self-talk

Options
I struggle so hard with negative self-talk telling myself I won't be able to do it.. which is weird because i lost the weight a year ago and it only took me 2 1/2 months. When the results dont come soon enough, i think what is the point? and then blow it. How does anyone else deal with negative self-talk. I was thinking maybe journaling every night about my progress for the day and what worked and how I felt. Any suggestions??

Replies

• ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Wish I knew the answer. I just try to remember when those negative thoughts creep in....Would i say this to my friends or family? Why would I say it to myself? In the heat of the moment it doesn't always work, but over the course of time thinking that way has helped. Be kind to yourself and believe in you, the way you'd believe in a friend.
  • bebebrats
    bebebrats Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I go through that same phase too! I think anyone who wants to lose weight does. I, on the otherhand, tend to negative self-talk myself into actually exercising or picking the healthy over the not so healthy. I dont know why, but when im on my way home from work and the laaaaast thing i want to do is work out, i end up internally yelling at myself. In a weird way it motivates me because i know the end result I want, and sitting on my butt wont work:) Its hard to lose weight, but you just have to remember that you didnt gain it all in a matter of months so its not gonna take a few months to lose it all either:)
  • coderchris
    coderchris Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I struggle with stinkin thinkin too. I have a friend that is doing this with me. The great part is she lives in a different state. When I begin to feel overwhelmed I just take it one day at a time and if that is too much then I take one hour at a time. I continually remind myself this is about getting healthy and living in a healthy way. You are not really blowing it you are just swerving off of the road once in awhile. Just get back on track and keep going. You can do it.
  • AngelaH10
    AngelaH10 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Journal, journal, journal it girl!! It def helps! If you're craving something bad or feeling down/need a boost, just start writing down everything you're feeling.. I started doing this last year and it def helps!! Plus, it's nice to look back and see your progress. I have a ton of weight I'd like to use and I struggle with yo-yo dieting but I finally put my foot down for the last time and I'm doing it.. I want to be healthy and happy with myself. My husband is deploying this summer and we have a 2 1/2 year old daughter - they are my biggest inspirations!! You can do it girly!! :o)
  • SGartz
    SGartz Posts: 57
    Options
    It's a marathon not a sprint. Give yourself a mind slap!
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I think we all struggle with that dumb negative voice in our head. I do the same thing, don't see results fast enough and totally blow it. Or I neglect to eat properly on my weekends (which makes me GAIN and that is just awesome, LOL).

I try to literally talk out loud to myself when I'm on my way to work or when i'm getting ready for the day and come up wtih my "game plan" for the week/month/year. Whatever. Than I note my goal on my calendar and make a concerted effort to do whatever it is and stick with it. :)

I think journaling is a great idea (in addition to your food journal of course). Try to catch yourself talking negative to yourself and tell yourself 5 "things" that are positive.

When I catch myself talking negatively to myself I tell myself "Ugh, stop it already. Nobody likes Negative Nelly, now kick rocks". LOL
  • Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I think about how much God loves me...ME!! The bible says he sings a song over me, wow, that's overwhelming to me. When I remember that I can't help but smile :happy: ! That's what keeps me knowing who I really am!
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Honestly- I believe that 90 percent of weight loss is our brains- that sabotage us! Read a lot of books, journal. We don't gain weight overnight- you won't lose it overnight- get the diet mentality- all or nothing thinking out of your head- it will do nothing to help. Talk to yourself as would a best friend, not your worst enemy! :)
  • kristen3112
    Options
    Like everyone has said I think this all happens. One thing I like to do is have old pictures of what I use to look like from the past. It motivates me to want to work out more. Also taking a picture of yourself and putting it up will make you want to work out even more since its right there in your face.
  • GypsyWagon
    GypsyWagon Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I try to remember that my husband, daughter and friends are smart, picky people...and they love me. I'm worthy of their love and I have to love myself, too. I've told myself that so many times that it's gotten to the point where I'll start thinking something negative about myself and I'll blurt out, "I love you!" Fortunately, my mind usually wanders when I'm chipping away at some mindless chore at home or when I'm driving...cause, my husband or daughter will overhear me thinking I'm talking to them and reply, "I love you, too!" I would hate for that to happen standing alone behind a stranger in line at Target, LOL. There are smart people in your life that love you, too. It doesn't make sense to disagree with them :wink: