MFP Runner's Club - 8/4

Options
MargieM
MargieM Posts: 2,248 Member
Am I really the first one? Wake up people and lets go!

I did 2.2 miles last night. Took me 35 minutes, but I did it! My first 5K is 6 1/2 weeks, so I gotta get up to speed. Going to try and do it again tonight. Have a great day everyone! - Margie

Replies

• MargieM
    Options
    Am I really the first one? Wake up people and lets go!

I did 2.2 miles last night. Took me 35 minutes, but I did it! My first 5K is 6 1/2 weeks, so I gotta get up to speed. Going to try and do it again tonight. Have a great day everyone! - Margie
  • areay
    areay Posts: 463
    Options
    I have an hour run tonight! Probably inside because it's suppose to be 110! Yikes! At 10:00 last night it was still 91
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Had bootcamp this morning and we did some sprinting/running drills. I think our bootcamp running group is running tomorrow though.

Hope everyone has a great run.
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Double post. Sorry
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Morning Runner's! :heart:

Rest day for me, enjoy your runs! :flowerforyou:
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Good morning:flowerforyou:

Rest day for me!

Make it a great day
    :heart: -Kechie.
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Today was a strength and s t r e t c h day for me! Really needed it! Happy trails!

:happy:
  • Aprilxlirpa
    Aprilxlirpa Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I have a question? I've noticed the ball of my feet are starting to get sore. I think that means its time for a new pair of shoes? Yes, No?
    Any recommendation on brands? Do any of you use inserts?
    Thanks!
    -April
  • mlillie
    mlillie Posts: 302
    Options
    So thanks to you guys I did it even with a big belly of nuts. : (

I ran 5.5 miles on Friday. I was so proud of myself I could almost have cried. I felt like I could have kpet going but I started to feel it a bit in my knee so I decided to stop for the day.

I have NEVER ran 5 miles in my life and now I can say I have run over 5 miles. Keeping my pace reasonable was really helpful for me. Thanks for all the tips and advice. Self talk was really helpful for me and I went from "Melissa, you can do this. I know you can." to "Melissa you are a badass!"

Again, thank you guys. I am looking forward to see what happens from here- 6 miles here I come!

Have a great Monday.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I have a question? I've noticed the ball of my feet are starting to get sore. I think that means its time for a new pair of shoes? Yes, No?
    Thanks!
    -April

Yes, definately sounds like it's time for new shoes.

I just got a new pair of Nike's. So far....unimpressed. :grumble: Go to a running store & have them check your gait & foot arch. They should be able to recommend a good pair for you.

I should have gotten another pair of New Balance. :grumble: Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I like New Balance too. They just fit my feet right, but I guess it's different for different people.

Today is a cross training day for me. Another weight workout and 3 miles on the elliptical.

Good luck on your runs everybody.:flowerforyou:
  • mlillie
    mlillie Posts: 302
    Options
    I really love my Brooks so they are a good one to try out as well!
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Morning Runners!

I am scheduled for 5 tonight with my group. I am bringing my friend with me so I am excited.

Mom is going home today so now I can get my life back to normal.

Margie - aren't you doing the Couch to 5K?

Have a great day all!!
  • pmkelly409
    Options
    So thanks to you guys I did it even with a big belly of nuts. : (

I ran 5.5 miles on Friday. I was so proud of myself I could almost have cried. I felt like I could have kpet going but I started to feel it a bit in my knee so I decided to stop for the day.

I have NEVER ran 5 miles in my life and now I can say I have run over 5 miles. Keeping my pace reasonable was really helpful for me. Thanks for all the tips and advice. Self talk was really helpful for me and I went from "Melissa, you can do this. I know you can." to "Melissa you are a badass!"

Again, thank you guys. I am looking forward to see what happens from here- 6 miles here I come!

Have a great Monday.

congrats girl!! that is wonderful news!! glad those nuts didn't stop you!! :laugh: Have you signed up for a race yet?
  • pmkelly409
    Options
    Thanks!
    -April

you could try the inserts before you invest in a new pair of sneaks... how long have you had this pair? do you keep track of how many miles you have run in them?
  • hessied
    hessied Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Did 4 miles and a bunch of stadium stairs in between each mile.

Ketchie - to answer your question from yesterday, I guess you could say that I'm training - I'm just doing the Runner's World Smart Coach thingy. I have a 5 mile race and a 5K coming up at the end of the month. But ultimately I'm trying to get in shape for my first 10K in September. Enjoy your rest day today!!!
  • hessied
    hessied Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
    -April

I would definitely go to a runner's store and have them recommend a shoe that'll work best for the way you run. I wears Asics - so far, so good!
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    Morning Runners,

My goal today is 3 miles. I'm going at noon. I don't know if i'll be able to jog much because of the shin splints, but i'm going to try really slow first and see how it feels.

I hope everyone gets a good run.
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Morning Runners,

My goal today is 3 miles. I'm going at noon. I don't know if i'll be able to jog much because of the shin splints, but i'm going to try really slow first and see how it feels.

I hope everyone gets a good run.

Have you had your sneakers checked out since we're on the subject? Shin splints are not inherent of running. You shouldn't have to suffer through. Also, do you tap out your shins?
  • MargieM
    Options

Margie - aren't you doing the Couch to 5K?

Yes, I started with that, but I'm past the 9 weeks. I did alot of my training by minutes instead of distance, and I'm regretting that now. I don't run a 10 minute mile.... More like a 17 min mile right now. So, for the next 6-1/2 weeks I'm going to work on getting up to the 3 miles and improve my time. I've been hit and miss on running lately, so I'm going to do my 2.2 miles this week (it's once up and down my road) and then next week start my 3.1 loop again and work on improving my endurance and time on that. I live out in the country, so once I get my 3.1 loop down, I can branch out about anywhere from there.