the muscle...I didn't have to do that for very long...it is a very effective exercise...I'm a Grandmother and still feel comfortable in a bikini...believe me, it works!

You'll find what works for you...accept yourself as you are right now and know that you can do the work to reach your goals!
  • Noland
    Noland Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Fitness starts with the core... you are ALWAYS using the muscles in your core. Think about it on a daily basis. Without your core, you couldn't even get in and out of a car. I recommend warming up with a super set of 3 exercises. One for your rectus abdominis ("six pack"), one for your obliques, and one for your transverse abdomonis (the deep muscle that wraps around the lower part of your torso). Try a basic crunch (as you get stronger make it harder by adding weight, using a stability ball, or extending your arms over head), oblique curls (side curls), and reverse curls (life lower body instead of top). Also, think pilates. Movements should be slowed and controlled. Do one set of twelve rep for each exercise and then repeat. Then continue with your normal workout. Another tip: During your resistance training workouts, work on a stable, yet unstable surface (stand on one foot while doing bicep curls). This will engage your abominal muscles more. And don't forget your cardio. Up the intensity and duration. There is no such thing as spot training! Good luck. Hope this helps!
  • Marla64
    Options
    Awesome-- thanks everyone!!
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options
    I went to a physical therapist after I was done having children and had to basically start all over developing ab strength. I could not have done it without some expert help. (I would have done too much too soon, etc.)

I hope you find what works for you.
  • Marla64
    Options
    Noland-- I did all the ab stuff you suggested last night, and even brushed my teeth standing on one foot. LOL. I love it-- I could really feel the tugging and pulling all through the core to keep upright.

Woo hoooooooooo-- feeling great this morning-- another pound lost--
  • Noland
    Noland Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Awesome... good for you... Keep it up!
  • MrsButler
    Options
    I need help in this area as well. I am a thick and solid girl, but my stomach is the one thing about my body that I feel the most uncomfortable about...unless I am wearing my Spanx. I haven't had any children, but I want to get in shape before that happens...