Ground turkey vs ground chicken

I have both in the fridge. Until now I've only cooked ground turkey, but see the ground chicken everytime I'm at the store. Which one do you prefer and why? I'm making black bean and ground (blank) tacos for dinner. Hate to mess that up by using the wrong one.

Replies

• niki30
    niki30 Posts: 40
    I always used ground turkey until my husband brought home ground chicken because they were out of turkey. I am a chicken convert! lol! I love the way it cooks. Its not mushy like the ground turkey. It holds its shape, similar to ground beef. and I think It tastes better.
  • Asomething
    Asomething Posts: 62 Member
    I like both but lean toward chicken. I think it's more moist.
  • cmayville
    cmayville Posts: 1 Member
    Agreed, but I read somewhere, that ground chicken is made with the skin as well- which makes it less healthy than the turkey :(
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    I like turkey better. It is lower fat/calories and I just think it tastes better than ground chicken. I think ground chicken meatloaf is gross, but love it with turkey.
  • Jesyka_Gee
    Jesyka_Gee Posts: 27 Member
    Hmm, that's a toughy... As much as I am a chicken lover, I'd have to say ground turkey. Like other posts mention, it's much healthier than the ground chicken. You can always seal flavors in with seasonings :happy:
  • mrsbrown2k1
    mrsbrown2k1 Posts: 139
    Ground Chicken for sure but ONLY if it's the Breast Meat! There is a difference when looking at the nutritional lable. Plus the ground breast meat looks healthier then the standard ground chicken. I think the chicken tastes better then turkey, plus it holds it shape better when making chicken burgers. Unfortunatly I can only find the ground chicken at our specialty grocery stores. I wish our local stores sold it. Give the Chicken a try and see what you prefer.
  • val95kb
    val95kb Posts: 24 Member
    edited March 2017
    This chat is so old, but I found it because I was trying to find why ground chicken is less popular than ground turkey. It just seems that many stores don't carry it today, which I find odd. My family loves ground chicken and I cook with it all the time. I love the flavor and texture and it's not less healthy based on nutrition facts I've read. I even found this: http://www.twofoods.com/compare/query/Z3JvdW5kIHR1cmtleQ==/Z3JvdW5kIGNoaWNrZW4=
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Turkey thigh for me... delicious!
  • anlymc13
    anlymc13 Posts: 114 Member
    My family prefers ground chicken. We grind our own chicken so we know exactly what goes in it! I make a mean chicken breakfast sausage!
  • spoonpuppet
    spoonpuppet Posts: 15 Member
    Turkey is usually more expensive than chicken here, and I'm happy with the chicken :)
  • martinamar
    martinamar Posts: 3 Member
    edited March 2017
    cmayville wrote: »
    Agreed, but I read somewhere, that ground chicken is made with the skin as well- which makes it less healthy than the turkey :(

Have you tried making your own Ground Chicken? Many grocery stores have great sales on Chicken Breast. You using a food processes you can make your own and you know what is in it. If you have a Kitchen Aide Mixer they sell a grinding attachment!
    (This reply was posted prior to reading all of the other replies... :o<3