what to do for a pulled muscle

Options
had a few days off last week and decided to go to the gym everyday. only problem is I think I over did it and pulled a muscle in my leg! I've got a dull pain that goes up and down my left leg. I take 3 advil a couple times a day, which I'm told promotes healing, but it does nothing for the pain.

I'm tired of resting. I need to work out! I walked on the treadmill for 30 min yesterday and it wore me out! I've found,however, that if I keep moving it's better, maybe warming the muscle or keeping the blood circulating?

help!

Replies

• vegasmellie
    vegasmellie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    had a few days off last week and decided to go to the gym everyday. only problem is I think I over did it and pulled a muscle in my leg! I've got a dull pain that goes up and down my left leg. I take 3 advil a couple times a day, which I'm told promotes healing, but it does nothing for the pain.

I'm tired of resting. I need to work out! I walked on the treadmill for 30 min yesterday and it wore me out! I've found,however, that if I keep moving it's better, maybe warming the muscle or keeping the blood circulating?

help!
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    If it continues, I'd go to a doctor. Try workouts that involve other parts of the body for awhile. It will never heal if you don't rest it! Ice and heat alternating are good, but if you really did a number on it a doc can recommend ways to soothe it and strengthen it better than I.

I know it's a bummer when you are motivated and something like this crops up. But remember, we are doing this to be healthy and that includes listening to your "owies" and taking proper care of injuries!

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • calatibo
    calatibo Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    pulled muscle...R.I.C.E.

Rest
    Ice
    Compression
    Elevation

shouldn't do too much on it for a while (couple of days) and see how it holds up when you ease the exercise up a bit. make sure you strech before you do any exercise, but don't over extend or bouce the strech or it will be aggravated.
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Ibuprofen is a muscle relaxant. While it helps with pain in some amount, it is intended for muscular injuries, and promotes healing by allowing the muscle to rest.
    Prescription strength is 800 mg.

For a pulled muscle, I alternate tylenol with ibuprofen. 1000 mg of tylenol, then 800 of ibuprofen. If it is really bad then I alternate every 4-6 hours. If it is somewhat tolerable or I am at work, it's every 6-8 hours for me. Tylenol actually acts in the brain to block the pain impulse. So by combining them, I get the best of both worlds.

Do not take this as a recommendation, this is only what doctors have had me do in the past.