Quitting smoking and dieting

Options
Hey everyone!
So I started my healthy diet about 20 days ago and had quit smoking for a month until 2 days ago. My whole idea was that I can't start a diet to live healthy and still smoke because I also started running. So I started the c25k plan 4 weeks ago and have ran every other day since then according to the plan. I have also been using mfp to count my calories and started eating healthy. I quit drinking soda (killer for me) and no fast food except when I had no other choice in which case I just get grilled chicken wraps or sandwiches with no sauce.
Anyways. It has been pretty hard to make all these changes because in my mind I am depriving myself of everything I enjoy, aka smoking, eating whatever I want, soda etc.
So a couple days ago at a concert I decided to bum a few cigs and I havent stopped since then and it is so sad because I went a month! I've been a smoker since I was 13 so IDK if anyone else out there has had this lifestyle and figured out how best to break it.
I ran last night for the first time since smoking and I sounded like a train! I was still able to run just as far but my breathing was terrible and it was obvious.
I dunno what exactly I am asking but has anyone else done this and had success with anything specific?
I took chantix to quit smoking and stopped a few days ago because I was tired of the crazy dreams and such.

Ugh.

Replies

• lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 9 weeks ago going CT and Wellbutrin. So far, it has worked for me and I couldn't be happier.

I had lost more weight than my tracker shows now. After I quit, I put on about 5 pounds. Over the past 2 weeks, I have finally gotten serious about my workouts. I am doing the C25K plan since I signed up for a 5K in beginning of June and I need to get back into running form. What keeps me motivated not to start smoking again, is that I think to how horrible I felt the first week. I don't want to go through that again. Through exercise, I find that I can release a whole lot of stress. I look forward to my workouts.

I have been keeping a very close eye on my food now and the weight is coming off. I find with the a positive frame of mind, you can do it. I see a lot of similarities between those who quit smoking and those who want to change their daily diet. I see a lot of people expecting results right away, and getting frustrated and giving up when they don't see them happening in a day or two. Between both, you have smoked and have lived an unhealthy lifestyle for a long time. It is going to take time before you make the necessarily changes to see the benefits.

I don't know if you have an online support system to quit smoking. quitnet.org is a great site and people are very helpful.

Kat
  • skinnyjeans13
    Options
    I smoked since I was about to turn 16 to right after I turned 25... I'd tried and tried to quit so many times, would last a couple months and would always go back (oh i'm drunk it doesn't count, oh let me just bum one, oh i'm so stressed cause of exams/work etc...) Anyways, nothing worked. Then, I saw my grandmother after she finished chemo (not smoking-related cancer) and it just clicked... she couldn't even swallow, she lost all her hair, she was in so much pain. Why was I basically ASKING for this?

Honestly, it was a mental thing. I decided to quit that day (no last cigarette, nothing) and I haven't looked back. It's been 8 months and yes I've had a couple but I've never bought a pack and I don't plan on every buying one again. But truly, it's ALL mental. You can get over the cravings and everything else but you won't truly quit unless you just DO.
  • Cmuchoa
    Cmuchoa Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I used to hate it when ex smokers would lecture or warn me about smoking. Hell, nothings going to happen to me.

Ok - let me put it to you this way - diet and look great and smoke the cigs - or diet and look great and no cigs. I am currently lugging around a 15 lb oxygen tank with a plastic tube stuck up my nostrils, most likely for the rest of my life, and that my dear doesn't look good. Better just stop now and show those cigs that you are stronger than them. They will and believe me, perhaps not now, but they will eventually ruin yr life later.

I too like everyone else tried to quit smoking w/o success, tried pills, patches, hypnosis and nothing worked. I really needed my mouth stapled closed. Finally I tried Chantix and it worked (totally wierd dreams) but then my Dad got sick suddenly & I spent everyday & moment possible from July 5th until August 25th by his side until he died. Believe me, I was smoking the entire time my Dad was ill and smoking more than ever. After he passed away I would smoke the usual at work but at night I would go out on my deck and chain smoke and would talk to my Dad in the heavens. I wasn't feeling well as I was already diagonosed with Emphysema but that didn't matter. Each cigarette, to me, was my time alone with myself to be alone and think. Not that I was thinking about the actual act of smoking, just smoking and thinking. Well this went on and on thru the winter and I would sometimes feel dizzy when walking back into the house, but it didn't matter. Spring came and so did the pollen. On April 14th (my wedding anniversary) I went out after lunch at work and had gone outside for my usual cigarettes but started coughing and choking like a was kid smoking for the very first time. I went back to my desk and literally choked until 5pm and I know this was annoying some people but others were truly concerned. I thought it was just the pollen. Went home driving and choking (not an easy task to do) and suddenly seemed to stop choking for a while which made me think that it was definitely the pollen around my job and there different kinds of trees by my house and I was ok now. So I went out on the deck and lit one up and started to choke. Didn't feel well & called my husband to say I couldn't celebrate our anniversary like we had planned. I went to bed with about 6 pillows to support me bcuz I couldn't lay down from choking. I spent the night like that - texted myself out of work the next morning and my husband insisted that I go to the hospital. Being pig headed I argued and then 3 hrs later said I would go but needed to take a shower first - vanity b4 health. Well, I didn't know that my oxygen level was basically depleted and when I stepped into the nice hot shower I suffocated - or respirtory failure as the paperwork read. The most horrible feeling ever - I grabbed the shower curtain and walls. Lucky for me my husband and daughter were right there bcuz they knew how bad I was (my son stayed in another room) - I literally watched as they faded from my sight. Next thing I know I am in the ER with tubes down my throat, IV's in both arms like I am was pincushion. I spent 14 days in that hospital and 2 months later another 5 days. I have Emphysema and COPD. My lungs are at 49% total capacity. I cannot get better but if I continue all my meds, breathing treatments, inhalers, oxygen 24/7 I may maintain my current status or may not. But let me tell you...Spring - pollen kills me - Summer heat and humidity - not a good mixture for me - Fall - pollen once again - Winter - cold air takes the wind right out of my lungs that actually hurts.

