HRM How Accurate

Options
dhiggins8
dhiggins8 Posts: 466 Member
How Accurate are heart rate monitors I have one with a chest strap and we wondering how accurate they are as far as calories burned. Take today I put it on this morning and from 6 am to 1:30 pm it is reading that I have burned 1353 calories. how do I use this to bennifit MFP and weight loss?

Replies

• jsmith2377
    jsmith2377 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I usually use mine only when I work out. Mine seems pretty accurate when I work out. On MFP, they calculate your BMR or how many calories you burn just daily without exercise. Try using it only for exercise. I think that would be more accurate.
  • goal30Lori
    goal30Lori Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Heart rate monitors are meant to be used during steady state cardio workouts like running, bicycling, elliptical, etc. They are not meant to be worn all day. MFP's goal and lifestyle settings will account for the calories you will burn doing regular day-to-day type activities, so you will only need to wear and use the HRM data when you are doing exercise that is over and above your daily routine. Only exercise calories should be added towards your daily goal, not calories burned from regular 'life'.

I hope that makes sense!
    Lori.