C25K & running outside/shin splints

Options
jami54
jami54 Posts: 12 Member
So I have been going through the C25K program and am on W5D3....running 20 minutes.....that intimidated me alot and I was not able to complete it, it felt like such a huge step for me....also I ran outside today because it is finally nice enough weather to do so, and my shins hurt so bad!! Is there anyway to enjoy running outside without getting shin splints or is it just something you have to work through? So Im not sure if I couldn't finish my 20 minutes because it was intimidating me or if it was because my shins hurt so bad or a combination. I really want to be able to run outside because, any advice??

Replies

• lynne_p
    lynne_p Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of things to look at here. Have you been fitted with a pair of proper running shoes? What type of surface are you running on? Are you doing some stretching before you start out?
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    You will get a wide variety of answers to this one :)

However all I have to say is shoes. Shoes, shoes, shoes ...

I can't emphasize enough going to a running shop and getting properly fit for the shoes that you need ... it makes the world of difference ... and although some other things may cause splints, the wrong shoes (especially running on pavement) "WILL" give you splints ...
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    My shins hurt when I first started because I did not have proper running shoes. Once I got fitted for some, the pain went away and no problems since.
  • HisPathDaily
    Options
    Oh ... and AWESOME job on taking the step forward with the C25K program ... great program ... you'll soon find that the barriers to the next week aren't physical, they become mostly, and eventually totally mental :) ... Keep the motivation up; awesome.
  • MommaToFour
    MommaToFour Posts: 106
    Options
    I have only gotten shin splints when my shoes have expired in miles!!! I replace them with new ones...and WhaLa no more shin splints! :)
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    OMG, shin splints suck soooo bad!!! I just finished D2W4 (barely), and my shins are killing me! I haven't even run outside yet! Please let me know if anyone's suggestions help you!

I did the new shoes thing, and I also do the "write the alphabet with your toes" thing, and it kind of helps, but obviously did not "cure" it.
  • sweetbri07
    sweetbri07 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    ICE ICE ICE YOUR SHINS!!! When you get shin splits, basically that front muscle (tibialis anterior) tears away from your bone. You need to give it time to heal, otherwise it'll keep tearing away.
  • jami54
    jami54 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do have good running shoes, and I am running on pavement, but that is the only option for me if I want to run outside...
  • HisPathDaily
    Options
    I do have good running shoes, and I am running on pavement, but that is the only option for me if I want to run outside...

Pavement is fine - it's my only option too :)

But did you get fit for the shoes? ... as far as the shoes, you can spend a ton of money on running shoes, but if not properly fit you'll have issues. My nephew (who runs XC and in general a lot) dumped a ton of money into some new running shoes ... great shoes, but not great for him. Issues like crazy ... got fitted and got a new pair of shoes, no issues.

I just hate to see anyone give up on running (cuz it's like totally awesome *grin*) :) just because of issues that 'could' be corrected ... so perhaps if you didn't get fit you could maybe bring them in to a shop and have them fit and look at what you bought and tell you if it's good for you or not?

Just a thought?
  • HisPathDaily
    Options
    And when I say fit it's more than shoe size ... running shoes and their supports will do a lot of correction so that you're balanced properly so it's more than just what size shoe ...

I wear Nike Zoom Triax +13's to correct some issues I never knew I had ... I love those shoes ... but my wife would have major issues if she tried to run with them as she doesn't have the same pronation I have.