So, please do yourself a huge favor now and get a prescription for a pill, patch or whatever. Just stop and don't be so stupid as I was - I wish I could have suffocated years ago and perhaps I wouldn't be in this situation today. It is not a good place to be. I still miss my Dad every single day - still go to pick up the phone to call him and realize that he's gone. The cigarettes weren't going to bring my Dad back to me. The cigarettes aren't going to take away any sadness I feel. The cigarettes aren't going to make any problems go away. Smokers will smoke bcuz we are happy, sad, nervous, excited - pls just stop bcuz they will hurt you.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I know this is a weight loss site but quitting the cigarettes comes first in my mind. I'd much rather see you eat whatever for a month than go back to smoking. I am constantly heartbroken by the number of people with cancer, heartndisease, blood clots, poor wound healing, etc, all because of cigarettes. You also have to remember, you will always be an addict so you cant allow those slips. By the looks of you you only have vanity pounds anyway.

I didn't have to quit smoking but I did have to quit eating wheat and boy am I an addict. It's soooo hard that I had to allow sugar back into my life to appease myself. Maybe it was wrong but it worked. Now I've gotten rid of dairy and only take sugar on special occasions. You can win at all things by making small changes
  • forkeeps
    forkeeps Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Trying to change too much at once can be a killer! I quit smoking a year ago (almost exactly) and it was SOOO hard!! I know many would probably disagree with me, but I would recommend keeping the soda in your diet (in moderation) until you are good a quit. Feeling TOTALLY deprived will push you quickly back to the cigarettes because they are the more addictive of the 2. Also, don't be too hard on yourself. Most people have to "quit" several times before it sticks. Just get rid of them again and move forward from here.

I used the Commit Lozenges and they worked really well for me with no wacked out dreams. Feel free to friend me if you want support etc. on the quitting. I know how hard it is.
  • lulu1962
    lulu1962 Posts: 210
    Options
    Totally agree with forkeeps. I've tried to quit smoking many times in the past. I've tried the lozenges, gum, patch - the only thing that worked for me (for 3 months) was the nicotine inhaler - have to get a scrip to get it though. My doctor suggested I drink coffee to kill the craving for smokes. Don't totally deprive yourself of everything you love or you'll end up smoking once again! I'm geared up to try to quit...again!
  • Amy62575
    Amy62575 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I have quit everything else, but smoking. For me, I just am not ready to give up everything completely all at once and the fear of losing my best friend (cigs) is more than I can handle. So, yes it would be best if you gave up soda and crap and cigarettes and alcohol and blah blah blah...the reality is this - only YOU know what you can handle.

I have not mentioned my smoking on mfp until now, mostly because I don't really want anyone's advice and I don't want to hear how bad it is for me and how I should quit asap. I know this. I know what I have to do and when I'm ready I will do it.

I'm sure I'm going to get flack for this post - so be it. From one addict to another - I feel your pain. Good luck in whatever you choose.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I won't give you any flack Amy. You have to get there in your own time. If you don't want to quit, then you shouldn't. You get to that moment one day. I was there not all that long ago. The website I go to for quitting smoking support doesn't preach about how bad it is for you. All they do is give support and understand. Just thought you should know.
  • Denisefitpal66
    Denisefitpal66 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking in Sept. 2010 after smoking nearly 30 years. I gained weight very quickly. From Sept to January, I had gained 20 pounds. In January, I started working out regularly and cutting back on my food intake. I lost a total of 4 pounds from Jan-March. I used to lose weight very easily. I got discouraged and gained 3 pounds back. Yesterday, I tried on my summer shorts......way too tight! I am starting fresh today. I made my food diary public, it was private before. I have to realize that I cannot eat like I did when I smoked. I will never smoke again. It was way too hard to quit and I can only hope I quit in time. I will continue to try to lose the extra 20, but honestly I would rather be a little heavy than drag an oxygen tank around.
  • Cmuchoa
    Cmuchoa Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I used to hate it when ex smokers would lecture or warn me about smoking. Hell, nothings going to happen to me.

