THERE ARE NO SHORTCUTS!!!

Options
Listen people, this is a pretty simple thing: eat healthy foods and a reasonable amount of them. Exercise and burn more calories than you take in. If you do those things, you will lose weight. Period.

All these fad diets - soups and pills and this and that - DON'T WORK!!! They may help you drop weight in the short term, but you will rebound and gain it all back. Don't do it!!

Also, don't be in such a hurry. If you have a lot of weight to lose, then you can probably safely lose 2-3 pounds a week. As you get closer and closer to a maintenance weight, you will not lose weight as quickly and may have to be satisfied losing a pound or less each week. That is okay!! That is your body looking out for itself and that is healthy, maintainable weight loss!!

Every day, we all see posts from people who are looking for the "easy" way to lose weight fast. Guess what? If those "easy" ways worked, none of us would need MFP. Blood. Sweat. Tears. That's what it takes and each and every one of us can do it!!

Replies

• Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    AMEN Brotha!

There is no substitute for good hard work.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    What Celo said! ;)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    From your mouth..................:flowerforyou:
  • OnionCookie
    OnionCookie Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    This post should be required reading for anyone wanting to "diet".
  • thisis4me
    thisis4me Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    AMEN TO THAT!!!!!:)
  • andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • celticgirl1787
    Options
    Yes! As my mom has said, it took time to put the weight on, it'll take time to take it off too. Patience and diligence are what its all about!
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • AndreaWyland
    AndreaWyland Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I like it! Well said! Needed to hear again too:) Thank you!
  • linemansgirl
    Options
    LOVE it!!!!!!! :bigsmile: This is the second time that I have lost over 100 pounds in the last 10 years. :blushing: I have people asking me all of the time what my "secret" to being so good at losing weight is. They are SO disappointed when I tell them that I don't have a secret, just eat less and exercise more! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • sandrahover
    sandrahover Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Well said!! :wink:
  • DeenaSteelerGirl
    Options
    Great advise ! You said it !
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    thank you!
    It really drives me crazy reading the posts you mention (or having friends tell me they are doing X or Y diet and they will lose 20lbs a month and they hardly have to do anything. When you tell them they will gain the weight back, they are always like - oh, I know, but I need to lose XX lbs by such and such a date .... really? you don't mind gaining it back!?! and have to go through it all over again. As my father always told me, if you're going to do something - do it right the first time!!

I just wish something that seems so simple, would be easy to understand ....
  • blessedtobefit
    blessedtobefit Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I couldn't have said it any better myself. High fives right back at ya!!

223713.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Well said! I know when friends ask me how I've lost 80 lbs and I reply just good old fashioned exercise and diet there is no miracle pill, they don't like my response because most of them don't want to work at it. I've actually lost friends due to my weight loss and it took me a long time to figure out that it's their loss and their feelings of jealousy/inadequacy that caused the falling out.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I agree with the general message, except I don't think losing weight requires blood, sweat, and tears. It just requires being a little smarter and a little more diligent about making healthy decisions every single day. I think the reason a lot of people gain the weight back is because they do make weight loss such an extreme experience. If you're doing something to lose weight that you wouldn't be able to do the rest of your life, then stop.
  • SongbirdLandy
    SongbirdLandy Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    SO SO SO true! There are definitely no quick fixes or magic pills! It just takes dedication!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Agreed. There's no such thing as an "easy" way to do it. Anything that doesn't require dedication and planning has every reason to fail once the instant gratification of quick success is acquired.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    What's so sad is you have to dig through all the crap information on this site to find the good information. I've spent the last 5 months doing that and have learned so much. This is why I'm not hell bent on losing weight and more interested in becoming strong and fit. I want to lose body fat not muscle mass.

I actually read something today: the lady is doing maybe 10 minutes a day of walking and isn't losing weight and someone told her she is building muscle!!