Giving Blood

Options
Today on The Doctors they have Dr. Sears giving blood to the Red Cross and talking about our blood types.

My sister is a laboratoray technician at United Blood Services. She's the one testing your blood to make sure it's good, and that all of the donor antibodies are compatible with the person who needs blood! It's an important job keeping blood safe, and I'm very proud of her.

I am too small, so they don't let me donate. I have always wanted to give, though.

Do you give blood or plasma?

It burns a lot of calories replenishing your blood supply, and you can save lives!!

Replies

• Lollyvoddy
    Lollyvoddy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I definitely give blood :) So many people are ruled out for various reasons, I wish more people who could, would. Never thought of it in terms of burning calories, lol.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I give blood when I can......and have for several years. The problem for me is that in our small area towns, the hours don't work well for working people to donate (works for the farmers though -- LOL).

My younger brother's life was saved years ago by the generosity of blood donors, so I know the need. I agree with Hay1978......I wish more people who could, would.

Kaye
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I would, but I've been tattooed & pierced within the past year, and I'm getting another tattoo in a few weeks. So... I guess it'll be April 2012 when I can donate.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    what the size requirement? I can't give blood due to emphysema...I also have a type of haemophillia so that would probably bar me too.

Well done to everyone that does donate tho
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I used to donate, but can't now due to thyroid medication.
  • McBody
    McBody Posts: 1,703 Member
    Options
    I'd love to be a donor, but I lived in England and Germany for long periods of time and am "at risk" for CJD (aka Mad Cow). I would also love to donate a spare kidney I happen to have lying around (I literally have 3, fully functioning kidneys) but again can't donate because I lived in Europe after 1980 and before 1996.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    ^ My boyfriend wanted to give plasma for cash and couldn't due to living in France (mad cow). He still goes on and on about it. Craazy about the third kidney! You must have some really clean blood. ;)
    what the size requirement? I can't give blood due to emphysema...I also have a type of haemophillia so that would probably bar me too.

Well done to everyone that does donate tho
    115 lbs, but they told me last time I tried to give (I was over 115), that they really would rather you be 120.
  • tinboy
    tinboy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    tried to several times, either underweight or tattoo's too recently....(currently undergoing cosmetic tattooing). i think it is an awesome thing to do.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    When I was in college I gave plasma twice a week for several years. Then when I got a job I gave blood. Then they instituted the precautions for CTJ (mad cow) and I'm not eligible any more since I lived in Europe during the wrong times. :grumble: Being from a military family, I know lots of people who fall into this category now. I really hope that they can develop a test so that we'll be eligible again some day.
  • caitlinclock
    caitlinclock Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I have donated blood in 2 different countries.
    I donated in the United States and I donated when I was living in New Zealand! :)

I agree it is very important!!
  • clearly_ninja
    clearly_ninja Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have always been too underweight to give blood although I've always wanted to, and now i'm heavier I can't because of my crohns medication. Its a shame because i'd love to help out.
  • ecreigh2
    ecreigh2 Posts: 14
    Options
    I try to donate as often as possible. I was curious, any one know how many calories you burn donating blood? Or if there have been any studies about it? I bet it also affects how much of your previous, recent food intake is absorbed.
  • SaraTonin
    Options
    Mayo Clinic says about 650 calories.
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    I donate every chance I get. (So pretty much every 8 weeks) I am also part of the donate for life and it makes me happy knowing I can. I am eligible for plasma as well just haven't done that in a long time!
  • ablueskier
    ablueskier Posts: 104
    Options
    650 Calories burNed but keep in mind that is not all in one week, it takes a couple weeks for the body to finish replenishing the blood and it's that action which causes the burn.

I donate several times a year but I have to be careful since I am borderline anemic.
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    I give blood. I didn't know about the calorie requirement to replenish it. Never understood why they always give you a donut and juice after giving blood. I really feel like having a big steak afterwards.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Doesn't the US pay for blood donations? Canada doesn't.... sad

That's NOT why I don't give, I stopped after being lied too and treated horribly my first time at age 17 (and yes I know people dying shouldn’t suffer the result of an a-hole nurse but I’m still immaturely holding a grudge) BUT free money would definitely be a nice motivator.

Get on that train Canada!
  • songofserenity81
    songofserenity81 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I used to donate, to me it was important especially considering I am O Neg,but following a transfusion after the birth of my daughter they will no longer take my blood even though to my knowledge there is nothing wrong with it :cry:
  • SaraTonin
    Options
    ^ Once you've had a blood transfusion you're less likely to be a match for someone else. It's not a matter of blood type, but the number of antibodies you carry and if it matches the donor. The more transfusions you've had the harder it is to find blood that matches you, and very hard to find some that matches someone else.
    Doesn't the US pay for blood donations? Canada doesn't.... sad
    The US doesn't pay for regular blood donations. We sometimes pay for plasma donations, which takes the "liquid" out of your blood and puts back your red blood cells.

As for the donut and juice, they give you those because it spikes your blood sugar quickly so you don't pass out. A steak is great for that iron, but you don't need it as immediately as sugar.
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Wow, it's really remarkable how many willing people are barred from donating blood for one reason or another. Definitely need to keep the blood supply safe but it really is a shame they can't do a definitive test for the folks who were "at risk" for mad cow!

I was really excited to donate blood... but the first and only time I tried, I passed out shortly after they started! When I came to, they had taken the needle out already. I asked if they couldn't have just kept going but they said they weren't allowed (which, really, does make sense, haha).

I thought it was just a weird one-time thing, but I went to have blood taken for testing not too much longer after that (a few months maybe), and passed out during the 2nd or 3rd vial. Apparently I punched the nurse in the eye while I was passing out, too. No recollection of that, and I was horrified to find out!

So... I think my body has a fondness for its blood, and shuts down when someone tries to take it! That, or it could be psychological, but I honestly have no actual fear of needles/blood/whatever. So I don't know what my dealio is!