Ok - let me put it to you this way - diet and look great and smoke the cigs - or diet and look great and no cigs. I am currently lugging around a 15 lb oxygen tank with a plastic tube stuck up my nostrils, most likely for the rest of my life, and that my dear doesn't look good. Better just stop now and show those cigs that you are stronger than them. They will and believe me, perhaps not now, but they will eventually ruin yr life later.

I too like everyone else tried to quit smoking w/o success, tried pills, patches, hypnosis and nothing worked. I really needed my mouth stapled closed. Finally I tried Chantix and it worked (totally wierd dreams) but then my Dad got sick suddenly & I spent everyday & moment possible from July 5th until August 25th by his side until he died. Believe me, I was smoking the entire time my Dad was ill and smoking more than ever. After he passed away I would smoke the usual at work but at night I would go out on my deck and chain smoke and would talk to my Dad in the heavens. I wasn't feeling well as I was already diagonosed with Emphysema but that didn't matter. Each cigarette, to me, was my time alone with myself to be alone and think. Not that I was thinking about the actual act of smoking, just smoking and thinking. Well this went on and on thru the winter and I would sometimes feel dizzy when walking back into the house, but it didn't matter. Spring came and so did the pollen. On April 14th (my wedding anniversary) I went out after lunch at work and had gone outside for my usual cigarettes but started coughing and choking like a was kid smoking for the very first time. I went back to my desk and literally choked until 5pm and I know this was annoying some people but others were truly concerned. I thought it was just the pollen. Went home driving and choking (not an easy task to do) and suddenly seemed to stop choking for a while which made me think that it was definitely the pollen around my job and there different kinds of trees by my house and I was ok now. So I went out on the deck and lit one up and started to choke. Didn't feel well & called my husband to say I couldn't celebrate our anniversary like we had planned. I went to bed with about 6 pillows to support me bcuz I couldn't lay down from choking. I spent the night like that - texted myself out of work the next morning and my husband insisted that I go to the hospital. Being pig headed I argued and then 3 hrs later said I would go but needed to take a shower first - vanity b4 health. Well, I didn't know that my oxygen level was basically depleted and when I stepped into the nice hot shower I suffocated - or respirtory failure as the paperwork read. The most horrible feeling ever - I grabbed the shower curtain and walls. Lucky for me my husband and daughter were right there bcuz they knew how bad I was (my son stayed in another room) - I literally watched as they faded from my sight. Next thing I know I am in the ER with tubes down my throat, IV's in both arms like I am was pincushion. I spent 14 days in that hospital and 2 months later another 5 days. I have Emphysema and COPD. My lungs are at 49% total capacity. I cannot get better but if I continue all my meds, breathing treatments, inhalers, oxygen 24/7 I may maintain my current status or may not. But let me tell you...Spring - pollen kills me - Summer heat and humidity - not a good mixture for me - Fall - pollen once again - Winter - cold air takes the wind right out of my lungs that actually hurts.

So, please do yourself a huge favor now and get a prescription for a pill, patch or whatever. Just stop and don't be so stupid as I was - I wish I could have suffocated years ago and perhaps I wouldn't be in this situation today. It is not a good place to be. I still miss my Dad every single day - still go to pick up the phone to call him and realize that he's gone. The cigarettes weren't going to bring my Dad back to me. The cigarettes aren't going to take away any sadness I feel. The cigarettes aren't going to make any problems go away. Smokers will smoke bcuz we are happy, sad, nervous, excited - pls just stop bcuz they will hurt you.
  • new_view
    new_view Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Sorry I wasn't able to hop right back on after my posting so I wanted to reply real quick before bed. I know I am not invincible and that it could cause me so much harm in the future and that legit scars me. I am trying as hard as possible and have a doc appt on thurs to try some other things. I hate cigs, they do rule me and my mind. I just want one all the time. Thanks for sharing and helping me realize how bad I could be screwing my life up for those stupid cigarettes. I am sorry you have this story to tell though.
  • GJSaguaro
    GJSaguaro Posts: 19
    Options
    The electronic cigarette is what got me off of tobacco. I couldn't afford chantix or the real nicotine replacement products, so I got a $30 e cigarette kit and some extra liquid nicotine. You have to research which one to buy. The models they sell at the mall are way overpriced and supposedly don't work very well.

I swear I was a cigarette fiend and resigned to the fact that I'd become a middle aged smoker. It was like walking around with a death stamp on my forehead. Well, I still have half a pack of cigarettes from when I got it in the mail. I used it for 50 days exactly and then I just kinda woke up that day and stopped cold turkey. I've been smoke and nicotine free since and that was like 4 months ago.

E cigs get a bad rap in the media for being unhealthy, but if you research any of their alleged downsides you'll see that it's mostly hype.

If you're interested at all there's a great forum with a lot of friendly, helpful people at E-Cigarette-Forum.com. Whatever you do, I wish you luck. Anything is better than smoking yourself into the grave.