Runners: does the first few min. of running get easier?

Options
I've been working on the C25K program for a couple of months and am loving it. But, it just dawned on me as I was running today that the first 3 minutes are always the toughest for me. It's like clockwork - after the first 3 min. I stop the self talk that is saying "why am I doing this", "this is a pain in the butt", - and LOVE the run! Is this just me? Do those first few min. ever get easier???

Replies

• __flexylexi
    __flexylexi Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. Except for me its the first 2 miles. After those two miles are done, the long run is a breeze
  • starboardzor
    Options
    I think for me it actually takes longer to get to that feeling as time goes by. But I always get it and I've been running for around 7 years. For a 40 minute run for me, it will probably hit around mile 1 and once I get past that I'm golden.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. Yes, it gets easier to make it through them. No, they never feel fantastic to me. Even when I was running 25 miles a week, the first 10 minutes were the worst. After that, I'd be in the groove and enjoying the run.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Add me to the first two miles camp - never did get easier.
  • mommacool
    mommacool Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way when I get on the elliptical, which is what I always do first at the gym. During the first 2-3 minutes I question why I am doing it. Then it gets easier. I have been wondering the same thing. My legs feel so tired and unwilling to move.
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way.. after the first 2 minutes suck, but after that I'm good to go.
  • mrandolph112
    Options
    I have been running for 2 months now and feel the same way! My legs just don't want to move like they should when I first get going. I even do warm up exercises and walk to try and help get my muscles warm but doesn't help much. I just push myself through it and I am now running farther and faster then I ever have in my life.
  • phitme
    phitme Posts: 124
    Options
    I'm more like the first 10-15 minutes but after that my body seems to warm up fully & it gets easier although it is never EASY.
  • debbiepa
    debbiepa Posts: 45
    Options
    I usually feel that way the first mile. My body starts out screaming "What are you doing?" and then after a few minutes, it says "Hey, I get want you want me to do. I can handle this." Completely normal. Good job on the running!
  • maserati185
    maserati185 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I just recently picked up running again but yeah, I've noticed that even just 1/4 mile in I'm saying to myself "Oh God, I can't do this..." "Why bother" "Those people see that I suck" and just giving myself some hate talk... and sure enough, it seems like the times that I'm saying that to myself the most, that's when I have the best run when those endorphines kick in. :)
  • snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    Mines about the first 1/2 mile or 10 minutes depending on the running adventure I'm on. If I'm at the gym I def find something to distract me from what I'm doing or super fast pumping music. Pandora is great for finding "house" music.
  • mayasmom
    mayasmom Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am SO glad that you asked this question!

I've only attempted jogging in the past 12 weeks. I started out not being able to jog one lap (11 = a mile at my gym). I have increased my endurance to 6 laps before a walk break but the first two ALWAYS suck. Funny thing is that our trainer likes to have us do intervals of strength training between a typical 2 lap jog. Which means....of course...that I get to keep doing those first two laps over and over and over. They suck every single time! :-)

I'm hoping that goes away!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Same here. The first 3 minutes is the hardest. It's easier during a race, because I'm passing people for the first few minutes and that's always fun, even if they end up passing me in the next few minutes. :smile:
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I've been running about 4.5 years now and the first mile is still the hardest for me!