Anyone ever done hot/heated power yoga?

Options
2»

Replies

• alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I tried it about 2 or 3 years ago. I was not into exercising at all and almost never did any kind of workout. I wasn't overweight.

Anyway, I passed out. I was doing a one armed side bridge and all of a sudden I wake up and i'm on the floor. They had it pretty dark in the room too, so it was very disorienting. I didn't like it very much, it was a hot room full of people and sweat.

To each his own, I enjoy a cold, well lit room
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    As one arm side bridge is not part of the Bikram series, I can guarantee this did not occur on in a certified yoga studio. There is a reason that Bikram did not put arm, shoulder or head balance poses in his beginner series.

There is no official governing board over yoga teachers and yoga studios. Therefor you will find a huge variance in he quality and capabilities of yoga classes in general. Personally I love my current studio, but am glad I have a background onthe heat from my Bikram days. Some of the poses are just not accessible for people new to yoga.
    I tried it about 2 or 3 years ago. I was not into exercising at all and almost never did any kind of workout. I wasn't overweight.

Anyway, I passed out. I was doing a one armed side bridge and all of a sudden I wake up and i'm on the floor. They had it pretty dark in the room too, so it was very disorienting. I didn't like it very much, it was a hot room full of people and sweat.

To each his own, I enjoy a cold, well lit room
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I love it! I heard recently of someone passing out, but it was because they closed their eyes and held their breath in backward bending pose.

I have had problems with my back and my ankle, both of which have improved demonstrably since I started about 2 months ago. It does take some getting used to (the studio near me has an introductory offer of 10 days for $19), but the discipline, effort, and feeling of empowerment, not to mention the wonderful night's sleep is well worth it.

It is an acquired taste, but one I'm glad I persisted with, especially since now I can get me head to my knees!

GG
  • suzieqdiva
    suzieqdiva Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Ok.. just got back from my 3rd session. I do agree bikram is overwhelming at first.. but like with anything new.. you have to give it a chance & settle in. I realized I like it enough & it can help my body become more flexible & heal from the sciatic & back pain I have.. if I let it work. Today I just tried to do what was comfortable & I am feeling like I just had a deep tissue massage & want to snuggle in & go to sleep. It feels awesome.

Like anything else there are articles stressing how it is bad.. but when I am there I see how flexible & strong the body can get & I can make it a strong energetic home for me.

I would say if you are curious... give it a try:)

Also, I assumed this, but th eBikram studio I am going to.. the instructors are talking you through the posture every step of the way & also coming around. So far I am tried 3 teachers in 3 classes & all of them are GREAT. Maybe you need to look for a Bikram studio.