Elephants, zebras, monkeys, cows, horses....

Options
natalie1
natalie1 Posts: 180 Member
All big animals are vegetarians. Where did you hear about them getting sick from luck of proteins and fats in their diets ??? They all have incredible energy to move around all day.
We are the ones who overweight and depressed about our looks.:explode: :explode:
I am not advocating anything. Personally I have to eat fish or chicken at EVERY meal to survive ( I quit red meat after taking FOOD INTOLERANCE TEST).
I just read about it in the book and it got me thinking.
We are what we eat. We eat dead animals who were treated with hormones and antibiotics; later they were treated with red food coloring.... How could we possibly expect to be healthy if we live on dead fuel?

Replies

• natalie1
    natalie1 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    All big animals are vegetarians. Where did you hear about them getting sick from luck of proteins and fats in their diets ??? They all have incredible energy to move around all day.
    We are the ones who overweight and depressed about our looks.:explode: :explode:
    I am not advocating anything. Personally I have to eat fish or chicken at EVERY meal to survive ( I quit red meat after taking FOOD INTOLERANCE TEST).
    I just read about it in the book and it got me thinking.
    We are what we eat. We eat dead animals who were treated with hormones and antibiotics; later they were treated with red food coloring.... How could we possibly expect to be healthy if we live on dead fuel?
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    those large animals' digestive systems are MUCH different than ours... cows have multiple stomachs to digest all the grass/corn/feed. They can process food in ways we can't. Not much that we put into our bodies is still "alive" when we eat it... at least not in the American culture.

I'm just saying...
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    While I don't disagree with the problems commercialized animal husbandry provide, the argument isn't really on target.

Many large animals are large because evolution has used size as a defense against predators, and in other cases (like giraffes) it's just a specialization derived to help them feed better. In the giraffe's case, the more nutritional leaves are at the top of trees (hence the long necks and tall legs), so the taller ones ate better, lived longer, produced more offspring, and thus propagated their genes better. Same is true with elephants and other large herbivores (different traits, but same concept).

conversely, you could ask why grizzle bears (30 years) and killer whales (50 to 60 years) live so long. They both eat meat, and live long lives. It's not whether you are a herbivore or carnivore that dictates whether you live long, it's how far along the evolutionary process your species is, and how well your genetic makeup has taken to it's given food sources. I'll even go so far as to say this. It's not the ones who specialize in one thing that survive, it's the ones who can adapt to change that do. Also because of the danger of their chosen food source (most of the prey a large carnivore takes down will fight back, sometimes causing injury and death) they have unnaturally (so to speak) shortened average life spans.

All that being said, we should still, as sentient beings, examine our food and try to make healthy choices!
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that if God didn't want us to eat meat, he wouldn't have given us incisors.

Humans eat what is available, from way back. Today it could be wooly mammoth meat, tomorrow nuts and berries.
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    The animals you have listed die because their butts are too slow (due to lack of iron found in red meats I'm sure), and are eaten by the much faster lions, tigers, and bears!

The elephant is highly overweight due to his peanut consumption, can barely move his legs around, let alone out run its much stronger meat-oeuvres. :tongue:

The zebra, although I personally don't eat zebra, are also hunted for their meat. To be honest, stripes are so out, and they should be eaten...Talk about a fashion disaster. :noway:

Monkey's...now this can be a touchy subject here, but for those who believe we evolved. They obviously don't eat meat for personal reasons, hence the VERY true story of Planet of the Apes. Deriving from their law of Ape doesn't eat ape," after years of discrimination against other animals and lawsuits, they changed the laws to be, "Ape doesn't eat animals," thus kindly respecting other animals during their time.

Cows, do you see how their anemic state has caused them to wallow around all day in a field. They want meat, they really really do. They just can't gather the speed due to sedimentary activity and lack of energy to actually make it OVER the fence to get some chicken. Sad, isn't it? :cry:

Horses, I don't know what to say here, other than...Stay clear because any day now, I expect them to turn on us as savage beasts (which I don't blame them) due to the entire "race horse discrimination" situation which has been in the news lately.

In conclusion, these animal also do not have to stand in carpool lines, drive their little beasts to soccer, baseball, cheer leading and gymnastics. They don't have to provide room, water, food, and shelter for their little beasts for at least 18 years of age. No energy is needed for them to keep busy with jobs, caring for a home. They are not expected to pick up the dry cleaning, find the energy for pushing kids through school and college. WOW!!!

And most animals die of being eaten, illness, and lack of food, shelter, and water before they even become old enough to vote.
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Not all large animals are vegetarian. Large cats, sharks, blue whale(largest animal), chimpanzee's as well as other monkeys all consume flesh in varying forms. Just to name a few.
    Killer whales, bears, walruses . . . . .
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options
    I was vegan or vegetarian (only cheese away from vegan) for 20+ years. With the exception of my first pregnancy when I craved steak! This was because my friend Bob the cow ended up on my plate without warning at a critical age in elementary school. Bob had eaten apples from my hand and licked me just few days earlier when I was scratching him behind the ear. I had no idea that Bob was slated for the butcher.

Now I'm nearly vegan in every way but I eat chicken and beef. The beef is custom ordered from a local rancher, no hormones, no antibiotics, range grass fed. It is awesome and I feel really good about it. I am scared of supermarket meat. For Thanksgiving we preorder a turkey to be raised and slaughtered for us.

