Packaged VS Prepared- Nutrition Info.

Options
Hope this makes sense. I have a question about reading nutritional value, as packaged vs prepared. For example, tonight I'm going to make Rice Roni Chicken and Broccoli. The as packaged is around 190 (if I remember correctly) calories per cup and prepared is 220 calories per cup. The only added ingredients are water and margarine. If I make the rice, but skip the margarine and use Pam, can I go with the as packaged calories?

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Correct, if you aren't adding any calories then you would use the "packaged" info.
    And sorry, but I can't help myself - you would get SO much more nutrition from real rice, broccoli and chicken. I have an easy one pot recipe if you'd like it :)
  • jssw2000
    jssw2000 Posts: 15
    Options
    Would love to hear the one pot rice recipe.... always looking for different foods
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Would love to hear the one pot rice recipe.... always looking for different foods

It's easy :) and you can change it around to use what you have/like:

In a non stick pan, cook a diced onion and some crushed garlic, add your meat (turkey or beef mince or diced chicken thighs) and brown.
    Stir in 1 -2 cups of uncooked rice and a tspn of ground cummin, cover with stock (low salt) and a splash of white wine if you have it. Cook with the lid on until rice absorbs the stock and is cooked. You can add some water if the rice isn't cooked. Stir about every 5 mins. When rice is nearly cooked toss some veges on top (broccoli, cauli, capsicum) and let them cook.
    If you have some fresh herbs like parsley, coriander or oregano, stir them in before you serve it.
    Great with chilli sauce.

Last time I made this with turkey mince and cauliflower it was about 270 cals a serving. Then I used the leftovers the next night - stuffed into capsicums with a bit of fetta crumbled on top and baked.
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Are capsicums peppers?