calories in and calories out

Options
Hi: I have some ideas for being successful. I think that anyone that is worried about the number of cals they eat should gradually reduce them instead of going cold turkey. I know that is what will work for me. I put a cap off 1,800. I have been hitting around 1500 and I think it is because I let myself have a little wiggle room when I eat out or just need a break.

We are in this for the long run. If you can't stay on 1,200 without feeling deprived why do it? Do what you know you can stick with until you meet your goal. Just my suggestion from years of dieting.

I also think water is the key to any successful diet. I should talk. I struggle with this one.:cry:

Hope this helps someone. I would love some feedback.

Sherrill

Replies

• sherrillbj
    Options
    Hi: I have some ideas for being successful. I think that anyone that is worried about the number of cals they eat should gradually reduce them instead of going cold turkey. I know that is what will work for me. I put a cap off 1,800. I have been hitting around 1500 and I think it is because I let myself have a little wiggle room when I eat out or just need a break.

We are in this for the long run. If you can't stay on 1,200 without feeling deprived why do it? Do what you know you can stick with until you meet your goal. Just my suggestion from years of dieting.

I also think water is the key to any successful diet. I should talk. I struggle with this one.:cry:

Hope this helps someone. I would love some feedback.

Sherrill
  • serenity1272
    Options
    Hi Sherrill,
    I agree with you...I think that everyone needs to eat what they need to eat so that they don't lose muscle weight, and that if your shy of your "goal" of calories for the day that is ok...
    Just keep chuggin the aqua...I will sometimes put the Crystal Light On The Go Immunity in my water. My favorite is the Cherry Pomegranate....then regular water with lemon and I will switch it around so that I can make sure that I am getting at least 10-12 glasses a day....it is also very easy for me to drink a lot of water just after I work out so that helps!
    Have a blessed day!! :flowerforyou:
    Julie
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I am definitely in for the long haul, I have lost 25 lbs as of today and I have what seems at times like an overwhelming additional 70 to go.

I take baby steps with all of it, it makes it not seem so drastic! Just glad to find out Im not the only one with that idea in mind!
  • sherrillbj
    Options
    Hi: I finally lost 3 pounds. I know it was a combination of water and exercise. The exercise helps so much. I feel better. Drinking water keeps the body hydrated so I don't have all that water weight.

Feeling pretty happy today and more motivated!!

Sherrill:::smile:
  • sherrillbj
    Options
    Hi Julie: Thanks for the thumbs up!! I wish some of these gals would understand that they can't be so rigid. It will backfire on them. I know. I've been there, done that. It is just too stressful.

Sherrill:smile:
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I have been doing a pretty good job sticking to my 1200 calories Monday through Friday but I have a hard time on the weekends. There are too many temptations with other people cooking, going out to dinner, Christmas parties, etc. I figure that my "cheating" weekends are okay as long as I'm making sure to try hard to eat the healthier things and limit my portions...especially with the not so good for me things.
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I agree with you about the fudge (or any favorite food!)! I say that if we all can get through December, we're totally SET for the other 11 months of the year! We're all going to make it! :)
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I wish I had thought to go that route. I was so pumped about this site, I dropped to the 1200 and stayed there. I think that may be part of my plateau now. I can't go much lower and still maintian a healthy metabolism, but haven't lost anything in about 2 weeks; actually gained a few from muscle. I think that if I had gradually decreased, I would still be loosing. Now I am doubling my exercise.:smooched: (my 19 month old picked out the smily!)
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    You may need to add a few calories in order for your body to budge weight wise, too few calories can send the wrong message to your body and send it into starvation mode, try adding a 100 calorie snack once a day.
  • oldandbroke
    Options
    Hi there! I have been doing a pretty good job sticking to my 1200 calories Monday through Friday but I have a hard time on the weekends. There are too many temptations with other people cooking, going out to dinner, Christmas parties, etc. I figure that my "cheating" weekends are okay as long as I'm making sure to try hard to eat the healthier things and limit my portions...especially with the not so good for me things.

One way to compensate for those weekends is a ONE DAY ONLY crash diet. You could even fast for a day. If you do it only for one day your metabolism will not respond by going to the starvation thing. You just have to eat normally again for three or for days afterward.