We also buy organic as much as we can afford. I'm also trying to turn our barren desert lot into a bountiful garden. LOL. Gardening in the desert is not for wimps! I'm learning bit by bit. In the last few months I've planted grapes, raspberries (my dad brought them from Oregon a few weeks ago.) I'm babying them alon, I recently planted plum, nectarine, apple, orange, grapefruit, and tangerine. A friend is bringing a fig tree from Louisiana for me. My vegetable garden so far is less than perfect, but the good weather is coming when it's slightly less hot. (fingers crossed)

Today's workout - shoveling horse manure that some kind man brought us a huge truckload of. (Whoo hoo, happy composting.) Another workout - harvesting graywater from our washing machine. We don't have the perfect system. It is bucket after bucket of water hauled outside onto the fruit trees. LOL (who needs a gym membership.)

My thought is just choose the best you can with what you know and what you can afford. If you eat meat, great, if not great. I know and work with many people who were vegetarians for many years and now selectively eat high quality meats from time to time. It is a very personal choice.
  • PrincessLaundry
    Options
    Not all large animals are vegetarian. Large cats, sharks, blue whale(largest animal), chimpanzee's as well as other monkeys all consume flesh in varying forms. Just to name a few.
    Killer whales, bears, walruses . . . . .

This is so true...

Felines, ranging from domestic cats to lions, tigers, cheetahs and leopards.

Some Canines, such the Gray Wolf and coyote. Domestic dogs and red foxes are broadly considered carnivorous but are able to digest some vegetable matter making them somewhat omnivorous. The Smithsonian Institution has listed them as carnivores, because of their dental makeup and digestive tract.[citation needed].

Hyenas

Some mustelids, including ferrets

Polar Bears

Pinnipeds (seals, sea lions, walruses, etc.)

Dolphins

Whales

Microbats

Carnivorous Marsupials, such as the Tasmanian Devil

Birds of prey, including hawks, eagles, falcons and owls

Scavenger birds, for example vultures

Several species of waterfowl including gulls, penguins, pelicans, storks, and herons

Anurans (frogs and toads)

Snakes

Some lizards, such as the Gila Monster and all monitor lizards.

Crocodilians

Komodo dragon also known as the Komodo Monitor, Komodo Island Monitor

Some turtles, including the snapping turtle and most sea turtles

Sharks

Many bony fish, including tuna, marlin, salmon, and bass

Octopuses

Squid

Cone shells

Spiders, scorpions, and many other arachnids

Mantises

Giant water bugs, and many other insects

Cnidarians

Sea stars
  • jlwhelan1
    Options
    How could we possibly expect to be healthy if we live on dead fuel?

Interesting argument, but I don't buy it. :wink:

I like my food dead. How do you eat it? The plant life is harvested and no longer growing and (with a few exceptions like sprouts) dead. I like my meat cooked, and certainly wouldn't cook an animal alive (no lobster for me.)

I am more concerned over the nutritional value of foods and how they were raised or grown.
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I am all about eating meat. I don't know how I would make it as a vegan. Oddly enough though, when I think about it, it's kinda funny how my eating habits as a child have carried over. For instance, we weren't allowed to eat pork of any kind and only fish that had both scales and fins. I tend to eat more chicken and turkey than anything else without even thinking about it.
  • PrincessLaundry
    Options
    So let me get this straight...

Nobody here wants to see my gater on a stick photo, right??? LOL Ya know us southern-errrrrerrrs. :laugh:
  • jlwhelan1
    Options

Nobody here wants to see my gater on a stick photo, right??? LOL Ya know us southern-errrrrerrrs. :laugh:

Is that like what Fiona and Shrek ate??:tongue:
  • PrincessLaundry
    Options

OMG I haven't seen that movie??? I donno...I actually didn't eat it, but my friends kids did...It was funky and long. I did take a photo in front of the sign though. I was amazed...southerners will fry anything. :laugh:
  • jlwhelan1
    Options

OMG I haven't seen that movie??? I donno...I actually didn't eat it, but my friends kids did...It was funky and long. I did take a photo in front of the sign though. I was amazed...southerners will fry anything. :laugh:

Shrek and Fiona caught a few things and put them on a stick or blew them up or something...to mimic the food you might see at a state fair. It's been too long for me to remember what they ate. But gater on a stick sounds not too far off. LOL. Was it really alligator? Did your kids like it?
  • PrincessLaundry
    Options
    Hokay, here ya go!!! And yes it was real gator! The tiny ones...and deep fried. I was obviously surprised enough that I had to take a photo of the scene of the *crime* LOL

m_30cb5901a95dee614db14fbfb8ca0a2b.jpg
  • jamster
    jamster Posts: 38
    Options
    OMG I love that. And yes it's true, southerners do fry anything and everything! That's why it's so darn hard to go to family reunions and stay on a health conscious diet!! AHH!!
  • jlwhelan1
    Options
    Too funny.
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options

Shrek and Fiona caught a few things and put them on a stick or blew them up or something...to mimic the food you might see at a state fair. It's been too long for me to remember what they ate. But gater on a stick sounds not too far off. LOL. Was it really alligator? Did your kids like it?

Fiona and Shrek ate swamp rats. :laugh: They did look pretty tasty IMO.
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    Options
    63917cartman_on_hippiesJPG.jpg
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I've tried a vegetarian diet in the past. You've got to be very diligent to make sure that you get the proper nutrients. It was just too much work and beside that, I really crave a good steak every now and then.

I know of quite a few fat vegetarians who live off sugar and refined carbs. I also know quite a few who are seriously underweight and lacking in energy. So, being a vegetarian does not automatically make you healthy.

But, my real reason for posting on this subject.....

Princess, you crack me up!