I quit diet soda.

Options
I reached for a 2L of diet mountain dew in the grocery store. It's on the top shelf, and I'm not all that tall, so I caught a glimpse of the bottom of the bottle.

There's sediment at the bottom, enough to make me take notice. I pulled off a normal (hfcs, didn't check throwback) mt dew bottle, and it lacked sediment.

Kinda un-nerving when the diet variety has sediment, but the sugary variety doesn't have sediment.

I've switched to tea and haven't looked back.

They say to give a diet change two weeks before you pass judgement, and it's only been 5 days. But I feel like my head is clearer.

On the other hand, sediment in a bottle of beer is a good sign the beer has not been filtered through a horse...

Replies

• Fayve
    Fayve Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I unfortunately still drink diet pop, and I regret it every single time I drink some. I seem to lack the strength to not buy it, feeling that it's a nice "treat", but I always feel crummy after I drink it. Le sigh...

The sediment is gross - I've never noticed that /shudder
  • DeniseGdz
    DeniseGdz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    OMG, good for you!! I can't tell you how addicting pop/soda is or can be!!

I'm a die hard Diet Coke drinker, could drink 3 or 4 of them a say like nothing. I quit cold turkey. Splitting headaches and all but I got passed it and so shall you!

Keep up the good work!! It's one step at a time!
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Giving up the soda was one of the hardest things I had to do when I started this program. Before I was a 3-4 per day soda drinker, and now I probably average 1 diet soda every 1.5-2 weeks.

As for why your head feels clearer: Mtn Dew has WAY more caffine than most regular sodas... This lack of stimulants is what you are noticing.

Lastly, I agree 100% that beer should contain sediment. It should also be hard to see though... Yellow & Fizzy = Filtered though a horse... LOL
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I am very proud of you. Diet soda is very bad for you anyway for lots of reasons. All soda has a syrup in it and that syrup will pull the calcium right out of your bones faster than the body can replace it. This is why so many more teanagers are getting broken bones then ever before. Also the aspertaime in Diet soda can cause some serious side affects. You can get migraines or muscle aches from it and some people even thought that they had muscular distraphy until they got off diet soda and the aspertaime. If you can find soda with real sugar it is the healthier choice but still not healthy. The real sugar actually will take care of that craving you are having and you wont drink near as much of it and you wont want it as often. The high fructose corn syrup that is just about all american soda's will taste sweet but the brain does not get that message and you still crave something sweet. You end up eating or drinking more when you use the artificial sweetners just trying to satisfy that craving when if you just had a little bit of real sugar you would be satisfied and could move past it. A huge amount of the time people who drink diet soda will gain weight faster and in general be heavier than those drinking regular soda for this very reason.