I dont understand why

Options
b00b0084
b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
I have been on thise site for about a week and I have cut down on the calories that I am so used to eating, but at the same time I feel soooo tired and rundown. Could that possibly be connected to the calorie cut? Are there any suggestions?

Replies

• Walt75
    Walt75 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Protein?
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It could just be part of the transition with you eating better. I know when I first lower my calorie (and therefore carb intake) I feel off for the fiirst week or two until things balance back out. Try increasing your protein a little - it really helps with energy and hunger. Also, make sure you're getting plenty of rest and exercising regularly. And maybe take a vitamin if you're not.
  • monoxidechick
    Options
    I felt that way at first also, once I started to drink more water, eat more protein and fiber, make sure I get my other vitamins and find my healthy balance of meals and a regular(ish) excercise routine it began to get better. Still have the tired sluggish days, but it is way better. I have not cut out coffee and green tea though, so maybe this is a change you have made? Just play around with what you are doing and make sure to excercise, it does help to give you more energy. Good luck, hope it works out for you!!
  • butterfly_lvr
    Options
    with your high sodium intake every day are you drinking a lot of water to keep that flushed? looking at your food diary seems like an awful lot of sodium on any given day
  • afcparker
    afcparker Posts: 33
    Options
    Definatly make sure you're eating well rounded. Lots of protein like they said.
    I take B-Complex and Vit. D and E....along with lots of water through the day I have enough energy to make it through.

However, they days with less sleep or no excerise are REALLY hard to get through.

Balance is key!
    Good luck!
  • ehedges31
    ehedges31 Posts: 72
    Options
    yes! be sure to intake lots of protein and green tea! besides being super good for you green tea has caffeine that speeds up your metabolism for a few hours which in turn will burn more fat! :)

best of luck!!
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I looked at your food diary - your carbs are down 100g plus in some cases and so is your sugar. We get fast energy from carbs and sugar and now you're giving your body the right amount of carbs so it's going to be a little tired until it gets adjusted. Protein will help and so will a vitamin.
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Honestly - and this is going to sound pretty blunt - it's because you are eating a bunch of crap. Hot dogs, sugar cookies, Fruity Pebbles, Ramen noodles, Sprite, etc do not give you ANY nutrition worth mentioning. Quit eating all the processed junk, get some fruits and vegetables, have plenty of protein and I promise you'll find some energy.
  • b00b0084
    Options
    I have UPed my water intake alot! I have drastically cut my soda intake ( i have a caffine addictions) and I am trying to lower my sodium as well. I have an addiction to salty foods. I was never raised on healthy eating styles so that is a habit I am trying to change as well. I def need to look into more protien.
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    What you're describing sounds like an amino acid (protein) deficiency. And from the looks of your diary, you should be feeling that way.
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    Try and get some fruit and veg into your diet and as others have previously said, drink plenty of water. It could be the transition, but a healthy diet leads to a healthy body. You may be feeling sluggish due to a number of things...if it continues then get yourself to the doctors for a quick check up.

Good Luck :flowerforyou:

edited to add: Maybe try to ween yourself off the caffeine too...the slumps following a caffeine rush may be causing your tiredness.
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Well done on making the first steps to improve your lifestyle.

Protein is very important but it also looks like you need way more fresh fruit and veggies. Take it slowly, maybe try adding a serving of veggies to every meal and then once you've achieved that then you would work on reducing sugar or simple carbs.

It is a learning process but taking one area at a time you WILL get there and you'll feel great once you improve the quality of the calories you consume. Good luck hun :smile:
  • craptacular777
    Options
    I tried doing the vegetarian thing and while it was not hard to do, I simply was not getting enough protein (no veggie flamers please). I was feeling wiped out, dizzy, and just plain exausted after my workouts. You got to have that protein, I don't care what anybody tells you, you simply cannot get enough protein from vegatables unless you are an elephant who eats five bales of hay a day!.
  • Firesign
    Firesign Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Cut down on sodium , sugars and carbs , increase your proteins and vegetables. Drink water... at least 8 cups and exercise . You'll see a big difference in your energy level.:flowerforyou:
  • b00b0084
    Options
    what foods do you guys recommend to up my protien. I am a highly picky eater, so cutting out my junk and snack foods is leaving me with little that i can actually enjoy the taste of.
  • craptacular777
    Options
    egg whites, lentils, and tuna are great sources of low fat protein. If you can handle a little sodium and a bucket full of preservatives try pork rinds or turkey jerky.
  • CalPolyBronco
    CalPolyBronco Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I felt that way too at first. Very tired and run down. Make sure you're not over-calculating certain foods and you are eating as many calories as it says you're suppossed to. Remember to stay hydrated and eat power foods: plenty of veggies & fruit, protein and so on....eat many small meals as oppossed to few large meals. What will happen is if you have several, several hours in between lunch & dinner for instance is your blood sugar is going to drop and you will feel mopey and lethargic. Also, the ideal snack is a complex carbohydrate w/ a protein. Example would be an apple & piece of string cheese. Your body is still making adjustments to eating differently so give it time to adjust, by the 2nd or 3rd week you'll feel better.
  • mk820
    mk820 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Fat Free greek yogurt is great and has tons of protein. If you get the plain it doesn't have much sugar. You can put it in a smoothie, stir some into your oatmeal or eat plain. I made turkey burgers last week and used it to stick the meat together!!
  • b00b0084
    Options
    egg whites, lentils, and tuna are great sources of low fat protein. If you can handle a little sodium and a bucket full of preservatives try pork rinds or turkey jerky.
    prok rinds are a country girls best friend
  • craptacular777
    Options
    Amen to the Greek yogurt! That is an exellent source of no fat, high protein.