OLEAN

Options
My bf and I recently gave up all fast food places except Subway. We always get Lay's "Light" Potato Chips which has less than 100 calories and little to no fat, but it contains Olean which was a major problem in the 90's. Is it any healthier now or should we just give up chips altogether?

Replies

• funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I think having a single serving of fat-free potato chips made with Olean is fine. Some say it gives them diarrhea or stomach cramps... And, I'd be willing to bet that they ate more than just a 75 calorie serving (since you can a full-size potato chip bag at the grocery store with 10+ servings). I haven't had any problems with Olean though. I love light lays and ruffles. :D
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't know about the OLEAN.. I can say that chips are not the best fuel you can give your body. I undestand the need to make compromises though... If it doesn't feel like your giving up too much, I would give up the chips and munch an apple instead.
  • AFWinter
    AFWinter Posts: 13
    Options
    Having a one serving at a time of chips containing Olean won't hurt you. It works in a simmilar fashion as Alli does in that it blocks absorption of fats into the body. However since the fat isn't going into your body it goes into your large intestine some of it gets eaten by bacteria which can cause excess gas. The rest gets out when you go to the bathroom, but can cause diarrhea. That was the problem in the 90's, people just assumed that they could eat as much of the potato chips as they wanted, and be all the better for it since it was "fat free." Since they ate so much of it, they got diarrhea. Something else to think about to keep you from eating to much: it can block the absorption of fat soluble vitamins into your body, but like funkyspunky said, if you limit your intake of it, you'll be fine. I eat them on occasion at sub way knowing all this, and I'm fine.