IRON

I tried to donate blood last week and my iron level was really low. Has anyone else discovered this after starting to eat less? I am trying to eat a mini box of raisins everyday. The nurse told me that there is something in tea that is not letting me absorb iron. This is frusterating.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,301 Member
    Instead of raisins which are full of sugar, try these (from http://pediatrics.about.com/od/nutrition/a/06_iron_foods.htm)

Foods that are a good source of iron include:
    •liver
    •lean red meats, including beef, pork, lamb
    •seafood, such as oysters, clams, tuna, salmon, and shrimp, etc.
    •beans, including kidney, lima, navy, black, pinto, soy beans, and lentils
    •iron fortified whole grains, including cereals, breads, rice, and pasta
    •greens, including collard greens, kale, mustard greens, spinach, and turnip greens
    •tofu
    •vegetables, including broccoli, swiss chard, asparagus, parsley, watercress, brussel sprouts
    •chicken and turkey
    •blackstrap molasses
    •nuts
    •egg yolks
    •dried fruits, such as raisins, prunes, dates and apricots
  • GFab
    GFab Posts: 75
    You need Vitamin C when you eat iron, it helps your body to absorb it.
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    bump...
  • dancinblonde0099
    dancinblonde0099 Posts: 118 Member
    I'm taking Vitamin C tablets also. I heard about that too. Thank you for the list of foods!
  • I've tried donating blood at least 5 times and they also told me my iron was too low each time. I take a multi-vitamin now but not sure if it's helping or not.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,301 Member
    Thank you for the list of foods!

You're welcome, I was anemic for a while - poor diet will do that to you. I take supplements when on a calorie restricted diet.

You'll be amazed how much better you'll feel when balanced. Take care.
  • amarie35
    amarie35 Posts: 333 Member
    BUMP!!!
  • deathtaco
    deathtaco Posts: 237
    Raisins and dried fruits are nothing but sugar.

But I digress; just have some steak. Thankfully as a male I don't generally have iron issues...but don't be afraid of red meat.
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    I also had that problem, I have tried so many times to give blood.

I am currently on a new BC pill that has iron supplements in the pill during TOM, which is when women loose all their iron. I haven't tried to give blood since I have been on this pill, but I think it really helping me.