Options
    dp
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    dp
  • megganwinland
    Options
    Calories are hateful and mean. You can eat back not eat back. eat to much or eat to little. I think eating a few more calories here and a little under there is ok. Personally I do not eat back my exercise calories. And that is because I can't eat after I go to the gym it makes me sick. In my opinion if a person has MFP and is logging occasionally exercising, then they should get a "good job" regardless of what their diary says. The important thing is that they want to be healthier for them and all they want is support. If you think they are eating to little TELL THEM! Don't vent about it in a thread. Take action because after all they are your friends right?
  • naku
    naku Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    i love everyone saying no to eating back calories has lost around 3lbs, and the people eating some of 'em back are in the -20lb range. jusssst an observation.

...never ever eaten my exercise calories back, stayed under my calorie limit for 90% days and have lost almost 20lb in 3 months. us, who are trying to lose inside normal weight just need to work a lot more harder for smaller amounts of weight.

what annoys me most on this whole site and at the community is the generalisation of everything. somehow, at some point it seems that these "rules" that came from Somewhere (like 1200 calories net for every single person, eating exercise calories, going into "starvation" mode almost immediately when these dont happen etc etc) became the ultimate truths.

people are different, goals are different, diaries are different...
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    Sorry if my post sounded like I was pissed off, I wasn't at all offended, and the OP does raise a good theory.
    Just trying to point out that in some cases, being 500-750 calories "under goal" every day isn't as bad as it looks at first glance.
  • Wightvixen
    Wightvixen Posts: 117
    Options
    I may congratulate people on a nice workout, but I never comment on people's food diaries.

Firstly, I don't feel qualified to approve or disapprove of what someone has eaten - I don't know their personal circumstances, whether their diet is a vast improvement on what they were eating pre-MFP, or whether they're slipping back into bad habits from a healthier diet. I don't know whether people are playing around with their calorie allowances to try to break a plateau, or may be more concerned with nutrient amounts than calories. Especially, for friends not in the UK, I don't recognize many of the products and don't know whether they're good, bad, or indifferent.

Secondly, if I was to trawl through all my friends' food diaries every day, I'd spend even MORE time sat on my bum in front of the computer than I do now, and I spend way too much already :-P

I think it's often the case that people put a "well done" or a "good job" just to be seen to be paying attention and being friendly. I think this is unnecessary. I avoid giving my friends the 'need' to do this by not hitting the 'complete' button on my diary each day. I don't need to see what MFP thinks my weight will be in 5 weeks time, especially as I'm on maintenance, and I don't need to be congratulated for clicking on that button - which is what it amounts to. I only wish I could stop my exercise coming up in the news feed too!

I may end up logging my food and exercise on MFP for months or years to come to better maintain my nice new slim figure - I don't want or need to be patted on the back for it every single day......
  • nickyevans
    nickyevans Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    i love everyone saying no to eating back calories has lost around 3lbs, and the people eating some of 'em back are in the -20lb range. jusssst an observation.

I dont eat mine back the majority of the time and I am -20lb, my husband does not eat back his he is in the -20lbs. What works for some does not work for others.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Really, it's the OPs right to decide who they do or don't comment on. Quit taking it as a personal attack people. Jeebus.

True, but then, why post about it so extensively.
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    It's amazing to me how many people on here just don't understand how MFP works. You are supposed to eat back your exercise calories. You already have a calorie deficit built into your goals here before you exercise. When you add exercise, you make that deficit larger. Too large. That makes your net calories too low. If your net calories are consistently too low for an extended period of time, your body will slow your metabolism and your weight loss will slow down. In addition, you will start to lose more lean muscle than fat.

This is a simple concept. Maintain that 500 or 750 or 1000 calorie deficit that is in your goals. Don't make it larger by not eating your exercise calories unless you want to negatively affect your loss.
  • foleykm22
    foleykm22 Posts: 32
    Options
    I'm hoping you are right! The more I can eat, the happier I will be! :) I've lost so much weight in the past so fast by not eating.....I call it my "bridesmaid binge diet" AND it ALWAYS comes back on. Duh. Its not hard to figure out. (and Ive probably messed up my metabolism in the meantime) This time, I'm not looking for a way to lose weight quick, just looking for balance that is going to last my whole life. (and Im looking for a six pack by the summer) haha. If I work my butt off at the gym > then I can have that piece of pizza I want on Friday night. I also want to be a strong athlete and food is the fuel that is going to get me there. I just have to make smarter choices when eating(not eat less of the bad things Im already eating). I have to ween myself off of my daily wine and cheese or I'll never get these last 10 lbs off! :) Thanks for the advice Celo!!!
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    It's amazing to me how many people on here just don't understand how MFP works. You are supposed to eat back your exercise calories. You already have a calorie deficit built into your goals here before you exercise. When you add exercise, you make that deficit larger. Too large. That makes your net calories too low. If your net calories are consistently too low for an extended period of time, your body will slow your metabolism and your weight loss will slow down. In addition, you will start to lose more lean muscle than fat.

This is a simple concept. Maintain that 500 or 750 or 1000 calorie deficit that is in your goals. Don't make it larger by not eating your exercise calories unless you want to negatively affect your loss.

