eating well, spending less

Options
2»

Replies

• emariec78
    emariec78 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    It's time consuming and a hassle, but I find it very worth it to shop around and check all the supermarkets in the area. I'm lucky enough to have nearly every major supermarket in a 10 minute drive to my house. I have been known to run to 3 different supermarkets in a row to buy things on sale. I only buy produce when it is on sale. Also, I agree with the other postings- buy frozen! Stock up when it's on sale. Clip your coupons for frozen veggies (there are plenty) and find a store that doubles mfr's coupons. Go on the supermarket's website and see if they offer additional coupons for sale products.

Glad I"m not the only one who does this! I usually hit 2 or 3 stores each week as well. Wish I had Trader Joe's in my area, but I have pretty good luck with Sunflower Market for cheap produce.
  • ashers1819
    ashers1819 Posts: 160
    Options
    Do you have an Vegetable Box Scheme where you are? If not look it up on the internet and find out.

We have them here in the UK... the veg is organic, ample and tasty and is delivered to your door weekly.

You select what bits you don't want to be included.

It is worthwhile for you to think about something like this because you are less likely to waste the vegetables that are delivered because they are so flavourful.

They have different size boxes depending on the size of your family and might be a better option for you. The major supermarkets not only charge a fortune but their veg is full of pesticides and often times lacking in taste.

Good luck with your search.
  • mandysjourney
    mandysjourney Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I ofteshop early in the morn or later at night and grab the close to used by date items (meat and fruit and veg) that have been marked down.
    Also walk to the local fruit and veg store that are cheaper plus save on fuel, and burn a few cals.
    Buy in bulk and freeze or store the extrra. Meat is often cheaper in larger quantities
  • sammybey
    sammybey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I also shop at several different grocery stores- Price Chopper due to gas savings mostly, and then Trader Joe's for frozen fruit, oatmeal, bagged salads, hummus, etc. I do compare their prices with Price Chopper and find their produce section (mostly) lacking. Maybe once a month I will make the 30 min trek to Whole Foods for specialty items.

I am also looking forward to hopefully joining a CSA (community supported agriculture) this spring or summer with my boyfriend. If we can't find one, then we will hit up farmer's markets often over the summer.

I have been spending close to $100/week on groceries. :(
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I check the online weekly circulars to see which stores have what on sale, and shop at what has the most I want at a good price. Just because strawberries are $.50 cheaper at another store, it's not worth making a special trip just to save fifty cents, in time or gas money.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • north35
    north35 Posts: 70
    Options
    Bump :)