Nothing to do w/ diet/exercise

I need to know if I can use any sugar cookie recipe to make cookie ornaments for our Christmas tree.

Replies

• Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    I need to know if I can use any sugar cookie recipe to make cookie ornaments for our Christmas tree.
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    I've never heard of using sugar cookies! Pretty cool. Have you tried tha applesauce & cinnamon ones? The bonus with them is they also smell amazing!
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    I have done the apple cinnamon ones, they are not edible but the do smell yummy. The recipe I have is sort of crumbly and messy do you have a good one arianne?

Eve

I have lots of craft ones but not sugar cookie ones.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member

I make them every year with my kids. We buy the ready made cookie dough mixture. (Sugar cookies) Mix it up. Roll them out a tad thicker from what the box says. Cut out with cookie cutters and also cut out the centers with a smaller cookie cutter. poke a hole where you would put your string Take lifesavers and smash them a bit and put in the center of the cookie and bake as directed. Make sure you use parchment paper under the cookies before baking.
    Make sure not to cook too long. You do not want the candy to bubble.
    When cool, eat or hang.
  • Healthier_Me

I make them every year with my kids. We buy the ready made cookie dough mixture. (Sugar cookies) Mix it up. Roll them out a tad thicker from what the box says. Cut out with cookie cutters and also cut out the centers with a smaller cookie cutter. poke a hole where you would put your string Take lifesavers and smash them a bit and put in the center of the cookie and bake as directed. Make sure you use parchment paper under the cookies before baking.
    When cool, eat or hang.

Thanks icandoit!
    I'm making an "edible" tree this year.
    Sugar cookies instead of ornaments, candycanes, popcorn & cranberry garlands.

I found this recipe to make your own ornaments, something fun for the kids:

1c Salt

1-1/2c Warm water

4c Flour

Preheat oven to 200-degrees.

Mix salt and flour together. Add water slowly and kneed until dough is stiff. Roll dough out to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut desired shapes from dough using cookie cutters or similar objects. Make a hole in the top of each ornament using a pencil, straw, toothpick or similar object.

Bake ornaments for 1-hour in 200-degree oven.
  • ariannedavis
    My mother-in-law's recipes for the cinnamon ornaments is:

Edible: add one 4.12 oz bottle cinnamon to 3/4 applesauce or until you reach consistency. roll & cut. let dry 1-2 days.

Non-edible but non-toxic
    1 C cinnamon
    1tbl allspice & 1tbl nutmeg
    3/4 c unsweetened applesauce (or enough to be really soft dough)
    2tbl white glue
    roll to 1/4 in thickness between 2 layers wax paper
    cut & poke hole with drinking straw
    place on lightly greased sheet & bake 200 deg 30-45 min or until dry (don't need to flip, goes lighter in brown shade)

What about making popcorn balls for bulb ornaments? You should be able to use food coloring on it to add some variety. Just a thought! Best of luck for a beautiful tree... Would you post a pic?
  • Healthier_Me
    My mother-in-law's recipes for the cinnamon ornaments is:

Edible: add one 4.12 oz bottle cinnamon to 3/4 applesauce or until you reach consistency. roll & cut. let dry 1-2 days.

Non-edible but non-toxic
    1 C cinnamon
    1tbl allspice & 1tbl nutmeg
    3/4 c unsweetened applesauce (or enough to be really soft dough)
    2tbl white glue
    roll to 1/4 in thickness between 2 layers wax paper
    cut & poke hole with drinking straw
    place on lightly greased sheet & bake 200 deg 30-45 min or until dry (don't need to flip, goes lighter in brown shade)

What about making popcorn balls for bulb ornaments? You should be able to use food coloring on it to add some variety. Just a thought! Best of luck for a beautiful tree... Would you post a pic?

Oohhh... great idea!!
    Thanks Arianne :bigsmile:
    I will definitely post a picture when it's all done :smile:
  • icandoit

When cool, eat or hang.

Thanks icandoit!
    I'm making an "edible" tree this year.
    Sugar cookies instead of ornaments, candycanes, popcorn & cranberry garlands.

I found this recipe to make your own ornaments, something fun for the kids:

1c Salt

1-1/2c Warm water

4c Flour

Preheat oven to 200-degrees.

Mix salt and flour together. Add water slowly and kneed until dough is stiff. Roll dough out to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut desired shapes from dough using cookie cutters or similar objects. Make a hole in the top of each ornament using a pencil, straw, toothpick or similar object.

Bake ornaments for 1-hour in 200-degree oven.

My mother in law uses this for her kids at the daycare. It is a lot of fun. You guys have a great time making them.
  • Healthier_Me
    Thanks icandoit.
    We'll get started on them tomorrow :happy:
  • Healthier_Me
    Ok, we bought our 7 year old a small tree for her room and used the salt, warm water & flour recipe to make ornaments so... here it is:bigsmile:

http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b183/Furino4/?action=view&current=Alinas2007Tree.jpg
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Ok Healthier I was taking a look through my recipe books for a bake sale and found this. I thought it would be quite fun to do into ornaments like you are doing or just fun for the kids. I am considering making some for my class of kindergartners to take home.

Chocolate Clay

10 oz dark chocolate or milk chocolate or white confectionary coating (sometimes called "Almond Bark")
    1/3 c light corn syrup

Chop confectionary coating and melt according to package directions. Combine melted coating and cornsyrup just until blended. Spread on a sheat of wax paper to 3/8 inch thickness (about an 8 inch square) Let stand, uncovered, at room temperature for 2 to 3 hours until dry to touch, Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature overnight. Can use immediately or store up to 2 weeks. Makes approximately 1 1/4 cups. Mold into shapes or roll into thin ropes and weave into a basket. Great filled with Easter or Valentine candies. This is edible.

Not sure any of us would want to but it won't hurt the kids if they get it on there hands and inevitably put it in there mouth. But it sounded fun.

Eve
  • Healthier_Me
    Oh yay!

Thanks Eve.
    Something else to keep these rugrats busy and I thank you again for that gift:laugh:

~Joanna
  • ariannedavis
    Alina is as adorable as her tree!

One more thing to pass along, I just saw in a magazine a "natural tree" that had twigs with gum drops on them (like roasting marshmallows) tucked into the tree; so adorable and a big pop of colors!
  • Healthier_Me
    I'm so late with a response... sorry!

Thanks Arianne!
    Gum drops sound so cute!
    I'll do that next Christmas... thanks for the idea!

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • icandoit
    Beautiful picture!