Excellent summary. It's not about whether it "works for you" or not. "If your net calories are *consistently* too low for an extended period of time, your body will slow your metabolism and your weight loss will slow down. In addition, you will start to lose more lean muscle than fat." This is the important reason to eat back your exercise calories. The deficit to lose is already built into your goal. You can and WILL lose weight by undereating. It will "work for you" if your only goal is to lose weight quickly...for a while. But, in the long run, it's unhealthy, wreaks havoc with your metabolism (especially as you get older!!) and makes you lose more lean muscle tissue than fat (your heart is a muscle too!). This is why I agree with the OP to not celebrate undereating. Our main goal here should be to get healthy...losing weight is a bonus!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options

EXACTLY!!!! I eat mine & I have lost 14 lbs! (5'6", SW 160, CW: 146) since Jan 3rd.

I dont eat back mine and ive lost 50 :tongue:

I eat back mine and I've lost 79. :tongue: (Not trying to start a pissing contest, I just thought it was funny that the numbers went up with each do/don't eat the calores statement.) :laugh:

well all you have to do is look at my pictures and you can see that ive lost 50 pounds.i changed my numbers to show how much weight ive lost counting calories not how much ive lost since joining mfp.
    but if you want to get specific ive lost 20 since joining this site
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options

I've seen that too, as well as the fact that they don't have a lot to lose
  • staceylaines
    Options
    I found this post and all the responses interesting. Yes, I still have more than 100 pounds to lose, but I've belonged to various weight loss groups for more than a decade and have taken nutrition courses.

I think the most important thing, whether or not you are going to show support for someone, is to realize we're all different. And for those of us trying to lose, we need to understand where we came from and what it will take for our own bodies.

At my heaviest, I was maintaining 280 by taking in 3500-4000 calories a day. I've always been muscular and have always worked out. The fact that I could eat that much and maintain (whether or not I worked out) shocks some people, but that's my body. So when I found MFP, thanks to my new trainer, I realized why all those other programs didn't work for me. Going from 4000 calories a day to 1500 is unrealistic for me. But when I add my exercise (600-900 calories) to my base of 1550 (aiming for a 2 lb/week loss), it seems so much more doable. Even taking in 2500 calories a day now results in a loss for me because I was maintaining at 3500-4000 before.

So, I think that we all need to realize the differences in our bodies, and we all need to be supportive only when we know what the other person is going through. I have a friend on thyroid medication who finds it very hard to lose weight eating 1500 calories a day. I'm supportive of her regardless of her eating 1300 or 1700 because I know her struggles. So I guess what I'm saying is that maybe instead of throwing out a blanket of support for people you don't really know, you focus, instead, on supporting those you DO know.

Food for thought, that's all. :-)
  • mielikkibz
    Options
    I agree with you (you know I struggled with eating ALL my calories) and I have been seeing quite a few people that are dangerously under their net and they have burned something like 500 calories from exercise. I think we should all be aware that there are some people on this site that should be seeking professional help for eating disorders as well. Thanks for the reminder.

yep, eating way under your calories and not eating enough will lead to ED. .
    yes, there are some days my HRM says I burnt a lot of calories and I don't eat them all back, or even close. . other than eating a bucket or three of icecream, there's just no way to do so. But I try and hit my goal, which is between 1100-1200(I used another website i was given to find the calories I could live on for now), sometimes I'm above that amt, sometimes right there between.
  • mielikkibz
    Options
    I hope all my friends are just being honest with me. If you are happy at what I did..say it. If you aren't...say it!! That takes care of all the confusion right there. If I'm doing something bad for my body and you know it please don't blow smoke up my *kitten* with a "WTG" or a "good job" if that's not how ya feel. I promise to be as real and honest as I can. I might piss some off but I love ya all and that's the way it has to be.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Many people have NO CLUE that they're not doing their body any good.
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I hope all my friends are just being honest with me. If you are happy at what I did..say it. If you aren't...say it!! That takes care of all the confusion right there. If I'm doing something bad for my body and you know it please don't blow smoke up my *kitten* with a "WTG" or a "good job" if that's not how ya feel. I promise to be as real and honest as I can. I might piss some off but I love ya all and that's the way it has to be.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Many people have NO CLUE that they're not doing their body any good.

And THAT is what I was trying to get at with the original post!! Jeez...I stirred up a hornet's nest. Oh well...a little healthy debate never hurt anyone! :wink:
  • Stewie316
    Options

What amazes me is all of the generalizations. I'm sure most people on this site knows how this site works. Just because they don't eat their exercise calories doesn't mean they don't understand that their deficit is already built in. Some people may already have a small deficit to begin with. Everyone isn't set at a goal to lose 2 pounds a week. Myself for example, this site will only allow me a deficit of 250 calories a day or a half pound a week because it won't allow for less than 1200 calories. I don't need 1200 calories since I'm so small. I don't eat my exercise calories because I would like to lose more than a half pound a week. I'm not starving myself and I know what my body can and cant handle. 1200 calories is a generalization that may fit for some, but not for all.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    And of course the assumption is that your goal is to loose weight - which lets face it IS the majority case - but for some it will be to gain or maintain weight.
  • Stewie316
    Options
    For the people who like to throw around the comment of if you eat too little your metabolism will slow down. With any diet your metabolism is going to adjust or slow, whether you're eating 1600 or 1000 calories. The wonderful thing about the human body is that it can also go back up. The reason a lot of people gain back weight once they get to the point of maintenance is because they immediately jump from eating 1200 calories to 2000. You have to gradually increase your calorie intake and your metabolism will increase.