Question on Activity Level

Options
Okay, I have been at the active level for the past few months and have been losing pretty good.
However, I was looking over the descriptions for the levels and the only activity I do in the summer is workout for an hour or so a day. Sometimes I am more up and on the go but for the most part pretty tame.

When school starts though I am either standing in one spot, walking around the class, or walking rapidly in the kitchens (home ec teacher). Would I be sedintary, light or moderate???

Replies

• ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Okay, I have been at the active level for the past few months and have been losing pretty good.
    However, I was looking over the descriptions for the levels and the only activity I do in the summer is workout for an hour or so a day. Sometimes I am more up and on the go but for the most part pretty tame.

When school starts though I am either standing in one spot, walking around the class, or walking rapidly in the kitchens (home ec teacher). Would I be sedintary, light or moderate???
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like at LEAST light. I was the head secretary at an elementary school - I know the running around you teachers do! :laugh: Moderate to me is someone who lifts boxes and constantly moves - like maybe a postman (?) but that's just my perception.
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    That's what I was thinking for school too....

So for the summer would I be sedintary, since I only work out in the mornings? I mean I do some running here and there but it is summer....or should I keep it as light as long as I am losing the expected weight loss?
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I chose sedentary because I work at a computer most of the day or desk work or am sitting driving somewhere or sitting visiting someone--in other words, a lot of sitting!

If you're doing anything other than sitting most of the day, I wouldn't choose sedantary.
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    Yeah, I was thinking that too....
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    I just don't want my activity level to be throwing my calories all off.....

I could see me being lightly active for the most part....however, if I am supposed to be active (do to workouts or teaching....there have been a few running experiences in my labs) there is a decent calorie gap there for someone like me.

Advise if not know how is what I am going for.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I don't count my exercise when deciding on my activity level. Otherwise, you would then be "doubling" up on eating your exercise calories because it would already be given you extra calories for the day then you would have your "real" exercise calories added into the daily totals. Does that make sense?

I would say to compare your day with what you feel one of the occupations listed does during the day and go from there. Try it for a couple weeks--if you're not losing or gaining, then lower your activity level.
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    It does make sense. I hadn't considered that it didn't include regular (ALWAYS every day dones) exercises since it's done regularly.
    a
    I will keep it at Light (since it WAS at active and see what happens.....ahhh only 1200 calories w/o exercise). Yeah, I am the type that works out to eat. :laugh: